Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #51
Synner

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
First result on google:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-24125.../dp/B0018PSASU
Purple color is a bit goofy but it works great on daily driving. Stomping on the brakes to remove any glaze a few times can help too. This stuff will only help if sliding parts/friction is your issue.
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #52
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
So i just got my calipers back from powder coat... installed but didn't know about the bolts.. is this a 100% no go on reusing the bolts?

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:34 PM   #53
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
So i just got my calipers back from powder coat... installed but didn't know about the bolts.. is this a 100% no go on reusing the bolts?
pretty much...one use only...they are meant to stretch.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #54
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
how long exactly have you been sitting on this information?

but anyways...
This is not a new concept. This method has been industry standard for years.
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #55
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Went to follow your procedure, check out my brakes, very different pads!
Attached Images

snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #56
snaphappy

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS2/RS LS3
Ha! Did some research, now I get it! I had never seen roller skates, pretty exotic to me.
snaphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #57
JusticePete
Rebel Leader

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
pretty much...one use only...they are meant to stretch.
GM caliper bolts have been Torque to Yield (TTY) for over twenty years. Most GM Dealers have not yet seen that memo, nor has the enthusiast market. There are a handful of informed GM and independent service shops that do the job right, but they are in the minority.

Reusing the bolts will have no negative effect most of the time. Some of the time the caliper bolts come loose and fall out. A caliper stuck between the inner barrel of your wheel will sheer the control arm attachment points. A failure of this nature can be fatal and at the very least expensive.

The ONLY correct way to install a GM brake caliper is with NEW TTY bolts. If for some reason you cannot use a brand new TTY bolt use high temperature LocTite and the German technical spec gudentight.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #58
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Ha! Did some research, now I get it! I had never seen roller skates, pretty exotic to me.
I guess you figured it out. Those roller skates were supposed to cure the squeal after GM figured out that the added caliper weights weren't working. Unfortunately, they don't work either or you wouldn't be viewing this thread.

You should still be able to lube them up and fix your problem.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:39 PM   #59
Becca
Frog

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by snaphappy View Post
Went to follow your procedure, check out my brakes, very different pads!
I just noticed that the other day between my old 2010 and my current 2011! I was wondering what the heck those were and if I can get rid or them or not. I wonder how long the squeal would stay away since I live on a dirt road. Last time I had it at the dealership I asked about the squeal and they said there wasn't anything they could do and it was dust and environment..... I work on trailers currently in my current shop so I'm not dumb and have torn apart and rebuilt several drum and disk brakes so it was hard not to laugh at them right then and there. May have to try this, and since everything else will be taken off might as well upgrade the suspension!

IYAAYAS
Becca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #60
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
My brakes squeal but i dont think this will help. Mine squeal alot under hot temperature. (After braking at highspeeds
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #61
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
Worked for me

Thank you for posting this. I replaced my stock rollerskates (front) and rear with Hawk ceramic and got the squealing at lower speeds. Did the Hawk procedure for bedding in and it fixed it for a day and back it came.

I used your procedure along with some new caliper bolts and rotors on the front and the noise went away. I also hand sanded the front pads down slightly due to the new rotors. I couldn't find the caliper grease you listed locally, so I used CRC full synthetic caliper grease from O'Reilys and it works great so far.

Been running several days like this including multiple trips around town and one longer roundtrip this weekend (~100 miles) with no squeaking!!
2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 12:21 PM   #62
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
i didnt realize the caliper bolts were one time use...ill have to keep that in mind!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #63
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
Squeal came back - Went back to stock

The squeal came back, but wasn't as loud as before. In addition to the squeal, the Hawk ceramics didn't have the same stopping power as the stock pads. It wasn't a surprise, since I read other posts mentioning the lower stopping power. I decided to go back to my stock pads since they worked well and only had about 10k on them. Went back to my stock rotors (with new caliper bolts again) on the front after having them turned. Sanded the stock pads down with emory cloth too.

Still greased all the relevant parts down good like this tutorial shows, but I don't have any more squealing and I can stop better now.

This was an expensive and time consuming lesson for me between the Hawk Ceramic pads and new rotors on the front. I went ceramic because they worked well on previous non-performance cars and put off less visible dust. The added squeal and less stopping power wasn't a good trade off. I'll stick to semi metallic going forward and deal with the extra dust.

I'll probably sell the Hawks to another C5 member since they only have hardly any miles on them.
2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:16 AM   #64
Bo White
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Summit White 1SS
there is no sure fire way of doing away with brake squeal. Too many variables of were squeal can come from only to just do things right in every part of the brake job but still no 100% fool proof way of no brake squeal over the long haul.
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #65
brianko
Never enough time

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 6-spd
Nice writeup, kmcd...went all around with Hawk HPS (getting really tired of all the brake dust on my wheels), and now the squeal is gone!

It has been replaced with a rather pleasant monotonic tone of about 500 Hz at low speed/light braking. Guess that's better than the squealing.

I idly wonder if roughing up the rotors with 150-grit sandpaper like Hawk suggests would solve this new issue...

Update:

After a few days of driving around town all brake noise is now gone.

Last edited by brianko; 04-01-2014 at 04:26 PM.
brianko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 PM   #66
Jus1dab

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I'm marking this post............for later use