Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

MPD1
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
skirush

Drives: 2013 1LS
Removing and Painting Interior Trim pieces

I've seen several posts from people who have removed and painted their interior trim pieces. I have a few questions:

1) From the DIY thread that I found it looks like a big pain in the butt. The parts I'm talking about are seen here in light grey. This is not my interior, just a pic I found on the internet. My interior is all black except for those trim pieces. Mine are also light gray. To me, the light gray there makes no sense and I'd like to change it.

If I read correctly, it involves cutting things out and having to order replacement screws from GM. Am I reading the wrong thread? Please help me. How difficult is it to remove the interior trim pieces, bezel around the gauges, and middle door panel part? Can anyone point me to a post about this?

2) The pics from those who have painted these parts look rather shiny and smooth. I'm wondering how this can be. The trim parts in my car are not smooth. Rather, they are textured. Is this because I only have the LS? Do better versions of the camaro come with smooth trim pieces?
skirush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Ben Thur

Drives: 2010 Silver 1LT/RS
Hopefully this helps.
1) The Door Inserts are held in by plastic rivets. This links tell how to remove the rivets and what screws you need to put them back in http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=door+inserts
2) The bezel going around the gauge cluster will just pop off. take a screwdriver and pry it out. (Put screwdriver in a microfiber towel or go to autozone and buy a tool for removing interior pieces)
3) The LS is the only one with the light grey textured interior pieces. The 1LT/1SS have cloth interior. and the 2LT/2SS have dark grey smoth interior.
Ben Thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
Ben Thur

Drives: 2010 Silver 1LT/RS
I just got some inserts from RPI that I'm replacing my doors with so I'll let you know how install goes in a few weeks
Ben Thur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
skirush

I'm shocked...it's looks extremely involved and looks like a LOT of work. I'm also shocked GM would design the pieces in such a way that removal would require cutting plastic rivets. Makes no sense to me. I was hoping for much easier removal. Looks like an entire weekend project.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
2013BlackLS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I am actually in the process right now.

Sanded, primed and painted. Clearing with 6 Coates tonight to give shine and protection. I bought extra set of trim and door panels that were cloth covered.

Here are some pics. Haven't got to door panels yet with primer or paint (tonight) but have sensed texture down. Also I used gas after goo gone didn't really work.

Cold Air Inductions CAI • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • matte white hood spears and rear javelin stripe outlined in yellow pinstriping • Anvil Spoiler • Side Camaro emblem delete • Gloss black rear bowtie • heritage grill • SLP front splitter
2013BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
skirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013BlackLS View Post
I am actually in the process right now.

Sanded, primed and painted. Clearing with 6 Coates tonight to give shine and protection. I bought extra set of trim and door panels that were cloth covered.

Here are some pics. Haven't got to door panels yet with primer or paint (tonight) but have sensed texture down. Also I used gas after goo gone didn't really work.
How long is it all taking you? Was it a royal pain? How did the vinyl wrap go?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
2013BlackLS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'm painting mine, not vinyl.

Takin me an hour or so in stripping cloth, removing all gunk, sanding down each piece. Laying primer and three coats of blue. Let sit 24 hours and will do 5 or 6 coats of clear tonight.

Door panels I have just removed cloth sanded down and cleaned. Will prime those tonight and paint tomorrow for weekend door panel removal.

Just need to find out what size screws are needed to replace the rivets.
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • matte black hood, trunk and roof wrap • matte white hood spears and rear javelin stripe outlined in yellow pinstriping • Anvil Spoiler • Side Camaro emblem delete • Gloss black rear bowtie • heritage grill • SLP front splitter
2013BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
ubrimah
Oreo

Drives: Summit White LT/RS A6
i just installed rpi panels. The fitment on them was crap but the installation was way easier than i made it out to be in my head

ubrimah is offline   Reply With Quote