Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #251
ParisTNDude

 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 1,971
Yeah, the Z28 is more prone to track use, but certainly the first magazine tests will be on the drag strip and skid pad. For the road course guys, I wonder if they think there are no quarter mile long stretches on their favorite road course? I would certainly want to know how fast it could make the trip. Besides, the 1/4 mile magazine tests are the standard (right or wrong) for determining a new cars power output. I think the Z28 will do well in the 1/4 mile, certainly would put a grin on any stock SS guys face!

I'm guessing close to 12.0@118
__________________
Current ride: 2006 Corvette, LG long tube headers, HF cats, Xpipe, Vararam, Vmax ported throttle body, Z06 bi-mode axle backs, Fast LSXR 102 intake, DynoSpeed tune




Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...html?r=1"]2010
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:52 PM   #252
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,447
There are plenty of 1/8, 1/4, and even 1/2 mile stretches in the road course world.

But we tend to hit them at anywhere from a 40-roll on up, beginning with some gear other than 1st, so standing start times and differences between them tend to lose a lot of meaning.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:56 PM   #253
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There are plenty of 1/8, 1/4, and even 1/2 mile stretches in the road course world.

But we tend to hit them at anywhere from a 40-roll on up, starting in some gear other than 1st, so standing start times tend to lose a lot of their meaning.


Norm
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:08 PM   #254
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There are plenty of 1/8, 1/4, and even 1/2 mile stretches in the road course world.

But we tend to hit them at anywhere from a 40-roll on up, beginning with some gear other than 1st, so standing start times and differences between them tend to lose a lot of meaning.


Norm


You would think that it's easy to understand.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #255
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 10 Legacy 2.5GT, ...
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 2,447
I guess by the time you throw all concern for burnouts, staging, reaction time, launch, and short times out the window, there isn't enough left to call it drag racing any more.


Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #256
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Yeah, the Z28 is more prone to track use, but certainly the first magazine tests will be on the drag strip and skid pad.
I don't think so. The first magazine tests will likely be on a road course with a pro driver...similar to Randy Pobst shaking down the new viper. My prediction is the results will be stunning!
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #257
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
I don't think so. The first magazine tests will likely be on a road course with a pro driver...similar to Randy Pobst shaking down the new viper. My prediction is the results will be stunning!
The tests will be the usually. 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0, skid pad, figure 8, slalom, and then a road test.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:23 PM   #258
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The tests will be the usually. 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0, skid pad, figure 8, slalom, and then a road test.
Actually this time things may be different since this Z/28 is so specifically a track car. I'm expecting the magazines will most likely do either a Virginia International Raceway road course test, and/or a Mazda Laguna Seca road course test. They'll probably have editors/writers doing some laps and compare that to a pro driver doing the same thing. They'll report on how the car handles and feels compared to whatever other cars they have out there for comparison. You can absolutely expect a "shoot-out" between the Z/28, whatever Ford comes out with, and whatever the Dodge car is called. It won't be 1/4 mile; it will be road course and lap times.

Honestly, 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-0 are pretty useless for what this car's designed for. Skid pad, figure 8, slalom might be interesting for the autocross crowd but chances are that crowd isn't going to be a big market for this car; it's going to be too expensive.

The people who can afford a Z/28 are going to want to go fast, and that means road course.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #259
drayco513
 
drayco513's Avatar
 
Drives: ss2/rs
Join Date: May 2013
Location: east ky
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Yeah, the Z28 is more prone to track use, but certainly the first magazine tests will be on the drag strip and skid pad. For the road course guys, I wonder if they think there are no quarter mile long stretches on their favorite road course? I would certainly want to know how fast it could make the trip. Besides, the 1/4 mile magazine tests are the standard (right or wrong) for determining a new cars power output. I think the Z28 will do well in the 1/4 mile, certainly would put a grin on any stock SS guys face!

