Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2013, 06:38 PM   #5279
AZ Charlie

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Redline Motorsports SC725
Best home defense is a shotgun with a light source on it. I have the choice for any home defense weapon imaginable. I have shot through all types of wall surfaces and vehicles. The only home defense weapon I will use is a shotgun.
AZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #5280
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
The trouble with a long gun for home defense is both hands are tied up. If some one breaks ink your home it's going to be a close quarter issue with the long gun, unless its a serbu shorty
I like to have a hand to block as you most likely will need to.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 PM   #5281
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
The trouble with a long gun for home defense is both hands are tied up.
what the heck are you going to be doing with the other hand, a crossword puzzle?
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #5282
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
The trouble with a long gun for home defense is both hands are tied up. If some one breaks ink your home it's going to be a close quarter issue with the long gun, unless its a serbu shorty
A hand won't block much against those that break into your house with a crowbar or baseball bat.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #5283
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
You'll use whatever is handy.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #5284
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thats why you have a sling that way if you have to go to handgun you can just drop the long gun and you are good to go,
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 AM   #5285
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: Like a idiot
^^ now we are cookin!!!
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake
|brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's|billet 5mm spacers|tinted tail lights&markers|pdmi|billet c. can|
'13 Avenger R/T
'77 T/A 6.6;, draining my wallet.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:42 PM   #5286
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
I used to do high speed low drag building entries, with an M4 most of the time " narcotic warrants", it actually doesnt take much time at all to transition from long gun to handgun. It just takes a little practice
Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 AM   #5287
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Do want...

Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #5288
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Headed to the gun show this weekend...feeling the need for a new weapon.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 PM   #5289
AZ Charlie

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Redline Motorsports SC725
I have been biting my lip on this but for those of you that purchased an AR for home defense INSIDE THE HOME is not an intelligent move. First - caliber has no kinetic energy - no stopping power. Their is better kinetic energy from a 9 over the 556, even with frang ammo. Second - unless you know exactly what is behind your target it is going right thru the person and into the next room, neighbor's house, etc. You will need multiple shots for each intruder with a 556 or a clean head shot which is not easy with a moving target. I hope this helps and am not wanting to offend anyone but it is just nonsense that someone says they are going to use an AR platform inside a home.
AZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM   #5290
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
I have been biting my lip on this but for those of you that purchased an AR for home defense INSIDE THE HOME is not an intelligent move. First - caliber has no kinetic energy - no stopping power. Their is better kinetic energy from a 9 over the 556, even with frang ammo. Second - unless you know exactly what is behind your target it is going right thru the person and into the next room, neighbor's house, etc. You will need multiple shots for each intruder with a 556 or a clean head shot which is not easy with a moving target. I hope this helps and am not wanting to offend anyone but it is just nonsense that someone says they are going to use an AR platform inside a home.
I would use this inside the home.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #5291
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
No kinetic energy? 5.56 fired at the close ranges associated with HD would be devastating on soft tissues. The bullet would tumble and fragment inside the body. The temporary cavity created would be much larger than that of a 9mm hollow point. The issue with 5.56 is at extended ranges where the velocity drops off below the point where it will tumble and fragment.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #5292
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
No kinetic energy? 5.56 fired at the close ranges associated with HD would be devastating on soft tissues. The bullet would tumble and fragment inside the body. The temporary cavity created would be much larger than that of a 9mm hollow point. The issue with 5.56 is at extended ranges where the velocity drops off below the point where it will tumble and fragment.
That's why home defense should incorporate nothing less than a 30-06 and a 16" bayonet

All kidding aside, the idea of shooting through a wall or three and injuring or killing an innocent is a sobering thought. I'd prefer to rely on a loyal and powerful dog for protection in my home. Barring that my choice would be my P226 in 9mm as opposed to any rifle I have, as it is very reliable and very accurate and very easy to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
A hand won't block much against those that break into your house with a crowbar or baseball bat.
On the other hand, pun intended, a free hand can more easily open a door, etc. I would have no illusions about becoming a ninja and parrying crowbar blows with my rifle while deftly maneuvering to bring it into play. If I see him and I have a pistol, I'm not allowing that to happen anyway. If an intruder has the drop on me, if he surprises me and I don't see him, I'm done no matter what. Instead I'd really like the dog to be chewing off his arms

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 06-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro gun