Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:20 PM   #43
ss1129
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2010 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrp454 View Post
Because it kills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

too.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-810358.html

Wow in 2004 a there were a whopping 149,518 fatal car accidents.

A whopping 315 were from street racing.

Better put guns on the same level as street racing, because they kill thousands every year.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #44
camaro5

Drives: Off Into The Sunset
Quote:
Consider the following stats, compiled from a variety of national and state transportation agencies, and it's easy to see the answer is to take it to the track.

In 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reported that police listed street racing as a factor in 135 fatal crashes.

The total was up from 72 street-racing-related fatalities reported in 2000. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, more than 800 citations for illegal street racing were issued in 2001. In San Diego, where the street racing problem has been termed "epidemic," 16 deaths and 31 injuries were directly related to illegal street racing in 2001. The city's attorney's office prosecuted 147 illegal street racing cases in 1999, 161 in 2000, and 290 in 2001.

In Florida in 2001, 7,216 citations were issued for racing on the highway. In 1999, the Florida Department of Highway and Safety for Motor Vehicles reported 28 accidents related to illegal street racing, with 2 fatalities and 27 injuries. In 2000, the agency reported 39 racing accidents, with 1 fatality and 55 injuries. In 2002, there were 48 racing accidents, 1 fatality, and 60 injuries. According to the NHTSA, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death for people between the ages of 16 and 20. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says 5,749 teens died in the United States from motor vehicle crash injuries in 1999.

Nationwide statistics show that 49 people are injured for every 1,000 who participate in illegal street racing. As a result, city and state ordinances have been issued regarding illegal street racing. Though laws vary, here are some penalties faced by street racers: You can be arrested and have your car impounded for 30 days.

If convicted of street racing or aiding and abetting a street race, you can be imprisoned for up to three months and fined up to $1,000.

Spectators are subject to penalties as well. Your driver's license can be revoked. Your car insurance may be cancelled or the rates dramatically increased. Cars in and around illegal street races are often issued equipment violations.

http://floridaagainststreetracing.com/index.html
Old 07-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #45
The_Blur
Rock Chalk

Drives: Demon Super Sport
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
For me, street racing is an issue of class. If someone in a car that is less desirable is trying to justify their car by beating mine, it will only encourage them to take on bigger fish in the future. The people that are most likely to do this are driving economy cars or cars that have lost their value and are trying to justify that they can keep up with a superior, newer car. For instance, if that Civic DX is trying to play games with your Camaro SS on the highway, it is alright to give a wave or a rev, but all you will do by racing that Civic is giving the driver the impression that it is a worthy adversary when it simply is not worthy of racing.

Additionally, races on the highway have too many variables that are significantly reduced at the track. For instance, highway lanes are less likely to be evenly worn, more likely to have potholes, and much more likely to have civilians in the path of the race. Why would you want to run a less than superior race when you can run your best under ideal conditions on a well-treated track? Even if you remove the possibility of hitting someone from the equation, it just doesn't make sense to race on a road that could produce worse results than you might expect from you car.

It only makes sense to race at the track. Your numbers will almost certainly be better, you can prove that you won with a slip, witnesses will verify how fast your car is, and the odds of anyone dying by your vehicle are minimal.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #46
jonm38

Drives: 2008 Chevy Silverado, 13 Camaro ZL1
WOW, I can't believe a Lawer is promoting street racing. In Florida, if you are caught street racing, you have your car taken away from you, and the state owns it. You have all these drag strips throughout the states, if you want to race, put it on the drag strip. But be real, why run the risk of street racing and lose a brand new Camaro that cost you a ARM and a LEG???

Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
Just don't understand. Can someone answer me for real and dont tell me liability issues. I am a lawyer. The web site cant be sued for it.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #47
ss1129
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonm38 View Post
WOW, I can't believe a Lawer is promoting street racing. In Florida, if you are caught street racing, you have your car taken away from you, and the state owns it. You have all these drag strips throughout the states, if you want to race, put it on the drag strip. But be real, why run the risk of street racing and lose a brand new Camaro that cost you a ARM and a LEG???
Where did he promote street racing? I dont promote it or condone it, but its out there and I ocassionally do it.