I'm guessing close to 12.0@118
very well said , im the op on this and i kinda give up fighting this fight. but u said it probably the best yet.

im pretty sure the skid pad and 1/4 times will be the first test made public by a mag.
__________________
461/423 n/a
drayco513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #260
dekan513
chevy pride
 
dekan513's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: pikeville ky
Posts: 2,145
12.5 was released.
so im gonna say there will be some 12.2 or so come from it.
__________________

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #261
KKreme15

 
KKreme15's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dayton, MD
Posts: 1,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
12.5 was released.
so im gonna say there will be some 12.2 or so come from it.
Where was this released?
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #262
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Where was this released?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #263
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Mac!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/PeddersUSA



https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #264
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Some of the special models to vote for are disturbing......


ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #265
JusticePete
Rebel Leader
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Some of the special models to vote for are disturbing......


Time to like the Pedders USA page
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #266
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Time to like the Pedders USA page
I thought I already did.... Going to check now!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #267
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,393
Good to go!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #268
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
12.5 was released.
so im gonna say there will be some 12.2 or so come from it.
You mean a magazine guess?
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #269
dekan513
chevy pride
 
dekan513's Avatar
 
Drives: 2ss/rs
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: pikeville ky
Posts: 2,145
yep but theres more to it then that.
__________________

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #270
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
12.5 was released.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
Where was this released?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
You mean a magazine guess?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan513 View Post
yep but theres more to it then that.

Whats your source for th 12.5 quarter mile time release?
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #271
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
My guess on the z/28 1/4 times and mph is ZERO because nobody who buys one is going to want to be seen at a FREAKING DRAGSTRIP. I honestly don't get the 1/4 mile thing sometimes. It's not the be-all end-all of performance.

This car is a hunter; a production car killer. In the hands of a skilled driver it's going to terrorize production cars everywhere. Most drivers will lose their courage before this car will lose it's ability to perform. It's pretty much going to become THE car to have for HPDE, club events and track days. I can't wait to see the legend it creates for itself on the semi-pro/pro circuit. Nothing in this paragraph has or will have anything to do with 1/4 mile times.

Stingrays and Z/28s at Le Mans, Daytona, Sebring....there are some serious Chevy racing glory days just up ahead.
The be all end all of Camaro is the ZL1. and it's proven. If I wanted the best Camaro out there for all around race and street enjoyment ...it wouldn't be a car that is so low it's impractical. a car that has no creature comforts, and all the rags will confirm. but who is going to pay the $80k plus ADM to get one just to make it a trailer queen? be compliant Doc! The few that are made will be as out of reach for most. doubt any will be seen on the street anyway. and who talks about "just track cars" ....won't be produced enough to hope over IMHO.

Oh... 1/4 time = 12.2 due to gearing
__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #272
Glasstop2010RS

 
Glasstop2010RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Conv.RS faster than Princess
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Central New Jersey
Posts: 754
Z28 1/4 mile

11.9 ET 119.5 mph.
__________________
2011 Camaro RS Convertible M6
2010 Camaro 1LT 13.64 @ 102.mph.
2005 Pontiac GTO - 10.8 @ 124+mph.
Glasstop2010RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 AM   #273
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
The be all end all of Camaro is the ZL1. and it's proven. If I wanted the best Camaro out there for all around race and street enjoyment ...it wouldn't be a car that is so low it's impractical. a car that has no creature comforts, and all the rags will confirm. but who is going to pay the $80k plus ADM to get one just to make it a trailer queen? be compliant Doc! The few that are made will be as out of reach for most. doubt any will be seen on the street anyway. and who talks about "just track cars" ....won't be produced enough to hope over IMHO.

Oh... 1/4 time = 12.2 due to gearing
You don't go to road course tracks, do you? You would be AMAZED at what people bring to the track. I've seen people bringing cars worth a lot more than $80k on trailers, along with $100k+ motor homes as support vehicles.

