Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Off-topic Discussions Discuss any off-topic subjects with other members.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:20 AM   #5276
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8OPEC View Post
Got my order confirmation from Barrett!

I should have my rifle mid July!!!

Freaking sic!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #5277
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

Drives: dangerously
picked up a safe queen of a ppk! spent the morning at the range and man i am liking this little guy.

o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake|tinted tail lights | brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's |
'10 2Lt Camaro; being beat up by the woman......
'77 T/A 6.6;,kre-d port heads|10.5 compression. forged rotating assym.|hydro. roller valve train| 850 quad-zilla.
Vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #5278
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Taylor Made SLDR
Nice little gun there
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #5279
AZ Charlie

Drives: 2010 Camaro Transformer Edition
Best home defense is a shotgun with a light source on it. I have the choice for any home defense weapon imaginable. I have shot through all types of wall surfaces and vehicles. The only home defense weapon I will use is a shotgun.
AZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #5280
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

The trouble with a long gun for home defense is both hands are tied up. If some one breaks ink your home it's going to be a close quarter issue with the long gun, unless its a serbu shorty
I like to have a hand to block as you most likely will need to.
o; Slp loud mouth I|maganflow x-pipe|Injen long ram intake|tinted tail lights | brembo brake upgrade| russell s.s. lines|2LT polished 19's |
'77 T/A 6.6;,kre-d port heads|10.5 compression. forged rotating assym.|hydro. roller valve train| 850 quad-zilla.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #5281
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom_vroom View Post
The trouble with a long gun for home defense is both hands are tied up.
what the heck are you going to be doing with the other hand, a crossword puzzle?
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #5282
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
The trouble with a long gun for home defense is both hands are tied up. If some one breaks ink your home it's going to be a close quarter issue with the long gun, unless its a serbu shorty
A hand won't block much against those that break into your house with a crowbar or baseball bat.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:54 PM   #5283
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
You'll use whatever is handy.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #5284
2010CamaroOutlaw

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Thats why you have a sling that way if you have to go to handgun you can just drop the long gun and you are good to go,
2010CamaroOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:55 AM   #5285
Vroom_vroom
The gritos pollo!!!

^^ now we are cookin!!!
Old 06-20-2013, 04:42 PM   #5286
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
I used to do high speed low drag building entries, with an M4 most of the time " narcotic warrants", it actually doesnt take much time at all to transition from long gun to handgun. It just takes a little practice
Old 06-21-2013, 02:07 AM   #5287
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Do want...

Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #5288
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Headed to the gun show this weekend...feeling the need for a new weapon.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #5289
AZ Charlie

I have been biting my lip on this but for those of you that purchased an AR for home defense INSIDE THE HOME is not an intelligent move. First - caliber has no kinetic energy - no stopping power. Their is better kinetic energy from a 9 over the 556, even with frang ammo. Second - unless you know exactly what is behind your target it is going right thru the person and into the next room, neighbor's house, etc. You will need multiple shots for each intruder with a 556 or a clean head shot which is not easy with a moving target. I hope this helps and am not wanting to offend anyone but it is just nonsense that someone says they are going to use an AR platform inside a home.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #5290
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
I have been biting my lip on this but for those of you that purchased an AR for home defense INSIDE THE HOME is not an intelligent move. First - caliber has no kinetic energy - no stopping power. Their is better kinetic energy from a 9 over the 556, even with frang ammo. Second - unless you know exactly what is behind your target it is going right thru the person and into the next room, neighbor's house, etc. You will need multiple shots for each intruder with a 556 or a clean head shot which is not easy with a moving target. I hope this helps and am not wanting to offend anyone but it is just nonsense that someone says they are going to use an AR platform inside a home.
I would use this inside the home.
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #5291
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Charlie View Post
No kinetic energy? 5.56 fired at the close ranges associated with HD would be devastating on soft tissues. The bullet would tumble and fragment inside the body. The temporary cavity created would be much larger than that of a 9mm hollow point. The issue with 5.56 is at extended ranges where the velocity drops off below the point where it will tumble and fragment.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #5292
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
No kinetic energy? 5.56 fired at the close ranges associated with HD would be devastating on soft tissues. The bullet would tumble and fragment inside the body. The temporary cavity created would be much larger than that of a 9mm hollow point. The issue with 5.56 is at extended ranges where the velocity drops off below the point where it will tumble and fragment.
That's why home defense should incorporate nothing less than a 30-06 and a 16" bayonet

