Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics Camaro ZL1 specific topics

Old 07-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #26
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Guys, what mrmertz posted is the reason you are having problems. What I posted is the temporary work around and the final solution.

Our engines run at 200 degrees, combined with the summer temperatures if you turn off the compressor and just use fan its going to feel hotter than it is outside.

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
mmarx82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #27
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakestang65 View Post
There is another thread where there is information on ZL1's being overcharged from the factory. Once a few ounces of 134 are removed, the systems performed much better. (Especially here in AZ). Take your car into the dealer and have them check.

John

Here is the thread : http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233355
They are not overcharged according to their specs, they just remove 2 ounces as a temp fix. So, either their specs are wrong or I think a more long term fix would be the compressor switch. the coolant removal would be a much cheaper fix and it worked with mine.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #28
mrmertz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
And the final answer is...

Took the car to dealer as I said I would today. The final synopsis for my car was that there is a tech bulletin out out on it. Bulletin stated that a/c system needed to be evacuated and then recharged. The tech stated he found out also that the system was 1 pound low on freon before evac. He noted that the a/c now blows at 45 degrees and cools quickly from the vents.

Well, sounds like the end of this thread...I hope! Hope this may help someone else also! And also as always, thanks for everyone's input!!!

***PLEASE NOTE - This is what was determined for MY VEHICLE - your milage may vary!***

Ticket quote:

"CUSTOMER STATES THAT THE A/C SEEMS TO TAKE A MINUTE OR MORE TO START BLOWING COLD AIR FROM VENTS.
INSPECTED
EVACUATED AND FOUND FREON 1 LB. LOW, RECHARGED WITH 1 LB. FREON. SYSTEM WORKING AS DESIGNED."

Last edited by mrmertz; 07-10-2013 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added info
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Snakestang65

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray ZL1
Not trying to fire up the "BS" bus and back it over a fellow tech, but where in the heck did a pound of refrigerent go on a new car? The car only takes .54kg of 134a anyhow. Last I checked that is only about 1.2 pounds... (Granted what is usually called a pound is really a can which is only 12 ounces).

With that much gone, the system should have not worked at all. Just my $0.02

Glad it is fixed. Keep an eye on it though as loosing that much 134a is a concern.

John
Snakestang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #30
mrmertz

Agreed. I think he was tryin' to make himself look good on top of the service bulletin! Whatever happened, I do notice it cools down quicker way faster than it used to.
mrmertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #31
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: Suzuki Hayabusa
My Mom actually had a mouse climb up inside her Xterra somehow and build a nest in the ductwork. Strange things can happen. I say get it checked, and have them check the air temp at the vent.

Edit: I started to say it was probably just low on refrigerant. I clicked post instead then saw you had the problem resolved. Glad that took care of it.
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 PM   #32
DangerZL1

Drives: Accord
I wouldn't say this is a hijack, but I posted about the heat over a year ago even when it's on cool vent during the summer. I always have my vent on regardless of the outside temp and I had to turn the AC on to get cool air on a mild night. Several people posted that the SSs do this too. This car produces a lot of heat. You can see the heat waves coming off the hood insert even during the day.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #33
zirotti

Just picked up mine this past weekend and it's one of the first things I actually noticed and made a comment to my wife about. Very cold.
zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #34
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: Mini Cooper S
I live in the Orlando, FL area where it's pretty freaking hot and humid for over six months out of the year. my Z's A/C does a pretty good job at keeping me cold and comfy.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #35
roSSco
∞ Smiles per mile

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Summit White A6
I'm constantly surprised at how much I have to turn the temperature up. Freezes me out -near Memphis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
2013 ZL1 #4739
'Heisenberg'
Color - Walter White
Roto-Fab CAI
On Reddit? Check out /r/ZL1/
roSSco is offline   Reply With Quote