Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Garage / Tools Discussions Discussions about garage setups and general tools discussions.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Nathan Moreno

Drives: G5.R
MAXJAX: Install and personal thoughts

As some of you who frequent the forum know, I’ve been in the building process with my car for quite some time now. I started with a basic toolset, and over time, seemed to amass a collection of really cool tools as my project advanced from simple heater-hose replacement to taking the engine out of the car. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in the whole project thus far, I’ve repeatedly found that having the right tools can mean the difference between painlessly getting the job done, with little effort, or potentially damaging your car or even hurting yourself.

Taking the engine out, for example, was probably one of the more tense moments we’ve experienced throughout the history of the build. Once the engine was chain-bolted, dismounted from the front-bay, and ready to go, there was a moment of concern... If one mistake was made… if something slipped, if something unforeseen actually happened… if this… if that… it could mean two things; someone or something could get hurt. First thing I thought? I wish I had a lift.

Now that I do, nothing has inspired more confidence than working with a lifted project vs. a grounded project, not to mention the additional awesome-ness of being able to comfortably work on the underside of the car.

There’s no questioning the fact that the MaxJax 2 post lift is awesome, so I’ll just go over why it personally benefited me, and why I like it so much.

1. It’s portable -
With just 5 bolts on each post, I could have it moved in less than 10 minutes. With limited space in my garage, I thought about the times when a lift might get in the way if they were a more permanent install, especially considering that if I ever move, I wouldn’t be able to take the lift with me. With a lift like this, I can easily take the lift with me to the next house, or even move it to a corner when I don’t need it.

2. Easy to install -
Assembling the MaxJax generally straightforward. Really, the only thing that’s going to take you the longest is drilling the holes in the concrete…. I recommend setting a chiropractor appointment for after, LOL.

3. Opens up a world of possibilities –
I can now do my own oil changes in-house, I can paint my undercarriage, I can lower the body onto my engine vs. lifting it back in (which would be even more terrifying than taking it out), or even disproportionately stare at the bottom of my car for long periods of time and just realize how awesome it is that a car is lifted in my garage….LOL

This is how it came shipped to my door…

Name:  Ship.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  79.3 KB

Here’s all the parts laid out

Name:  laidout.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  169.3 KB

Name:  laidout2.jpg
Views: 1099
Size:  92.7 KB

The electric pump being assembled

Name:  pump.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  100.5 KB

Fully Assembled

Name:  assembled.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  71.3 KB

Name:  assembled2.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  assembled3.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  assembled4.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  91.0 KB
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
Jim Burke

Drives: 45th 2SS Coupe
WOW. Very nice, looks like a pretty simple setup as well.

What did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?
Jim Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
Nathan Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burke View Post
WOW. Very nice, looks like a pretty simple setup as well.

What did it set you back, if you don't mind me asking?
Hey Jim, you're right on the install, it's pretty simple! I will post more pics of the install process. You can pick these up for about $2,200.

Last edited by Nathan Moreno; 05-06-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Nathan Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
Just found this.. quite hidden.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you remove the hydraulic hoses once the lift is completed?
2. When you remove them, how clean are the quick connects?
Old 07-08-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
DARK AGE 53

Drives: 2010 SS
Installing one of these is much different then installing correctly, if it's installed incorrectly you might be pushing up dandelion. You might want to go through this long thread first, http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ht=maxjax+lift there's plenty more threads about this topic on GJ.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #6
gahammerle

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS M6 Inferno Orange
A couple questions:

1. Is a standard concrete garage floor strong enough to support this, or do sections need to get cut out of the floor and filled with stronger/reinforced concrete?

2. I'm assuming bolts don't stick up out the floor when you move the lift - that there are inserts or something that are flush with the floor. Is that the case?

I would love to have something like this.

Injen CAI / Solo Mach-X LLT / Solo High-flow res-cats / Barton short shifter / RX Catch Can / RPI Gills / 35% tint / LED Footwell Lighting Front & Rear / Pedders Street 1 / Pedders steering rack bushing / SS struts / Pfadt drop springs / VMax Ported Throttle Body / Spohn Toe Rods / Spohn Trailing Arms / Trifecta Tune / MACE 25mm Intake Spacers

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/gahammerle
gahammerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
A couple questions:

1. Is a standard concrete garage floor strong enough to support this, or do sections need to get cut out of the floor and filled with stronger/reinforced concrete?

2. I'm assuming bolts don't stick up out the floor when you move the lift - that there are inserts or something that are flush with the floor. Is that the case?

I know there's a ton replies on the tread about this lifts but it would be wise read over them, as I said also there other thread about the lift you can check out also.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Justin Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
Just found this.. quite hidden.

I have a couple of questions.

1. Can you remove the hydraulic hoses once the lift is completed?
2. When you remove them, how clean are the quick connects?
1. Yes, you can.
2. they may leak a little as you pull the quick release off, but once you let go of the QR, the hose seals back up and nothing leaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahammerle View Post
A couple questions:

1. It depends on your how deep your concrete is. MAXJAX recommends no less than 4" deep concrete to support the lift. If you do not have the 4", you will need to cut out a square (i think 4' by 4'? dont quote me) and pour new concrete that is deep enough. Since many of the recently built socal homes have been built as cost-effective as possible, we were concerned we would have to go through the process. luckily we had just made 4".

2. nothing sticks up out of the floor. You'll need to drill holes and lay anchors in the holes which is what you will bolt down the lift to.

Last edited by Justin Moreno; 07-08-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Justin Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Justin Moreno

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53 View Post
Installing one of these is much different then installing correctly, if it's installed incorrectly you might be pushing up dandelion. You might want to go through this long thread first, http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ht=maxjax+lift there's plenty more threads about this topic on GJ.
WOW, I skimmed through that thread and lots of good information. Not enough time to go through the whole thing but it does look like a good thread. Thanks for the link
Justin Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Moreno View Post
WOW, I skimmed through that thread and lots of good information. Not enough time to go through the whole thing but it does look like a good thread. Thanks for the link

You're welcome, my guess is there's a lot of these lifts installed incorrectly.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #11
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
How high is your ceiling in the garage? Is the door right above you? How high are you able to get the lift? The reason I ask is because when my garage door is open it is over where the car is parked so I'm unsure if I'd have the room to use it effectively. On the Ram I own it is too tall to where in essence I would be just buying a $2k jack with not much more room to work with.

Last edited by bigwayne3000; 08-05-2013 at 12:53 AM.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
DARK AGE 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
How high is your ceiling in the garage? Is the door right above you? How high are you able to get the lift? The reason I ask is because when my garage door is open it is over where the car is parked so I'm unsure if I'd have the room to use it effectively. On the Ram I own it is too tall to where in essence I would be just buying a $2k jack with not much more room to work with.
Can't tell how tall his garage is but here's the lift specs http://www.maxjaxusa.com/specifications.html .