Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 06-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Will a ported throttle body factor into a dyno tune at all?

I know a tune isn't needed for a Vmax ported TB by itself, but I'm installing my CAI intake/apex scoop as soon as it's delivered (ordered from apex an hour ago ) and plan on having the car dyno tuned by race proven motorsports soon thereafter. I'm also interested in a ported throttle body to help the throttle response... my question is will a ported throttle body be factored into a dyno tune in any way? Should I wait until I get the ported TB installed to get the tune, or will it not affect a dyno tune whatsoever? Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
i am a fan of getting ALL the bolt ons before the tune. i like my tuner but not that much haha
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 AM   #3
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Lol yea no need to tune til you get Lt's
01 Ws6, m6, ASC#618 of 1583,40k Miles,shortblock built by AES the rest built by me,Ls3 416,FAST 102, NW102,LPE Ls3 heads

Join us:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/5138...3848358733509/
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatth1162 View Post
I know a tune isn't needed for a Vmax ported TB by itself, but I'm installing my CAI intake/apex scoop as soon as it's delivered (ordered from apex an hour ago ) and plan on having the car dyno tuned by race proven motorsports soon thereafter. I'm also interested in a ported throttle body to help the throttle response... my question is will a ported throttle body be factored into a dyno tune in any way? Should I wait until I get the ported TB installed to get the tune, or will it not affect a dyno tune whatsoever? Thanks!
Thanks for your order. A tune is not needed for that set of upgrades but if you are going to go ahead and do one it behooves you to have as much done as possible before you take it to the tuner. One thing you do need to check out with all that extra air flow is your MAF sensor.

"Weak" vs "Strong" Camaro SS MAF Sensors
Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
Bmatth1162

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Thanks for your order. A tune is not needed for that set of upgrades but if you are going to go ahead and do one it behooves you to have as much done as possible before you take it to the tuner. One thing you do need to check out with all that extra air flow is your MAF sensor.

"Weak" vs "Strong" Camaro SS MAF Sensors
Thanks Chase, I already checked and my MAF says K19 so I'm good to go. I know a tune is not NEEDED for a CAI intake/ported TB, but is there any gain to be had with a tune (from a reputable Chevy tuner... wants $350 for a dyno tune) on an LS3 after putting on the intake/TB? Or would a tune after the intake/TB really only benefit the L99 and not the LS3? With experience with my previous cars, I've always thought of an intake/tune as a normal combination, but if there is nothing (or very little) to be gained on the LS3 I don't think I'll bother. Thanks!

CAI intake, apex scoop, Vmax ported TB, MGW short throw, BMR 1" springs and sways
Bmatth1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
JDP Tyler

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
It should not make much difference, but I'd recommend getting it installed before the tune.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Click HERE to send me a PM | Sales@jdpmotorsports.com | www.jdpmotorsports.com | 888.308.6007
JDP Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote