Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #732
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
There were a few on track incidence that caused the event to run late. I missed my flight so the updates are being written at the gates on my way home today.

Danny Popp was terrific in the L/28. We tried out a few new things. Some worked. Some didn't. We lost a lot of time braking early to compensate. It really slowed us down. We ran the second fastest lap time on the road course. We'll try to do better the next time out.

What happened to Bruce would have hurt most drivers. With year of seat time Bruce calmly gathered the car and moved safely off track. Well done Bruce. It is a great reminder. Be careful out there.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #733
mlee
Charter Circle Member
 
mlee's Avatar
 
Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 27,204
Wow...that's some serious G forces there.
__________________
.
mlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #734
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
When Bruce tears it down we hope to learn more. I am not aware of any other simultaneously CV and Toe Link failures. Road America is fast and rough. It could be we were at the limits of both or one caused the other to fail. Loss of control could be caused by a radical change in toe or loss of power to one wheel coming out of a turn. That the CV clunking occurred at the same instant... hmmm
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #735
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,852
What does the toe link look like?

Did that axle totally bind up when the CV joint went out?



Both failing at the same time as a coincidence is too far fetched.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #736
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
The toe link is deformed.
The shaft clunks when the wheel rotates.

Using all of the track including the turtle back may have had one or both rear wheels off the track. Coming down on one wheel could cause a dual failure. We have not torn it down so we are not sure the clunk is the CV. Is it the wheel bearing, differential, bent shaft? Our track side evaluation is the CV.

Did they occur together? We have front facing video that shows the shudder at the same time loss of control occurred. Bruce knows first hand the car was perfect, glued to the track right up to the loss of control and simultaneous clunking. We know toe links don't clunk. The clunk is in a rotating assembly.

We'll tear it down and see what we see.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #737
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The toe link is deformed.
The shaft clunks when the wheel rotates.

Using all of the track including the turtle back may have had one or both rear wheels off the track. Coming down on one wheel could cause a dual failure. We have not torn it down so we are not sure the clunk is the CV. Is it the wheel bearing, differential, bent shaft? Our track side evaluation is the CV.

Did they occur together? We have front facing video that shows the shudder at the same time loss of control occurred. Bruce knows first hand the car was perfect, glued to the track right up to the loss of control and simultaneous clunking. We know toe links don't clunk. The clunk is in a rotating assembly.

We'll tear it down and see what we see.
Looking forward to learning something... Sorry about the failure...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #738
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
Looking forward to learning something... Sorry about the failure...
No need to apologize. If Pete is anything like me he'll see this as a chance for improvement.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #739
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
No need to apologize. If Pete is anything like me he'll see this as a chance for improvement.
Two suspension guru's break the suspension... they're in hog heaven!

... I hear the Six Million Dollar Man intro playing in the background

But seriously, glad it wasn't any worse
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 PM   #740
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
Two suspension guru's break the suspension... they're in hog heaven!

... I hear the Six Million Dollar Man intro playing in the background

But seriously, glad it wasn't any worse
There's nothing wrong with taking the Six Million Dollar Man approach to things.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:13 PM   #741
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
If you ain't breakn you ain't rracen'.

Only six million. We may be over budget.

Last edited by JusticePete; 07-15-2013 at 05:33 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #742
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
More new 5th Gen suspension parts coming SOON.

I'll bet we are installing them the week of C5Fest at Bruce Raymond's shop. At the last FEST we had Bruce and his TEAM working late nights. They worked so late I decided they should be open 24/7 in addition to being the Dyno Shop for the FEST and my workshop.

I'm sure Bruce won't mind, but maybe we shouldn't tell him until the week of the FEST. I'll bet Bruce will run a Special C5FEST at INDY deal too. I think 15% off parts and labor should work.



Good thing Bruce likes me

Last edited by JusticePete; 07-16-2013 at 01:19 PM.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #743
right to travel

 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS 1LE SW
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Newport RI
Posts: 825
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??? details
right to travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #744
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by right to travel View Post
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa??? details
Stop by Bruce's shop before the FEST
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #745
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet




 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet's Avatar
 
Drives: SS/RS6sp,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51,Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woodhaven, Mich
Posts: 40,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Stop by Bruce's shop before the FEST
Bruce is Awesome!!!!


Can't wait for the Fest



....
Any ideas for a
"1LE Special"
that I can have for the Fest?

(..I may ...know of
a White 1LE..being built this week...)

__________________
Don't forget, I honor ALL DISCOUNTS THAT APPLY!
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Woodhaven, Mi ..only 20 min from Detroit Metro Airport!
734-479-7117 ...Direct Line

Available Camaro & Corvette Inventory
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM   #746
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 17,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Bruce is Awesome!!!!


Can't wait for the Fest



....
Any ideas for a
"1LE Special"
that I can have for the Fest?

(..I may ...know of
a White 1LE..being built this week...)

I am sure that Gerry will be burning some late nights getting all your clients ready for the FEST. If I were getting a 1LE Fest ready I would be looking at a 1LE Permagrin package. If I were a betting man, I would bet Gerry just might have the required components ready and waiting for a white 1LE in the shop.



EP1201HD, EP6577 and 32mm Z Bar. Go to PeddersUSA.com and search 1LE Permagrin
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #747
Mr Twisty


 
Mr Twisty's Avatar
 
Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Join Date: May 2008
Location: OK
Posts: 13,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
More new 5th Gen suspension parts coming SOON.

I'll bet we are installing them the week of C5Fest at Bruce Raymond's shop. At the last FEST we had Bruce and his TEAM working late nights. They worked so late I decided they should be open 24/7 in addition to being the Dyno Shop for the FEST and my workshop.

I'm sure Bruce won't mind, but maybe we shouldn't tell him until the week of the FEST. I'll bet Bruce will run a Special C5FEST at INDY deal too. I think 15% off parts and labor should work.



Good thing Bruce likes me
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet View Post
Bruce is Awesome!!!!


Can't wait for the Fest



....
Any ideas for a
"1LE Special"
that I can have for the Fest?

(..I may ...know of
a White 1LE..being built this week...)

2+2=
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Mr Twisty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #748
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet




 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet's Avatar
 
Drives: SS/RS6sp,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7/Z51,Z06
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Woodhaven, Mich
Posts: 40,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
2+2=

yep.....


Mr Twisty....




__________________
Don't forget, I honor ALL DISCOUNTS THAT APPLY!
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Woodhaven, Mi ..only 20 min from Detroit Metro Airport!
734-479-7117 ...Direct Line

Available Camaro & Corvette Inventory
My Summit White SS///My Pace Car
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston Area Speed Traps & Ticket Stories crzycicada USA - Texas 2 10-13-2009 09:16 PM
[DFW] Dallas Area 35th LE Gathering -- September 26, 2009 Brangeta USA - Texas 11 09-24-2009 11:24 AM
FS: 2006 GTO in the Dallas area blevina Autos For Sale / Wanted 10 05-28-2009 08:43 PM
Dallas Area - Start posting up performance shops to go to! Crowley USA - Texas 13 05-03-2009 02:33 PM
Saw a yellow SS in Dallas area. kmdrum79 Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery 23 03-30-2009 05:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.