Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions All DIY projects & discussions

Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #151
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianko View Post
For those of you using the stock plug: You should be installing a new rubber gasket after each oil change (yes, they do start to leak if you reuse them). Problem is, this is a "special order" item at most GM parts houses, costing $3.78. For $3.26, you can get a brand new oil pan drain plug with gasket, no waiting.

Gotta love GM thinking on this one...
Where can I get a new drain plug?

Going to be doing my first change soon, and just wanted to make sure I have everything I need...

Mobil 1 5W-30
Mobil 1 filter (part number M1-113)
Be sure to have plenty of towels, an oil tub, a torque wrench (if you have one), 15mm socket, an oil canister wrench (more on this later), and a funnel.

Only thing I don't have is the torque wrench. OK to do this without one?

Thanks for the tips!

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #152
E.T.

May have answered my own question, but is this the right one?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/201...rain_plug.html

Old 05-05-2012, 01:26 PM   #153
thahemp
Geek

Drives: 2012 Black LS3
Never thought to punch a hole in the filter. I changed my oil today for the first time ever without spilling a drop. Awesome.

You could change your oil on the living room carpet if you wanted to.

Thanks for that.
thahemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #154
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
I'm changing the oil for the first time tomorrow and I have 2 quick questions. Do I need to buy a new gasket for the oil pan plug? And I have a "big" jug of oil and 3 1 litre jugs. I thought I was good to go until I noticed the big jug isn't 5 litres, only 4.4. I need to get another 1 litre jug, don't I? And just store the 1/2 litre or so until the next oil change. Thanks.
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #155
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C CamaroSS View Post
I'm changing the oil for the first time tomorrow and I have 2 quick questions. Do I need to buy a new gasket for the oil pan plug? And I have a "big" jug of oil and 3 1 litre jugs. I thought I was good to go until I noticed the big jug isn't 5 litres, only 4.4. I need to get another 1 litre jug, don't I? And just store the 1/2 litre or so until the next oil change. Thanks.
I was wondering the same thing, and the consensus was that you don't need a new plug. Just be sure not to overtighten it when you put it back in.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220225

You need 8 quarts, which is 7.57 liters

Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #156
Big C CamaroSS

Drives: Black Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Right on
Big C CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #157
tonyko1
Banned

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible, IBM
Just got my Gold Plug AP-04 and it came with two washers. I am hoping one does the trick and the other is for the next change?

I do have to say I have used the same washer many times on other cars and never noticed a leak. One time I left it off as it fell in the hot oil and I didn't feel like fishing it out and still no leaks. I did put it back the next time though...
tonyko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #158
E.T.

Not sure about the two washers.

I did end up re-using the stock plug, and absolutely no problems so far. Tightened it to 18 ft-lbs with a tq wrench.

As a side note, I did find an oil leak, but it had nothing to do with my oil change. Turns out it was the infamous rear main seal leak Dealer fixed though, and it is good to go.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #159
tonyko1
Banned

Hey there E.T.

What a coincidence, I was born and raised in Cleveland, later in Bedford. Left for Oregon in 97 but return to visit from time to time.

Two great things about Oregon: No sales tax and no salt on the roads! You can buy quality old steel out here cheap!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #160
E.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyko1 View Post
Hey there E.T.

What a coincidence, I was born and raised in Cleveland, later in Bedford. Left for Oregon in 97 but return to visit from time to time.

Two great things about Oregon: No sales tax and no salt on the roads! You can buy quality old steel out here cheap!
Cool. I'm on the west side, but head east once in a while for work. Those sound like some good reasons to live in Oregon. Don't you miss the lovely Cleveland weather, though??

Old 06-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #161
tonyko1
Banned

Funny how we bought the same car huh,..........I think not.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #162
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
So I couldn't get the original filter off and couldn't find the right filter wrench for the factory filter. I ended up adding my drain valve, skip shift eliminator, and changing just the oil itself since i'm early on the change anyway.

What size should I buy?

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #163
E.T.

Are you asking what size wrench to buy?

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #164
snizzle
Recalled user

Yes. Although I understand it's different for the original vs the replacement filters available.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 07-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #165
E.T.

To tell the truth, when I went to remove the original filter, I discovered my wrench was too big. So I used the stick-a-screwdriver-in-it-and-turn method. It was on extremely tight from the factory. I replaced it with a Mobil1 filter and I have a wrench that fits that one. I'll post more info when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #166
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
To tell the truth, when I went to remove the original filter, I discovered my wrench was too big. So I used the stick-a-screwdriver-in-it-and-turn method. It was on extremely tight from the factory. I replaced it with a Mobil1 filter and I have a wrench that fits that one. I'll post more info when I get home if someone doesn't beat me to it.
Exactly the problem I had. I fit it at the store to the appropriate filter but now I know that doesn't work with the original installed at the factory.