I don't understand why there seems to be confusion about what the Z/28 is and what it's specifically designed for. The ZL1 is a great all-round car that can be taken on a track and do well. However the Z/28 is SPECIFICALLY designed to be optimal for road course track racing, just like the COPO is specifically designed for drag strip racing. Unlike the COPO however the Z/28 happens to be street legal. It's not intended to be a daily driver or a comfortable street car; that's what ALL the other Camaro models are for. It WILL BEAT all the other Camaro models on the road course, including the ZL1 because that's SPECIFICALLY what it's being designed to do.

So why is it street legal then? I highly suspect it's being set up for pro racing where it has to be street legal and produced in sufficient numbers to qualify as a production car; just like the original Z/28 needed to qualify for the SCCA requirements to compete in the Trans Am championship series.

Mark Stielow has said this car is designed to (and can) run out an entire tank of gas non-stop on the track without any overheating issues. That is clearly NOT for HPDE or autocross as none of those kinds of events allow you to run non-stop until you run out of gas.

You'd be surprised at how much people spend on their Camaros; way beyond the price of the Z/28 whatever it's going to finally be. It's not out of reach for as many as you might think. And this car is going to bring in customers that were never Camaro customers before; people who are used to spending 2 to 3 times that much and they're going to think the Z is a bargain! It's a special car for a special purpose and that specialty crowd has money. People thought the ZL1 was too expensive and yet look how many of those have sold. The Z/28 is going to sell more than you think.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #274
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
You don't go to road course tracks, do you? You would be AMAZED at what people bring to the track. I've seen people bringing cars worth a lot more than $80k on trailers, along with $100k+ motor homes as support vehicles.

I don't understand why there seems to be confusion about what the Z/28 is and what it's specifically designed for. The ZL1 is a great all-round car that can be taken on a track and do well. However the Z/28 is SPECIFICALLY designed to be optimal for road course track racing, just like the COPO is specifically designed for drag strip racing. Unlike the COPO however the Z/28 happens to be street legal. It's not intended to be a daily driver or a comfortable street car; that's what ALL the other Camaro models are for. It WILL BEAT all the other Camaro models on the road course, including the ZL1 because that's SPECIFICALLY what it's being designed to do.

So why is it street legal then? I highly suspect it's being set up for pro racing where it has to be street legal and produced in sufficient numbers to qualify as a production car; just like the original Z/28 needed to qualify for the SCCA requirements to compete in the Trans Am championship series.

Mark Stielow has said this car is designed to (and can) run out an entire tank of gas non-stop on the track without any overheating issues. That is clearly NOT for HPDE or autocross as none of those kinds of events allow you to run non-stop until you run out of gas.

You'd be surprised at how much people spend on their Camaros; way beyond the price of the Z/28 whatever it's going to finally be. It's not out of reach for as many as you might think. And this car is going to bring in customers that were never Camaro customers before; people who are used to spending 2 to 3 times that much and they're going to think the Z is a bargain! It's a special car for a special purpose and that specialty crowd has money. People thought the ZL1 was too expensive and yet look how many of those have sold. The Z/28 is going to sell more than you think.
I just don't think there will be too many Z-28's produced. Those that get them aren't likely to be using them much on the street -- like you said -- Any more than you'd see a COPO on the street.

If GM wants to use the Z-28 moniker to bring people into the showrooms, they will need to make a version of it that is a little more affordable . I am talking about a Camaro with the LS7 available as a 1LE option with CAI. Now, that would bring em in! Or Z-28 stage1, stage 2. Stage one being a little more wallet and street friendly version.
__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:11 AM   #275
102SS
waiting at the tree
 
102SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Niagara Falls
Posts: 730
Lambo's,Vipers,Ferrari's,Porsche GT3's ect ect at our small road course next to the dragstrip all the time.

Back to topic,I think with a good driver on stock rubber a 1.8x 60ft 11.8 at 117 in the 1/4.
__________________
2010 2SS/RS A6 DD K/N CAI
60ft 2.03 13.08 at 107.82 (4/28)
1999 TA NBM A4
12.2 at 110
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.