Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #1
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Trading for a '13....black SS 'Vert or silver SS/RS Coupe?

When I read these type of threads I always roll my eyes since a decision like this is personal, BUT others may see things differently and be able to help.

I will be trading in my IOM 2SS. I can rescue most of the mods I added except the Outlaw exhaust and painted interior pieces. I guess that's the chance one takes when doing things like that .

Both camaro's are 2013 models and 6spd manual. I have never ridden in a convertible, but having a "weekend sunny weather" play toy interests me. I just doing know if my psyche can handle having an open car because of blowing dust/dirt. I am SUPER, SUPER anal about keeping my 2010 camaro absolutely spotless (and it shows...the car still has a new car smell!). The top will probably be up 95% of the time, but when the weather is perfect, I'll drop the top and go for a cruise. I don't know if it has the orange interior. If it does, it will be a slam dunk!!! I'm thinking matte black stripes for a sort of phantom look I just hope and pray I don't get a nightmare top!

The silver coupe has the RS option which is halo lights and ?????? Obviously fully loaded. Not much else to say. I would put on Big Worm's pearl white metallic stripes. I think it would look sharp!!

I have a lot of red accessories ready to install....Maggie supercharger, Pedders suspension bushings, sways, and brake lines. These would look good on both, but maybe just a bit better on the silver. The convertible is $9000 more going by list, but with GM offering 0%, I want to get what I want and not let money dictate. Any one with either vehicle like to offer some advice?

There is also a red convertible I will stop in to see. The only down side is, it is an automatic. Now its not what you're thinking.....I think GM failed on the LOOKS of the shifter knob/shifter plate! But, I just turned 42 yrs old 3 days ago, and due to my younger bodybuilder days, my knees can get achy when its cold. Maybe something to consider when making my decision since the camaro clutch pedal isn't the softest. And this convertible is about $2000 cheaper than the manual, but maybe the black manual DOES HAVE the orange interior .
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
Big C CamaroSS

The three big changes on the 2013 models (comparing to my 2010) are the Mylink, heads up display, and back up camera. How are these features? Handy? Not a big deal?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
benji1997

Drives: 2013 IOM 2LT/RS M6
Send a message via Skype™ to benji1997
Mylink is quirky. The back up camera does not have guidelines in it. And the HUD is awesome. Living in Canada, you should be able to take advantage of the open roof maybe 2....3 days a year.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Camaro Convertible
I have a 2013 SS Camaro triple black convertible A6 and I love it. I live in Southern California and we have top down weather all year round. Having a convertible is like having two cars in one. Two different looks and environments.
I prefer black over silver, as black as depth and shine. Silver is easier to keep clean and shows the lines a bit better. I like having the auto. Just easier to drive anywhere. Get a Range AFM unit or a tune to disable the AFM. My car has a 3/2013 build date and there are no TSB's on the top. They improved them for 2013 along with the tonneau cover. I drove for 80 miles with the top down at 70+mph with the wife, windows and windscreen up and you can converse and listen to music easily and you do not get blown around. The car actually feels smoother to me with the top down. I like the MyLink, back up camera, and the HUD. Another nice improvement for 2013 is electronic steering. I agree with you on the shifter and plate. Looks a little odd and cheap. Good luck.
Attached Images

SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
You would spend an extra $9,000 for a vert that you would probably only have the top down 5% of the time? And in Canada, what does that equal - 3 days a year? Wish I had your money.

