Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #491
ForgedReality
Envy
 
ForgedReality's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Renton, WA
Posts: 722
What the hell happened to the write-up? :(
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #492
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..
 
With envy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Synergy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Buckley, WA
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
What the hell happened to the write-up? :(
Well hello Thomas. Never expected to see you here of all places!

In answer to your question; a few things.

1) This thread kind of fizzled out. There's an outfit on C5 that sells LED light pipe kits that do what the OP originally came up with this idea for.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181339

2) Now that I've been running EL wire for awhile, I've been able to observe EL wire's limitations first hand. I just had to make a replacement for my left halo a couple months ago. After installing it, I noticed a slight difference in brightness between the new and old halos. I knew I was overdriving them to the max for brightness, and the trade-off is a decrease in the life of the wire. Wire is cheap, and if you're making these things yourself, you can always make a few extras to keep on hand for replacements, but I'm thinking I want something better. Another issue with my fog light halos is that I can't make them for anyone else, my bezels are apparently an anomaly, and I've never seen any others that could accommodate the EL wire like mine can. People love the bowtie, and mine still works going on two years now, but I don't know how much longer it will. And I can't make them for anyone else unless I want to get a cease and desist letter from GM's lawyers for copyright infringement.

I'm moving in a new direction now, focusing on LED's. Their much brighter and more reliable. I've got a design on the drawing board inspired by your green DRLs, but if I can pull it off, it will take them to a whole new level. I haven't been able to work up a prototype yet because I'm into a big project at the moment. Hopefully this Summer...

I'm not writing off EL wire. It has some nice qualities. I'm sure someone will come up with a creative use for it, and I'll be here if they need any advice on how to use the stuff.
__________________
It's a Camaro thing...
Not everybody who drives a Camaro "gets it"...But everybody that "gets it", drives a Camaro! -GG

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #493
My Caroline

 
My Caroline's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,674
Am I missing something?
__________________
White Fender Hashes from Big Worm Graphix with Custom White Bowties
GM Factory Remote Start and Factory Key Fob
SS Fascia, Factory RS HIDs, Plasma P13W fog lights
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
3 inch round cut, rolled exhaust tips
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #494
5THGENRS
 
5THGENRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
What the hell happened to the write-up? :(
yeah why would you take it down? what does it hurt to leave it up? this really messes me up taking it down bc i have the pieces sanded and im needing the instructions to cut the tab and lay the tubing. i already have all the supplies from the old setup bought.
__________________
1000 = Order Placed (11/16/2009) RS Constraint
1100 = Preliminary Order Accepted (1/9/2010) Order # NSPHF8
2000 = Accepted by GM (1/12/2010)
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)
5THGENRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 AM   #495
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..
 
With envy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Synergy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Buckley, WA
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5THGENRS View Post
yeah why would you take it down? what does it hurt to leave it up? this really messes me up taking it down bc i have the pieces sanded and im needing the instructions to cut the tab and lay the tubing. i already have all the supplies from the old setup bought.
Are you talking about the across-the-dash ABL? If you are; as far as I know, all the information is still here in this thread. I'm not the OP of this thread. Forged Reality was talking about a couple different projects I did with EL wire that were otherwise unrelated to the ABL project. I was just saying that I abandoned plans to do a DIY of my own for those projects because I was dissatisfied with the final results, and did not want to lead someone else to do all this work (my projects, not the OP's) and be disappointed with what they get. If someone has an idea for something they want to create with EL wire, and need advice on using the stuff, I'll be happy to help. But I have not done the dash mod myself, and couldn't help you much with the project. However, I do believe there are some here that know what to do, and maybe they will be kind enough to post and help you.
__________________
It's a Camaro thing...
Not everybody who drives a Camaro "gets it"...But everybody that "gets it", drives a Camaro! -GG

