Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #18
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's still a selling point. Fuel economy is important with every class of vehicle these days, from subcompacts to sports cars.

All they said regarding fuel economy was that it would do better than the LS3's 26. You can go back and watch the first presentations. Hell most people were just expecting 27-28 MPG as GM's definition of "better than 26."
Weren't they calling for at least 30? I swear Jordan Lee said that in one interview. I know that magazines were saying at least 30 (not that I believe them).
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #19
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
That has to be the ZR1 ratings. The C6 LS3 is rated at 17 city 26 highway, and my fat pig LS3 is rated at 16 City 24 Highway (note that I am getting 14.1 )
That must be it but its funny they would have it as the first 6.2 listed, the regular 6.2 is listed as the second 6 speed. It is rated 16/26. They should list by model not just engine and transmission when you can have more than one with the same displacement. My mistake.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #20
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 14 Chevy Spark 1LT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 20,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Weren't they calling for at least 30? I swear Jordan Lee said that in one interview. I know that magazines were saying at least 30 (not that I believe them).
The auto may achieve that depending on gearing.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

The Bird is the word!
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #21
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,083
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Where did I say the performance is not impressive? I said that the economy in relation to the performance is unimpressive. I agree that the car is fantastic and I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Hmm. Can you please direct me to a car that has a more impressive fuel economy/performance combination? Because I can't think of another car that has that much power getting that good of mileage.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #22
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy/2000 Ford Ranger
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 33,686
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
No. A few people were talking 30 since current LS3 Corvettes can hit 30 on the highway if you try. GM's official position on the preliminary FE rating was over 26 MPG.

If the C6 will hit 30 in real world driving the C7 will have an even easier time doing the same.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

2003 GMC Envoy SLE - Airaid Cold Air Intake, Gibson Performance Catback Exhaust
2000 Ford Ranger XLT Regular Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That must be it but its funny they would have it as the first 6.2 listed, the regular 6.2 is listed as the second 6 speed. It is rated 16/26. They should list by model not just engine and transmission when you can have more than one with the same displacement. My mistake.
I've seen sites do that a lot, and I'm not sure why. I think the Camaro was listed with the ZL1 numbers, but they never designated the model. I think the LS7 gets 24 highway, so that listing must be the ZR1.
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #24
ShnOmac


 
ShnOmac's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: PNW
Posts: 13,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Only on Camaro5 would a 455 HP, 29 MPG sports car be unimpressive.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #25
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Hmm. Can you please direct me to a car that has a more impressive fuel economy/performance combination? Because I can't think of another car that has that much power getting that good of mileage
Porsche 911 Carrera S.
However, it isn't an apples to apples comparison since the Porsche is an auto and the C7 is a manual. HP goes Stingray, but with a claimed 3.9 sec 0-60 the performance is a wash, and it has 1 mpg city more, but loses 2 on highway. Again, not apples to apples considering the transmissions. The C7 auto should get highway milage close to this. I would like to add though that you couldn't even give me a Porsche. I hate them. C7 is a vastly superior car especially when price is factored in.
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #26
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,233
Wow. I'm impressed.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #27
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Wow. I'm impressed.
No one cares Chase
I kid. Since GM apparently didn't say 30 mpg, then I think it's more impressive, however I still don't think it is that amazing compared to the LS3.
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime
 
Steve Dallas's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07, AudiQ53.0T
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Camano Island, WA
Posts: 9,011
The choice between ZL1 and Stingray still looms ahead for me...

Wish it didn't have to be a choice...would love to get both!
__________________
'16 Corvette Z06/Z07, '13 Audi Q5 S-Line 3.0T
I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel I commit my weekly crime.
Steve Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #29
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
The choice between ZL1 and Stingray still looms ahead for me...

Wish it didn't have to be a choice...would love to get both!
Stingray
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,083
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Porsche 911 Carrera S.
However, it isn't an apples to apples comparison since the Porsche is an auto and the C7 is a manual. HP goes Stingray, but with a claimed 3.9 sec 0-60 the performance is a wash, and it has 1 mpg city more, but loses 2 on highway. Again, not apples to apples considering the transmissions. The C7 auto should get highway milage close to this.
You can get a manual for the Carrera S. And its 'automatic' is a PDK which is essentially an automated manual, so there isn't really any fuel efficiency lost there.

And they aren't all that close in hp. 400 vs 460 (or 465), thats a 15% difference. Its pretty substantial, and when you consider that the C7 gets better fuel economy ... well, lets just say I'm impressed. With the Stingray. Because no other car that I can think of makes that much power, while being that fuel efficient.
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #31
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
You can get a manual for the Carrera S. And its 'automatic' is a PDK which is essentially an automated manual, so there isn't really any fuel efficiency lost there.

And they aren't all that close in hp. 400 vs 460 (or 465), thats a 15% difference. Its pretty substantial, and when you consider that the C7 gets better fuel economy ... well, lets just say I'm impressed. With the Stingray. Because no other car that I can think of makes that much power, while being that fuel efficient.
I completely agree. The point though is that in an apples to apples comparison (I was comparing auto vs auto do to the performance numbers) the extra HP isn't really put to much use in 0-60. Unfortunately Porsche doesn't release quarter times because I'm sure the C7 would win there.
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #32
Apex Motorsports
 
Apex Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 25,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
No one cares Chase
I kid. Since GM apparently didn't say 30 mpg, then I think it's more impressive, however I still don't think it is that amazing compared to the LS3.
The current LS3 equipped Corvette makes 430 HP and gets 26 MPG. The Stingray makes 460 HP and gets 29 MPG. Let me present that another way. They built a V8 that makes more power and they also improved fuel economy by more than 10%. That is pretty solid.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #33
mikeyg36


 
mikeyg36's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533, 2016 2SS
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Garden City, NY/Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 6,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The current LS3 equipped Corvette makes 430 HP and gets 26 MPG. The Stingray makes 460 HP and gets 29 MPG. Let me present that another way. They built a V8 that makes more power and they also improved fuel economy by more than 10%. That is pretty solid.
I was joking. What people seem to be forgetting is that the LS3 didn't have AFM, and that the LT1 isn't making 460HP from a 3.1L 4 cyl.
__________________
“Driving a muscle car fast isn't that fun, it's driving one slowly and making a ton of noise and pissing people off, that's what’s fun.” –Matt Farah
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #34
sspolo
 
sspolo's Avatar
 
Drives: None at the moment :'(
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
I completely agree. The point though is that in an apples to apples comparison (I was comparing auto vs auto do to the performance numbers) the extra HP isn't really put to much use in 0-60. Unfortunately Porsche doesn't release quarter times because I'm sure the C7 would win there.
I don't understand how you don't think its impressive. You were asked to come up with a similar car and you did the following comparison.

Porsche Carrera S $100,000. 3.6 engine. 400HP. V6.
C7 $50,000. 6.2. ~450HP. V8.

You did say that it isn't apples to apples, but that comparison doesn't really make sense, IMO. The Porsche has a V6 and a smaller displacement. Even then it still comes below on the highway MPG. I personally, now even more, think that the C7 is impressive.

I haven't had the chance to try out a newer automatic car, so I don't know how it shifts. Although if they shift like the 2005 cars and below, I would hate a 7 speed automatic. A 7 speed manual would be fun though
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.