I'm kind of partial to SIM coupes.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
richpen

Drives: 2010 2SS bone stock
How about the moonroof instead.
richpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Having owned a 2011 triple black vert l99 and now a 2013 manual ls3 crystal red....I friggin love the manual compaired to the automatic.....Never does the thing say shift denied when trying to paddle shift "fake shift", or do i have to wonder if making a turn i need to stay in the same gear and disable paddle.....I still think paddle shifter should have been on the stick or immovable not following the steering wheel. See his pics of his black vert....what a pain in the arse it was to keep clean, every speck every dust crumb shows up. let alone water spotting with a lot of waxes, I experimented and finally just used nufinish...goes on in the sun even, minimal spotting when drying. I have seen two camaros around here that do shows...both guys two toned their paint...like gold sides etc.... My crystal red had people liking it better than their two tones with all the money they sunk into it............On the convertible top......Pain, had to use sunbrella to protect and bead water here in rainy oregon, have four dogs and six cats....fur flys from everywhere to attach to the top...and yes you have to wash the top and then its ok if you use a good microfibre and work form the center out to get rid of fur. Not that I didnt love the convertible feature, it was just a pain to get the not very well attaching tonneau cover on, and usually just used it driving home after work with out the cover like in his pics.......And I see he has the windscreen efectively blocking use of the back seats......ANd of course wife would bitch if driving too fast with out windows up at least because of flying hair and...would have to turn the heat on.........And allways park with the top up, and worry if some punk with a knife would like to break in and cost me thousands.............And yes it weighs 300 lbs more than the coupe, has softer suspension and i like the suspension in my 2013 coupe much better.

The 2013 has the leather on the dash, the revised rear suspension with the toe links and trailing arms out side the shocks, the back up camera, mylink, the retro mirror, both front seats being power and height adjustable with improved bolstering, and HUD that i use all the time.........NOT a fan of the stock 2013 wheels i swapped them. When i traded in the 2011 the top had recall and then the dealer had to do it as the padding needed reinforced etc etc though i had no problem with it. Only slightly annoyed by AFM and frankly get the same or better gas milege with the manual and love it so much better. And appreciate the lines of the coupe compaired to the vert as it is more muscular and can have louvers if desired. MY 2013 has heritage grill, dual mode exhaust and sun roof. The dual mode exhaust rocks and is nice to hear when putting the power down. Frankly i would have bought a silver over black with the same options maybe........and especially if i knew the pain black would be, and that well black is black, it may look classic or what ever but a lack of metallic in the paint is pain to hide any defect in with water spotting etc.....And no I am not gonna spend hours waxing over and over and then using a what ever to what ever and buff and buff then.....Give me a break. PS working all day out in the sun every day it seems like I would be a natural to love the vert....NOt the case I get sun burned enough.........AND YES it has no uv protection shield invisible to the eye....lol You say a vert is $2000 less than a manual and its automatic? wtf? both are options adding price, If i were you i would get on autotrader and search other lots, and living in canada you are gonna need to use something on the top...oh and yes it noisier when it rains.....And If I were you I would look at me...just over a year or so with a vert, and i traded to the color i wanted in a hard top with the manual. Sports cars that are luxury cars is what we have will all the options that we have, if you want the automatic go for it but it may dissapoint you, and having built shift kitted auto trans with better torque converters and such ...its not just a step on it and go automatic.....as is most 1/4 mile or old hot rods, so its a automatic that wants to play super car paddle shifter that I frankly found annoying and slower than a stick and made me wonder how long the auto trans would last when trying to make it a manual......Hell I know i can make a clutch last and last from shifting well, but old school auto trans I could get 150k out of hammering it with over 400 h.p. floggin a lot.

Of course any car is what you put into it.............Good luck with your decision you are in canada...so three months of the year you could use a vert top a lot............Then nine months of the year you could have to worry about its maintenance if you really want it to last. Mine beaded water 100% and I had to order the sunbrella online...no one around here had it.
2013 2SS/RS LS3 M6 ,CRT, 500rwhp 460 torque mustang dyno,dual mode ,sunroof ,heritage grill clear bra, TSP cam, Stainless power headers HFC, CAI induction, Vmax PTD, LPW diff cover, BMR strut brace,trailing arms, toes, bushings, Rocket racing wheels, catch can, clutch reservoir, under dash/body lights LED, DRL lights/halos, Dash kit, Custom striping and Sparks badges and Engine badge, Corvette Stainless engine cover, etc.
christianchevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Blu Ray

Drives: 2013 BRM 2LT/RS/M6
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Your on the BEACH?? I would have shied my pants to drive on that sand, looks like u got a little dig behind the back wheels

FOUNDER
NY/NJ/PA DOMESTIC CAR CLUB
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
christianchevell - the shift denied is so you don't send your car into redline. If you watch your rpms and speed you should never get shift denied. Hope that clears thing up for you.

