Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
educate me on throttle body upgrades (sc'd L99)

The title says it all basically, educate me on them... what is the benefit, what is the restriction, what are the downsides, what are the cost to power benefits.... and let's keep it semi limited towards the L99, with a touch on supercharged vs. Non supercharged.

All info is helpful.

If I posted this in wrong section, please let me know...
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
The title says it all basically, educate me on them... what is the benefit, what is the restriction, what are the downsides, what are the cost to power benefits.... and let's keep it semi limited towards the L99, with a touch on supercharged vs. Non supercharged.

All info is helpful.

If I posted this in wrong section, please let me know...
What supercharger? The centri doesn't benefit from the 102. The pd blowers do.
L99 or LS3 makes no difference.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Edelbrock e force
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Edelbrock e force
I'm not 100% sure how much gain you'll get with a 102 tb on that blower. It depends on how big the snout is or if it can be ported. If it can you'll gain anywhere from 20-25 rwhp from the 102. More air + more fuel = more power.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Something I should probably skip out on then? I'm thinking of getting a smaller pulley for the sc, just kinda want to get some other affordable mods in at the same time as the tune... we are about to close escrow on our first house, so this will probably be my last set of mods for a long while....

Just trying to find a worthy mod in lieu of the smaller pulley.
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Something I should probably skip out on then? I'm thinking of getting a smaller pulley for the sc, just kinda want to get some other affordable mode in at the same time as the tune... we are about to close escrow on our first house, so this will probably be my last set of mode for a long while....

Just trying to find a worthy mod in lieu of the smaller pulley.
No, it's a worth while mod. Dropping pulley sizes can lead to problems. Belt slip, to much boost, just to name a few. 25 rwhp is nothing to sneeze at for $500. Assuming the snout is already 102mm or bigger.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
No, it's a worth while mod. Dropping pulley sizes can lead to problems. Belt slip, to much boost, just to name a few. 25 rwhp is nothing to sneeze at for $500. Assuming the snout is already 102mm or bigger.
I have a 3.875" pulley, im just dropping to a 3.5" (which comes with the LS3, the L99 gets the 3.875"

My thought on the TB was the same, $500 for easy gain if the snout is wide enough, just don't know those numbers or much about its usefullness
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #8
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Probably helpful to mention I'm at 5-6 lbs of boost with the pulley I have now.
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
I have a 3.875" pulley, im just dropping to a 3.5" (which comes with the LS3, the L99 gets the 3.875"

My thought on the TB was the same, $500 for easy gain if the snout is wide enough, just don't know those numbers or much about its usefullness
The E force I'm not familiar with. The Maggie and Whipple see great gains with the 102 tb. With the Eforce being a pd blower you should see similar gains. You'll have to look into the snout size. The Maggie needs porting but the whipple doesn't.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Probably helpful to mention I'm at 5-6 lbs of boost with the pulley I have now.
So a few more # would be fine.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Cool deal, I'll have to get it measured and see if it would be worth it... I'm sure the minute I have to port the snout it will be out of my budget though, I don't quite trust myself with doing that ha.

I'm trying to get to 550rwhp or close to it, not sure how far off I am with the smaller pulley and tb, but I ran out of time and $$ so whatever that gives me will have to do.
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Cool deal, I'll have to get it measured and see if it would be worth it... I'm sure the minute I have to port the snout it will be out of my budget though, I don't quite trust myself with doing that ha.

I'm trying to get to 550rwhp or close to it, not sure how far off I am with the smaller pulley and tb, but I ran out of time and $$ so whatever that gives me will have to do.
You're in Cali so I wouldn't get my heart set on a number. No headers or aftermarket cai will kill you. That pulley drop may bet you another 34-40 rwhp.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Yeah, I have LT borla headers, cat delete, resonator delete to flowmasters and AEM custom CAI, and I'm at 443rwhp... I'm betting I'll be around 500rwhp at most with the pulley and Tb depending...

I debated between going to a 3.4" pulley, but I dont know enough of what could go wrong internally, or otherwise, so feel best to go with the 3.5"...
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #14
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Yeah, I have LT borla headers, cat delete, resonator delete to flowmasters and AEM custom CAI, and I'm at 443rwhp... I'm betting I'll be around 500rwhp at most with the pulley and Tb depending...

I debated between going to a 3.4" pulley, but I dont know enough of what could go wrong internally, or otherwise, so feel best to go with the 3.5"...
I would start with the 3.5.

What type of dyno did they use? That number seems low that's why I thought no headers and cold air kit.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #15
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I would start with the 3.5.

What type of dyno did they use? That number seems low that's why I thought no headers and cold air kit.
I thought I was the only one who thought that, a lot of tune shops said that seemed about right when I talked to a few about it... I'm not very sure what kind of dyno it was, here's the sheet though...