I did buy a K&N filter with removal bolt on the head for future changes.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 06-25-2013, 11:48 AM   #167
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Read the first post of this thread before you tackle an oil change on your SS. My comments here focus on adub's step #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
4. Start draining the oil into the tub. Once it is at a drip, drain the filter. Here is a tip: drain the filter by punching a hole into the bottom of it using a small nail and a hammer. I neglected to do this and it turned into a big mess. It will be a much cleaner removal of the filter with all of the oil out of the canister. Also, do not use the wrench that I used to remove the filter. Use a filter top tool that can be put on a socket wrench. It goes over the top of the filter and makes it easy to unscrew with the wrench. The one you see in my first picture that I used is very cumbersome underneath the car and is hard to use due to the placement of the cats. Once the oil was completely drained, I actually ran another quart of clean oil through to get the last of the dirty oil out. I noticed a huge change in the color of the oil once the new stuff got to the bottom of the pan. Doing this for sure cleaned out the rest of the crud that may have been stuck in there.
Great tips here for changing oil. especially #4 regarding the filter. If you think you can remove the oil filter without dripping, you are wrong. There is a significant amount of oil in a sump above the filter that hold at least as much oil as the filter does. The "drain the filter by punching a hole into the bottom of it using a small nail and a hammer" tip is an excellent one.

Also, the use of an oil filter cap wrench is a must. You will have to wrestle with it to use an old-style oil wrench. It's very tight up under there but the Cap Wrench makes it a piece of cake. I got mine at O'Reilley's for about $6, Size B. And by the way, none of the sizes fit the Wix filter I had so I swapped it out for a Phram. Worked GREAT!

Many thanks to adub4185 for this post.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #168
tonyko1
Banned

I added the magnetized oil pan plug and the rare earth magnet around the filter at 2200 miles or so, maybe 2500........changed it last month at a year later, and about 6700 miles. Magnetic plug didn't show ANY particles, not even by chance.

So we took off the filter, being careful to keep it upright and not spill it (not easy when hot oil is spewing all over. We then poured the oil from the filter into a coffee filter and NO particles, again!

I put both magnetic items back as I paid for them but I am sure glad I didn't find anything!
Old 08-05-2013, 09:14 PM   #169
Flynnaz
Wicked Camaro

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to Flynnaz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnaz Send a message via Skype™ to Flynnaz
You can put a Zip lock bag around the filter after you loosen it a little, it helps keep the oil contained as you take it off. Also I used the same washer on my 2010 Camaro, no leaks after 8 oil changes, I used a Gold Plug magnet drain plug as well. This is the filter wrench I have used on everything for years, no issues.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-unive...1&blockType=G1

Mods so far: Ported Throttle Body/Airiad CAI/ Elite Oil Catch Can/Clutch reservoir separation Mod/Subthump/Foot well Lighting/RBG LED behind Grill/LED under Polished Strut Tower Brace/Vinyl Gill Blackouts/Skip Shift Eliminator/DYI Mild to Wild/AAC Plasma DRL's with Plug n Play harness/Blue LED Dome light, white LED trunk and Licence plate light/tinted windows/blacked out side markers and tail lights/Headlight Armor/Clear Bra/splash guards/Black Gorilla Locking Lug Nuts/Plastidipped Bow Ties and rear Tail Light Bezels/Emblem Pros Black Camaro letters/diodedynamics lighted cup holder (SS)
Flynnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #170
tonyko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynnaz View Post
You can put a Zip lock bag around the filter after you loosen it a little, it helps keep the oil contained as you take it off. Also I used the same washer on my 2010 Camaro, no leaks after 8 oil changes, I used a Gold Plug magnet drain plug as well. This is the filter wrench I have used on everything for years, no issues.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-unive...1&blockType=G1
Where the heck were you when we were doing this, ha! Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #171
jesse10

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinfulCamaro View Post
i just changed first oil at 2500 miles. i only put 6.5 quarts in. the dip stick is not very accurate. it read full and a little over the marks on the dip stick. do u know the best way to read the oil level. and to know exactly what to put in? i know it takes 8 quarts but it seemed full at 6.5.

2ss manual! thanks.
Yes, the dip stick doesnt read to well. 7.7 quarts is what I put in mines. Im sure nothing will happen of you put the 8 quarts in if you changed the oil after car has been sitting all night. Either way I put 7.7ish in it, the oil line sits right under the max line.
jesse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #172
jesse10

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS
When I got my fist oil change on the camaro At Bruce Lowrie of fort worth. They put in 9 quarts. I checked the dip stick and it was way over, they said it just needed more and that it will be okay. I had them re do the oil change while I watched 7.7 quarts did the job.
jesse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #173
QmaroSS
No regrets the red one!

Drives: 2012 Victory Red 2SS
Hey Guys,

I just completed my first oil change on my 2012 VR 2SS and I followed the write up on this thread. I used 8 qts of Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter. I was having a hard time getting started as I didn't want to screw anything up but now that I got it done I feel pretty good about it.

I really liked the suggestion to use a nail to punch a hole in the oil filter, that saved me a big mess. I also built a set of wooden ramps to lift the front up and then I jacked the rear up with a set of jack stands that I had.

I have to admit I was a chicken there for a little bit about getting under the car as it was still a tight fit, I got over it though. My 15 year old son kept razing me and laughing while I was building up the courage to get under the car, until I told him I was going to make him get under there. Then the laughing stopped.

Anyway, thanks for the write up it was awesome. I posted some pics of my Camaro lifted for the oil change.
Attached Images

QmaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #174
camaro2lt

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2lt VR/RS CGM Rally's
Does anyone know where I can buy a Magnetic drain plug for my 2010 V6?
camaro2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #175
Blade

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS SIM RS
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro2lt View Post
Does anyone know where I can buy a Magnetic drain plug for my 2010 V6?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1