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #496
5THGENRS
 
5THGENRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by With envy View Post
Are you talking about the across-the-dash ABL? If you are; as far as I know, all the information is still here in this thread. I'm not the OP of this thread. Forged Reality was talking about a couple different projects I did with EL wire that were otherwise unrelated to the ABL project. I was just saying that I abandoned plans to do a DIY of my own for those projects because I was dissatisfied with the final results, and did not want to lead someone else to do all this work (my projects, not the OP's) and be disappointed with what they get. If someone has an idea for something they want to create with EL wire, and need advice on using the stuff, I'll be happy to help. But I have not done the dash mod myself, and couldn't help you much with the project. However, I do believe there are some here that know what to do, and maybe they will be kind enough to post and help you.
All the pictures from the install from the OP are all gone.
__________________
1000 = Order Placed (11/16/2009) RS Constraint
1100 = Preliminary Order Accepted (1/9/2010) Order # NSPHF8
2000 = Accepted by GM (1/12/2010)
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)
5THGENRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #497
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 788
I have posted this before but I will say it again...The El wire is a nice mod for the short term. It will require lots of replacements and labor. It tends to last only a few months in direct sunlight even with very dark tinted windows. I have done the el wire mod to my car a few times and just got tired of taking the door panels apart every few months. To each his own though I would personally wait till there is a better LED option for this type of lighting.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #498
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..
 
With envy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Synergy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Buckley, WA
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5THGENRS View Post
All the pictures from the install from the OP are all gone.
I'd say PM the OP, but I looked him up, and he has the PM option turned off. I don't know what else I can suggest. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat300z View Post
I have posted this before but I will say it again...The El wire is a nice mod for the short term. It will require lots of replacements and labor. It tends to last only a few months in direct sunlight even with very dark tinted windows. I have done the el wire mod to my car a few times and just got tired of taking the door panels apart every few months. To each his own though I would personally wait till there is a better LED option for this type of lighting.
He's right. I posted pretty much the same assessment a few posts ago. It's cool stuff, but it has limitations. My advice is look into the LED light pipe kits available. That seems to be where everyone else has gone. (They weren't available yet when this thread was started. )
__________________
It's a Camaro thing...
Not everybody who drives a Camaro "gets it"...But everybody that "gets it", drives a Camaro! -GG

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #499
5THGENRS
 
5THGENRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 591
Yeah im already kinda disappointed with the el wire. I finished the install the night before the fest this year. Its a little dim then i would want but it doesnt distract you while driving. Today is the 24th and its already dead in sections on the long trim. The car is never outside, always in the garage, its rarely drove at night so the el wire isnt even on and it hasnt even been a month! I read that bending it a lot shortens the life and i did have trouble getting the el wire in the tube for the full length of the long trim so maybe that is the source of my issues hopefully. Any thoughts?
__________________
1000 = Order Placed (11/16/2009) RS Constraint
1100 = Preliminary Order Accepted (1/9/2010) Order # NSPHF8
2000 = Accepted by GM (1/12/2010)
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)
5THGENRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #500
With envy
It's a Synergy thing..
 
With envy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Synergy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Buckley, WA
Posts: 1,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5THGENRS View Post
Yeah im already kinda disappointed with the el wire. I finished the install the night before the fest this year. Its a little dim then i would want but it doesnt distract you while driving. Today is the 24th and its already dead in sections on the long trim. The car is never outside, always in the garage, its rarely drove at night so the el wire isnt even on and it hasnt even been a month! I read that bending it a lot shortens the life and i did have trouble getting the el wire in the tube for the full length of the long trim so maybe that is the source of my issues hopefully. Any thoughts?
I've never had it go bad that fast, but there are a lot of variables that can affect it. I've worked it around pretty good when fabricating with it without any immediate negative effects; but I also used to have a loop that I carried around in the car for demonstration purposes, and it stopped working, I figure, from being kicked around all the time. As far as sunlight is concerned, I'm not sure what effect that has on the wire. I'm not going to dispute that it has some effect, but my halos have been mounted on the fog/DRL bezels for about two years now, and I've only replaced one. The other, although somewhat dimmer now, still works.

I'm sorry you put all that work in only to be disappointed, but I see that you've checked into the light pipe. Now that you've got all that experience getting into the dash, hopefully the install will go that much easier for you when you go to put it in. Good luck!
__________________
It's a Camaro thing...
Not everybody who drives a Camaro "gets it"...But everybody that "gets it", drives a Camaro! -GG

With envy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #501
Pkrimmer
 
Pkrimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Black 2SS Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 56
EL Wire

This el wiring is getting faded out now. Ive had it in for 2 yrs and its starting to see breaking lights
Pkrimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #502
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrimmer View Post
This el wiring is getting faded out now. Ive had it in for 2 yrs and its starting to see breaking lights
2 years wow....mine didn't last 2 months
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #503
SimMan
 
SimMan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SIM Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 212
Send a message via Skype™ to SimMan
Does anyone know where there might be another link to the DIY. It doesn't show up here any more.
Thanks
__________________

The old and the new
SimMan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.