Name:  Dyno.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  140.1 KB
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
The supercharger is rated at 554hp to the crank, 20% loss to the wheels... bone stock it was at 318hp, which is 20.5% loss from the crank 400hp)
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #17
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
I thought I was the only one who thought that, a lot of tune shops said that seemed about right when I talked to a few about it... I'm not very sure what kind of dyno it was, here's the sheet though...

Attachment 526853
Something isn't right. You were at 369 with the bolt on which is dead nuts on an L99 car.

Then with the blower you gained roughly 70 rwhp. That's almost impossible. Even at 6 psi you should gain between 100 -120 rwhp. Typically it's 20 rwhp for every lb of boost.

Before you change anything I'd investigate this. Talk to your guy. Talk to some other tuners because you are way off.

In this case the type of dyno is irrelevant. You car was done on the sane dyno and produced average bolt on numbers. I was thinking maybe they used a mustang dyno which is usually 10-20% lower than most other dyno's. which would explain the low rwhp blower numbers.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #18
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
318rwhp bone stock, I entered with 369rwhp with LTH, cai, flowmasters, no cats no tune... came out with 443 sc'd, tuned and cai kinda became obsolete since they hacked it up... AEM custom built a new one for us shortly after, but didn't get it re tuned yet.
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
The supercharger is rated at 554hp to the crank, 20% loss to the wheels... bone stock it was at 318hp, which is 20.5% loss from the crank 400hp)
As you increase the power that drivetrain loss percentage drops. It it sucks up 82 rwhp stock it's doesnt use 88 rwhp with the blower. It's still only uses the 82 rwhp. So the drivetrain loss at 443 is 18%.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #20
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
318rwhp bone stock, I entered with 369rwhp with LTH, cai, flowmasters, no cats no tune... came out with 443 sc'd, tuned and cai kinda became obsolete since they hacked it up... AEM custom built a new one for us shortly after, but didn't get it re tuned yet.
Get the new cai and have then retune it. Then start from that point. Gaining 70 rwhp from a blower is ridiculous.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #21
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
Something isn't right. You were at 369 with the bolt on which is dead nuts on an L99 car.

Then with the blower you gained roughly 70 rwhp. That's almost impossible. Even at 6 psi you should gain between 100 -120 rwhp. Typically it's 20 rwhp for every lb of boost.

Before you change anything I'd investigate this. Talk to your guy. Talk to some other tuners because you are way off.

In this case the type of dyno is irrelevant. You car was done on the sane dyno and produced average bolt on numbers. I was thinking maybe they used a mustang dyno which is usually 10-20% lower than most other dyno's. which would explain the low rwhp blower numbers.
Good to know all of this cuz I wasn't very impressed with the SC numbers to this day... i had it done in Arizona, over the weekend, and i don't live close to there, was out there on work so i had it shipped there... i don't have a tune guy or any shops down here that i really go to on a reg basis, still trying to find one, have 3 referrals to shops, but talking to them they're all kinds biased against edelbrocks sc'r so m still searching...

The shop i took it too was very familiar with them and said nothing but good things and how many they've installed... they had 3 Camaros in there with them when i got there, so trusted their judgment and work...
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:14 PM   #22
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Good to know all of this cuz I wasn't very impressed with the SC numbers to this day... i had it done in Arizona, over the weekend, and i don't live close to there, was out there on work so i had it shipped there... i don't have a tune guy or any shops down here that i really go to on a reg basis, still trying to find one, have 3 referrals to shops, but talking to them they're all kinds biased against edelbrocks sc'r so m still searching...

The shop i took it too was very familiar with them and said nothing but good things and how many they've installed... they had 3 Camaros in there with them when i got there, so trusted their judgment and work...

The blower is gd, maybe the tune isn't. But something isn't right. That number just seems low to me.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Yeah, i have a number to a shop in Ontario here I'm calling tomorrow that was given to me by a friend, so hopefully he will think like this also and will give me a good estimate.
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Sandy Hook, CT
Posts: 12,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkn95u0 View Post
Yeah, i have a number to a shop in Ontario here I'm calling tomorrow that was given to me by a friend, so hopefully he will think like this also and will give me a good estimate.
You should try Cunningham Motorsports in Murrieta. I don't know him personally or his work but I've read nothing but great things about Ryne. He seems to know his stuff.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
Mkn95u0
 
Drives: L99
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: CA
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
You should try Cunningham Motorsports in Murrieta. I don't know him personally or his work but I've read nothing but great things about Ryne. He seems to know his stuff.

I tried to get ahold of this shop actually, AEM referred me to them but they never seem to answer via email nor phone... this other place is called CBM motorsports... basically specialize in GM cars and LS motors... i will try Cunningham again though, more research the better, if i can get ahold of them this time around.
Mkn95u0 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.