OP I love my auto. Seeing as how I test drove the manual first and was more impressed with the auto I'd definitely take a drive and see how you like it. Good luck and whichever one you get you'll have a blast with.

''Second place is a fancy word for a loser''

Last edited by SuperSport2011; 06-16-2013 at 02:50 PM.
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
meshamey
Meshamey

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / 2014 Camaro
Talk the dealer into swapping the exhaust, I decided to ask and guess what, They actually agreed. I told them that that was the the only thing stopping me from trading. They said they do it a lot

just my 2cents
meshamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
When I read these type of threads I always roll my eyes since a decision like this is personal, BUT others may see things differently and be able to help.

I will be trading in my IOM 2SS. I can rescue most of the mods I added except the Outlaw exhaust and painted interior pieces. I guess that's the chance one takes when doing things like that .

Both camaro's are 2013 models and 6spd manual. I have never ridden in a convertible, but having a "weekend sunny weather" play toy interests me. I just doing know if my psyche can handle having an open car because of blowing dust/dirt. I am SUPER, SUPER anal about keeping my 2010 camaro absolutely spotless (and it shows...the car still has a new car smell!). The top will probably be up 95% of the time, but when the weather is perfect, I'll drop the top and go for a cruise. I don't know if it has the orange interior. If it does, it will be a slam dunk!!! I'm thinking matte black stripes for a sort of phantom look I just hope and pray I don't get a nightmare top!

The silver coupe has the RS option which is halo lights and ?????? Obviously fully loaded. Not much else to say. I would put on Big Worm's pearl white metallic stripes. I think it would look sharp!!

I have a lot of red accessories ready to install....Maggie supercharger, Pedders suspension bushings, sways, and brake lines. These would look good on both, but maybe just a bit better on the silver. The convertible is $9000 more going by list, but with GM offering 0%, I want to get what I want and not let money dictate. Any one with either vehicle like to offer some advice?

There is also a red convertible I will stop in to see. The only down side is, it is an automatic. Now its not what you're thinking.....I think GM failed on the LOOKS of the shifter knob/shifter plate! But, I just turned 42 yrs old 3 days ago, and due to my younger bodybuilder days, my knees can get achy when its cold. Maybe something to consider when making my decision since the camaro clutch pedal isn't the softest. And this convertible is about $2000 cheaper than the manual, but maybe the black manual DOES HAVE the orange interior .
Happy belated birthday,

Sounds like some very important decisions are on the surface for you! We wish you all the best in your search and ask that you keep us updated on how the process shapes up.

Best regards ,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
parkermoeder

Drives: 2011 Camaro ss
Wouldnt get a convertible if your only going to use 5% of days. IMO it doesnt look nearly as good as a coupe with the top up and if your not going to use it much, itll be up all the time.
-Stainless Power headers
-Cold Air Inductions Intake
-Blue oracle halos
-Satin black ZL1 replicas
-315 invos and other cosmetic mods
parkermoeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #13
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Conv all the way!! I absolutely love mine, but I rode in them all my life.
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Big C CamaroSS

Guys I had a curve ball thrown at me driving into work this morning....specifically a 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE in black at the small GM dealership 3mins from the plant. I nearly S**T my pants . The car was GORGEOUS and I was instantly in love . Its 98% perfect from the Oshawa plant and I can only think of a few mods I would do....blue metallic bow ties, matte black tail light bezels (matches hood ), Llyod's mats (but they don't have a 1LE option so I'm thinking "CAMARO"), and FINALLY my red Magnuson TVS2300 and Pedders suspension parts!

Thank you everyone that posted. If we can't make this work, we're heading to Toronto to check out a silver 2SS/RS and a black 2SS/RS!!!