Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #101
redleader
redleader

Drives: 2010 V6 3.6L Auto 1LT
Send a message via MSN to redleader
OK so Im worried too.

Should I buy this or *something else?
--- Ring Automotive Ltd 1kg Abc Dry Powered Fire Extinguisher Ce And Bsi Approved http://bit.ly/12yJrd7

Where is the best place to mount it?
In cabin I would assume?
But where?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #102
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redleader View Post
OK so Im worried too.

Should I buy this or *something else?
--- Ring Automotive Ltd 1kg Abc Dry Powered Fire Extinguisher Ce And Bsi Approved http://bit.ly/12yJrd7

Where is the best place to mount it?
In cabin I would assume?
But where?
Have mine mounted right here, perfect spot.
Attached Images

Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:13 AM   #103
redleader
redleader

Thanks camaro-heater :-)
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #104
camaro-heater
22 years of slammin gears

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
No problem!
Engine/Performance> Magnuson TVS2300 @ 8lbs-Hennessey CAI-SLP 1 3/4" longtube headers w/ HF cats X pipe SLP Powerflow muffler-QTP dual oval electric cutouts-ZL1 fuel pump-RX catch can-ADM race air scoop,WW relocate-Hurst short throw shifter-
Tuned by: Boost Performance 550rwhp/538tq.
Drivetrain> DSS 3.5" aluminum ds-Street Slayer Twin Carbon-IdealG master cylinder-Tick ss clutch line&speed bleeder-GFORCE 1500 Outlaw axles-JRE rear end pkg(LPE 3.70's,true trac,billet main caps)-LPW rear cover-Nitto NT05's. Suspension> Minor stuff/bushings
camaro-heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #105
Jeff_SS
Cam only

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Thank you much man. Well I've got an order for a AGM ZL1 with Becky - no turning back now.
Best color. I'm going to be very jealous if you go the stealth look with it.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM   #106
JusticePete
CamaroCross Founder

Drives: Camaro Justice
Time for the curmudgeon in me to come out.

Engine bay fires are extremely dangerous. Opening the hood to use a fire extinguisher is more dangerous. Never, never feed a fire air. Unless you have an automatic fire suppression system under hood it is going to burn down. Get out of the car and run to safety.

Burning cars feel no pain.
It is not unusual for people with their clothing in flames to beg for death to end the pain.

There are quite a few first responders in here. Please speak up.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #107
ZooDad

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Engine bay fires are extremely dangerous. Opening the hood to use a fire extinguisher is more dangerous. Never, never feed a fire air. Unless you have an automatic fire suppression system under hood it is going to burn down. Get out of the car and run to safety.

It is not unusual for people with their clothing in flames to beg for death to end the pain.

I am in total agreement with Pete on this. No car is worth the pain of burns or even death. There is always tomorrow and another car.

ZooDad

Sent via Tapatalk
ZooDad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #108

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
OK, Pete...lol...Personally I've never seen a small fire-extinguisher "save" a car from an engine fire....(Maybe in the old days an air-filter could be put out from a back-fire...lol)....Best thing is stop in a safe area, if possible, turn off the ignition, call 911...odds are you won't be able to open the hood anyways...One of the first things to get ruined in a fire is the hood cable...

Numerous times I've seen several extinguishers used on car fires from the pd, good samaritans, etc....all laying on the ground expended and the fire still going...

Grab it and use it if you want, but get your passengers and yourself out of the car and a safe distance away first....Additionally, I wouldn't lay it horizontally....if they sit long enough, the nozzle gets clogged from the powder seeping out ever so slightly...

If anything it's more dangerous having a pressurized "can" in the cabin anyway...a passenger kicks the handle or whatever, and you got a huge mess on your hands...lol
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #109
Aubrey64

Drives: 2010 Camaro LLT/RS
Congrats on the ZL1! Are you planning on modding to the extent of your last Camaro?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #110
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:

Pete's spot on with this. Let's say I had had a fire extinguisher - I still wouldn't have opened the hood. Not only because it will feed the fire, but you run the risk of flashover when you open the hood.

It'd be use to contain/slow down the fire until everyone who was in the car was safely out.

But I'll tell you, as will any EMT/fire-fighter/paramedic; your own safety first, then the patient's.

Now, if I had the money to buy one of those fancy automated fire suppression systems (and the car was modded enough to where I could justify the cost), absolutely would I install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey64 View Post
Congrats on the ZL1! Are you planning on modding to the extent of your last Camaro?
On a lighter note - thank you everyone for the well wishes and congrats. I'll more than likely be keeping the ZL1 90% stock (performance wise I mean) - besides a catch can and cold air intake I am pretty sure they only performance mods will some Pedders red to help me with the twisties
Old 07-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #111
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
CONGRATS!
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:58 AM   #112
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:

Agreed. Open that hood to try to put out a fire and VOOM! You are now on fire yourself...with your clothes burning ON your skin.

But fire extinguishers (even outside the engine compartment) can save lives.

Just today.

Just today...