I dont see the big deal about street racing when its fatalties are so minescule (?) when compared to dui crashes/fatalaties. Does florida take your car after a dui?

Its all bullshit since Fast and the furious came out. More pedestrians probably die getting hit by old ladies every year than people die from street racing. (that doesnt justify it btw) But why attack something so fiercely that doesnt really have that much of an impact.

Its like giving acne medication to someone who is terminally ill. Its not really solving anything.

How about they attack the bigger fish (DUI) with that harshness?

Its all bullshit.

I got a speeding ticket in stafford VA. 90 in a 65 on I95. In Illinois or Ohio its like a $90 ticket. In butt**** VA it was an $1,800 fine and six month suspension. Its just a bullshit money making law. A tractor trailor can go 75-78mph.....safe he wont get pulled over. But a car designed for higher speeds goes 80mph and holy shit its a wreckless driving!! **** him in the ass.

Glad Im not there anymore.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #48
jonm38

He said why not street racing stories.
I had a brother that was killed by hit and run DUI driver.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:58 PM   #49
jonm38

I don't drink, and when I lived in Florida, that was the law. You street race, you get caught, your vehicle gets taken away. I really don't think people should street race.
Now when I was going down to Pontiac's in the Park @ Virginia Motorsports Park, I had a Riceburner come up to my left side and wanted, I didn't race, because I was head to PINP in Petersburg, VA on I-85 south, just so happens, there was a cop sitting north.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #50
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss1129 View Post
Because it kills!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better put guns on the same level as street racing, because they kill thousands every year.
It's PEOPLE that kill, not tools !

Bats, knives, stones, power tools, cars, buses, trains, planes. All are tools. All can be used to kill. Hell, a PILLOW can be used to kill.

Get off it!

THANK YOU for banning that asshat!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #51
SS 376

Drives: IBM 1SS
Why no street racing? Because most of them are probably lies. Everyone posts their kills, but no one ever posts when they get their ass handed to them. Plus, once you've heard one, you've heard them all:

I was on (insert highway) and there was this guy in a (insert car, preferably one either more expensive or with more horsepower). He was (with/without his girlfriend). I wasn't planning on racing, but he revved at me/gave me the lights so I figured, what the hell. On three honks/when the light turned green, we hit it. He pulled on me initially/I immediately pull x car lengths on him. I shifted to (insert gear) and I began to pull on him and had x + y car lengths on him and was doing z MPH when I shut it down. He gave me the thumbs up/got mad and sped off.

Cue multiple "good kill!" or "nice!" posts. Occasionally, one or two "take it to the track" posts. Maybe I'm getting old, but the stories don't do anything for me anymore.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #52
ss1129
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
It's PEOPLE that kill, not tools !

Bats, knives, stones, power tools, cars, buses, trains, planes. All are tools. All can be used to kill. Hell, a PILLOW can be used to kill.

Get off it!

THANK YOU for banning that asshat!
A. I was being sarcastic about banning guns.

B. Im not banned

C. Calling people names on the internet makes you tough

D. Calling people names on the internet when you think they are banned and cant reply to you makes you tougher.

E. I hope your car has more problems than any other Camaro ever.

That is all.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:55 PM   #53
Fatstackz

Drives: 2000 SS Camaro/ 2007 300 SRT-8
Quote:

That is all.
"Don't you put that evil on us Ricky Bobby! Don't you put that evil on us!

I guess this explains all the dyno races, paper races, your cost X mine cost Y with mods. I would honestly rather hear some stories of somewhat sensible engagement on the street much more than all of this "When I get my SS it will be faster than whatever you are driving now" BS.

I quit reading this section because of that very thing. I had a great laugh coming back to check it out and this was the top thread.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:55 AM   #54
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
A. I was being sarcastic about banning guns.

B. Im not banned

C. Calling people names on the internet makes you tough

D. Calling people names on the internet when you think they are banned and cant reply to you makes you tougher.

That is all.
Thank you for proving my point.

Closed Thread