All kidding aside, the idea of shooting through a wall or three and injuring or killing an innocent is a sobering thought. I'd prefer to rely on a loyal and powerful dog for protection in my home. Barring that my choice would be my P226 in 9mm as opposed to any rifle I have, as it is very reliable and very accurate and very easy to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
A hand won't block much against those that break into your house with a crowbar or baseball bat.
On the other hand, pun intended, a free hand can more easily open a door, etc. I would have no illusions about becoming a ninja and parrying crowbar blows with my rifle while deftly maneuvering to bring it into play. If I see him and I have a pistol, I'm not allowing that to happen anyway. If an intruder has the drop on me, if he surprises me and I don't see him, I'm done no matter what. Instead I'd really like the dog to be chewing off his arms

Last edited by ChrisBlair; 06-21-2013 at 06:53 PM.
ChrisBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #5293
KeepItShut

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangeruss View Post
I would use this inside the home.
*drool*

I know you've posted it before but I don't get tired of looking at it!
KeepItShut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #5294
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
AR inside the home, non-AR... Can anyone point to anything that suggests an AR to be potentially more dangerous to your surroundings than a handgun? Because everything I read says otherwise. The only time I ever read about an AR being a worse choice for home defense is from personal opinions and Joe Biden's comrades.

I'm assuming everyone has seen this... probably a dozen times, and probably even somewhere in this thread?

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel..._FAQ/index.htm

I guess what I'm asking, Charlie and the others who think an AR is a bad idea in the home... do you have any source that says otherwise? Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers either, but I've never read it.

As far as the kinetic energy debate...

55gr bullet (3.6 grams-ish or .0036 kg)
Muzzle velocity about 3200 fps (about 975 meters/sec)

147gr (9.5 grams-ish or .0095 kg)
Muzzle velocity is about 1050 fps (320 m/s)

230gr bullet (15 grams-ish or .015 kg)
about 850 fps (about 260 m/s)

Kinetic energy is 1/2 mv2

So

1700 joules, 486 joules and 507 joules respectively.

Or if you would prefer, 1253 ft/lb 359 ft/lb and 373 ft/lb respectively.

In no way does any .223 have no kinetic energy, especially when compared to a handgun round. However, kinetic energy and penetration are not proportional, otherwise you'd be looking at some odd 48" ballistic gel penetration for .223, which is not the case at all. And I say 48" because the gel for those handgun rounds seems to be 12-14".

Anyway, nobody can argue with the math. But if you want to argue (if one wants to cal it that... discussing is just fine) interior wall penetration and wound penetration afterwards, I'd like to see a source. Again, not trying to be abrasive, but I've never read any different.

And Russ. Gimme your gun. I want one.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia

"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:16 AM   #5295
Bhobbs

Here it is in slow motion.

Last edited by Bhobbs; 06-22-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #5296
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
AR inside the home, non-AR... Can anyone point to anything that suggests an AR to be potentially more dangerous to your surroundings than a handgun? Because everything I read says otherwise. The only time I ever read about an AR being a worse choice for home defense is from personal opinions and Joe Biden's comrades.
I don't know about that, but I do know that one of the attractions of the AR is it's choice of multiple calibers. Assuming that the caliber is .223 and then making a statement that this is what an 'AR' is, is like saying all blue cars have V6 engines. I have a friend with an AR in .458. Mine is in 5.56. Obviously different animals.

But I do know that I disagree strongly with suggesting that a gun enthusiast who has a differing opinion than yours is a 'Joe Biden Comrade'. That would be the same thing as me replying to you with "you're a wannabe Operator". How does that advance the discussion?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #5297
Mr pogo

Drives: 96 Imp SS, 13 Camaro 2SS AGM
Talking

Old 06-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #5298
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
But I do know that I disagree strongly with suggesting that a gun enthusiast who has a differing opinion than yours is a 'Joe Biden Comrade'. That would be the same thing as me replying to you with "you're a wannabe Operator". How does that advance the discussion?
The point wasn't the comment. The point was they don't give any reference to support any of their claims. Like... a double barrel shotgun is better? I'm not calling anybody anything. I'm just saying that's the only times I've ever heard that argument about an AR being a poor home defense weapon. Always opinions, but nothing to back up the opinions.

I always love to learn, and reserve the right to alter my opinion when presented with new evidence. That's what I'm looking for, and have not ever been presented with any evidence that really supports an AR being a poor home defense weapon. In fact, I always read the contrary... with the one generally accepted point that there can be a disadvantage going through your house with a long gun... of any kind. And even that... I'm not convinced.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia

"We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box."
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:00 AM   #5299
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItShut View Post
*drool*

I know you've posted it before but I don't get tired of looking at it!
Thanks...definitely one of my favorites. How can you go wrong with 16 rounds of .45?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #5300
AZ Charlie

My .02 is from experience and insight from others with first hand experience. Also on a civilian side with neighbors I just do not understand that mentality that would tell you that an AR would be a good firearm to choose when you do not know what is beyond your target. I am not here to argue or prove my point...just my .02

The FNX 45 is a great sidearm...just add a light and you are good to go!

Tags
camaro gun