Major accident in front of the North Sub. It'll be on the news for sure. Two vehicle head on. One guy in one car already DOA. People in the other car were trapped and needed the jaws of life to get them out. First responders (police were there first) pulled their extinguishers since a fire had started in one of the cars (believe it was the decedents car). Officer is on the radio yelling for more extinguishers. Other officers arrive and put out the flames....resulting in the lives of those of the vehicle who were struck by the guy being saved.

no...there was no need to pry open the hood. There basically was no hood. In a situation like this, yes...fire extinguishers are a blessing. In a situation where you are driving down the road and up in flames, get out....don't open that hood. Either a supression system should be in place or it just ain't worth it.

Accident where cars are mangled and it doesn't matter? An extinguisher WILL save a life....or two like today.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #113

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If there's enough of them, and under certain circumstances they might be useful, like with the crash story....The point of my previous post was that don't think one extinguisher in your car will prevent your car from burning to the ground like Stig's...lol...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #114
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Guess who's TPW is this week......this guy's!
Old 07-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #115
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Nice!!! Seems fast, but then again, Im not the one waiting for my car to be built lol.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #116
tramtwo

Drives: 2013 1LE
Quote:
Very kewl
Old 07-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #117
swizlstik

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Sweet!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #118
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

hell yeah, brotha!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:40 AM   #119
mlee
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: Number Twenty-Three
Quote:
Awesome... can't wait for you to change that sig.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #120
fsusmithc2
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2012 1LT/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Awesome... can't wait for you to change that sig.
And start a new build thread? I forget if the idea was to keep this one going or not.

Good progress report on the ZL1 though. I don't know if I would have the strength to wait on a car to be built. I'd be outside my apartment rocking back and forth telling myself "It'll be here soon" over and over...
Appearance: Hexis vinyl cf bowties (Headlight Armor) - Oracle ABL interior, grill, and under-hood lighting, P13W plasma DRLs, ghosted sidemarkers - LSR billet strut retainers - 30% tint w/ 5% front strip - Dash plaque and under-hood bowtie by EmblemPros - Custom painted engine and fuse covers - Heritage grill - Gill stripes by Big Worm Graphix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Black paint isn't a hobby, its a career. Get used to it
*How to hug your Camaro*
fsusmithc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #121
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:

Pete, I love ya man, but in this case I disagree... I'm not a first responder, technically I am, but it's more of a "first on the scene with an extinguisher"... I've seen my share of auto fires, and am required by law to carry one. In some cases they're useless as teats on a boar hog, in others they can save auto's and even lives.

Los Angeles, a guy in a rustang runs over a plastic bag, it gets on his exhaust and starts a small fire. I watched the whole thing, stopped behind him, sprayed the bag and all was good. (punk didn't even offer to buy me a new extinguisher!)

Nevada middle of nowhereville, a chev SUV has electrical problems, by the time we got to it, everyone was out of the vehicle, but the car was a goner... if the owner would have had an extinguisher and any tool to kill the battery supply, it could have easily been saved without danger.... we still... almost... saved it.

I have stories that go both ways, in some the extinguisher is just a paper weight, in others it kept cars from burning to the ground.

Tag's example is a good one, and not a rarity...

In your argument,
Quote:
if that was you, wouldn't you also wish someone would come along with an extinguisher? I had an aunt, uncle, and their three kids burned severely in a car fire due to an accident. A friend with them was the one you described above, she didn't make it.

fortunately I've never been first at the scene on one of the bad ones, but if I am, I'm (somewhat) ready with an extinguisher and bolt cutters.

As for me and my cars, we will carry extinguishers... a pry bar is handy also.

It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #122
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I think what Pete was saying was an extinguisher inside the cabin wouldn't be of much use if there was a full flame fire under the hood....where it would be better to have a full extinguisher system installed. And a single extinguisher in the cabin would be good for the small fires, but if it's engulfed in flames under the hood, don't bother trying to open it (clothes, etc to skin)
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #123
redleader
redleader

So then ... anyone done, or anyone have info / links, for a Halon ring install for our Camaro's ?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #124
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I think what Pete was saying was an extinguisher inside the cabin wouldn't be of much use if there was a full flame fire under the hood....where it would be better to have a full extinguisher system installed. And a single extinguisher in the cabin would be good for the small fires, but if it's engulfed in flames under the hood, don't bother trying to open it (clothes, etc to skin)
I guess I take it for granted that most would step away from a vehicle with flames licking the fenderwells or grill, but most definitely yes.

Had one of those in a truck stop a couple of years ago, the fire was fuel fed and the driver was in the cafe. We just watched it burn, and it went down FAST... come to find out his pup was in the cab, that's why he left it on in the first place. Live and learn.

Next time I'm busting glass and checking the cab/sleeper... could have easily been a co-driver instead of a dog.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time."
"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
"Don't brake until you see God, just don't meet him"
Mr Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #125
2SSRS@Gen5diy
Salt & Pepper 2014 Z/28

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
And a drum roll for info on a new ZL1 that came to life today. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...........

PS are you going to name it George like the new baby?

Tags
aac, advanced automotive concepts, ashen gray metallic, bad@sszl1, build thread, fireball, gen5diy, pedders, the stig, zl1