Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Raymonds Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
BiG_TiMe
SoCal HT5! [COTW 2/24/14]
 
BiG_TiMe's Avatar
 
Drives: Makayla
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 2,651
Upgrades to make the car last long term?

I plan on keeping my car for a very long time...basically I'm not getting rid of it. So my question is as for suspension, which products would you recommend me getting? This will be a daily driver only; very little to no racing. I'm looking into everything suspension wise so I'm assuming drop springs are out of the question if I want my car to last a long time without replacing the struts.

Oh and I have a V6
__________________
BiG_TiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
PfadtRacing
 
PfadtRacing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 3,377
What do you want to accomplish?
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
BiG_TiMe
SoCal HT5! [COTW 2/24/14]
 
BiG_TiMe's Avatar
 
Drives: Makayla
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 2,651
I basically want to get some upgrades that would keep the car in perfect working order say like 5-10 years down the road.
__________________
BiG_TiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
Apex Chase

 
Apex Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
I basically want to get some upgrades that would keep the car in perfect working order say like 5-10 years down the road.
Suspension upgrade should not harm of your car, but certain components do have an expected service life. In 5-10 years you will have to replace your struts regardless of whether you add lowering springs or not. Sway bars and bushings make a world of difference and will not have and negative effects so long as you do it right.
__________________
Apex Chase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #5
1LEMayhem
Wheel Man
 
1LEMayhem's Avatar
 
Drives: GXH 2SS 1LE - 1 OF 70
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 583
Catch can for starters...
__________________
1LEMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
BiG_TiMe
SoCal HT5! [COTW 2/24/14]
 
BiG_TiMe's Avatar
 
Drives: Makayla
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 2,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Suspension upgrade should not harm of your car, but certain components do have an expected service life. In 5-10 years you will have to replace your struts regardless of whether you add lowering springs or not. Sway bars and bushings make a world of difference and will not have and negative effects so long as you do it right.
oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
Catch can for starters...
got that already
__________________
BiG_TiMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #7
lscamaro


 
lscamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 9,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whether you keep the stock springs or do lowering springs, you'll have to replace struts at some point.


Personally, I don't think there's anything you can do that will be bulletproof forever. Most things at one point give out.
__________________

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
Apex Chase

 
Apex Chase's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, Ky.
Posts: 22,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG_TiMe View Post
oh ok, so whether i choose springs or coilovers doesn't matter because I'll end up having to replace the struts either way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whether you keep the stock springs or do lowering springs, you'll have to replace struts at some point.


Personally, I don't think there's anything you can do that will be bulletproof forever. Most things at one point give out.
Exactly. Even coil overs do not last forever.
__________________
Apex Chase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
cmb74656

 
cmb74656's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM/BLI A6
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Palmetto, FL
Posts: 978
I'm always amused when customers come to my salvage yard to buy used struts. You wouldn't buy used shocks, why are you buying used struts?
__________________
Dan Wheldon (1978-2011)

MODS: RX Performance catch can, Jegs CAI, ZL1 grille, chrome license plate frame, GM locking gas cap, Defender Worx chrome DRL bezels, GM molded splash guards, Oracle LED side markers, DRLs, tag lights and reverse lamps, Technostalgia Rapid Fire tail lamps, Vitesse shift paddle extenders, MBRP cat back.
FUTURE: long tube headers, front splitter, slotted/drilled rotors, leather console and e-brake handle boot, remote fuel door and rear seat release, sway bars and bushings.
WISH LIST: Edelbrock E-Force SC, LS3 conversion
cmb74656 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.