Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

ZL1 Wheels/Tires Wheels and tires discussion for ZL1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Zanediver
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10
Launch control with low tire pressure

Haven't tried this yet, but will the ZL1 allow you to utilize launch control if the TPMS system is alerted on the dash? Wanting to drop some pressure at the strip.
Zanediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanediver View Post
Haven't tried this yet, but will the ZL1 allow you to utilize launch control if the TPMS system is alerted on the dash? Wanting to drop some pressure at the strip.
YES U CAN UTILIZE LAUNCH CONTROL WHEN YOU DROP TIRE PRESSURE BUT YOU WILL GET THE WARNING TIRE PRESSURES.
I DONT USE ANY NANNIES WHEN DRAG RACING AS THE LAUNCH CONTROL ACTUALLY SLOWS THE CAR. JUST TURN EVERYTHING OFF!!
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Silverguardrail

 
Silverguardrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 889
What RPM are you launching at with the nannies turned off ?
__________________
2012 ZL1 SIM, MN6, B92, RTQ


ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
SPOOKYGUNNER
ROCK
 
SPOOKYGUNNER's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL-1 TRIPLE BLACK VERT
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: DENVER COLORADO
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverguardrail View Post
What RPM are you launching at with the nannies turned off ?
I LAUNCH AT @1000RPM AND HAVE THE NANNIES OFF TRANS IS IN S MODE AND SHIFTS AT 6200. 60' TIMES ARE CRAP DUE TO STREET TIRES...BEST IS 1.997. WILL B GETTING DRAG RADIALS SOON. HOPE TO PICK UP .3-.5 IN 60' TIMES.
__________________
WHEN ONE AMERICAN IS NOT WORTHY TO BE FOUND...THEN WE AS AMERICANS HAVE LOST. POW/MIA YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN
SPOOKYGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
MichaelH
SOCAL HT5
 
MichaelH's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 M6
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,491
These tires arnt crap though lol there good and op manual or auto
__________________
2013 ZL1 M6 - Mods-in the works

Old vehicles
2010 CGM Camaro (sold)
Other Vehicles:
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R-115 RWHP in mid summer
2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS- For Sale; Lots of extras
MichaelH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #6
DavidW
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 361
transmission is S would be automatic...
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
jessrayo

 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverguardrail View Post
What RPM are you launching at with the nannies turned off ?
My worst runs at the drag strip are with the nannies fully off. I literally think my car can spin the stock tires a full 1/8 mile through 3 gears without hooking up at all. I don't know if my car has too much power or I just cannot control it. My 3 best runs were in PTM 4 and launching the car at about 2000 RPM, then short shifting from 1st to 2nd to prevent either complete meltdown of the tires or a major pause as the traction control says okay the tires are in a cloud of smoke.... Then again I never could break 12 sec with 750 horsepower so you may not want to take advice from me.... lol.
__________________
ADM - 427 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. LS9 2300 blower. 1LE manual trans, with RPS clutch, ZR1 gears 5&6. 3.23 rear gears. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1000's, TPIS 102 throttle body. ADM fuel pump, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, Airaid intake, headers, no cats, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, Toyo R888 track rubber or M&H drag radials on 17" weld wheels, braided brake lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. 835 whp and 903 ft-lbs torque.
jessrayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
joes407

 
joes407's Avatar
 
Drives: 1- 2012 ZL-1 M6 562rwhp/578 rwtq
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 2,093
Has anyone tried launching the manual in 2nd gear? I have a manual but havent tried it but i remember the 4th gens launched better in 2nd gear
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
Has anyone tried launching the manual in 2nd gear? I have a manual but havent tried it but i remember the 4th gens launched better in 2nd gear
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
jessrayo

 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
Has anyone tried launching the manual in 2nd gear? I have a manual but havent tried it but i remember the 4th gens launched better in 2nd gear
I was thinking about this after I got home from the drag strip. If my car is not in the shop on this Friday, I will probably go out and try the drag strip on my road course tires. I will see what happens with a second gear launch. I think it will be better because first has way too much power to hook. I may even be able to rev it a little and launch in third (I can see a new clutch in the budget)...
__________________
ADM - 427 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. LS9 2300 blower. 1LE manual trans, with RPS clutch, ZR1 gears 5&6. 3.23 rear gears. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1000's, TPIS 102 throttle body. ADM fuel pump, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, Airaid intake, headers, no cats, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, Toyo R888 track rubber or M&H drag radials on 17" weld wheels, braided brake lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. 835 whp and 903 ft-lbs torque.
jessrayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #11
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I was thinking about this after I got home from the drag strip. If my car is not in the shop on this Friday, I will probably go out and try the drag strip on my road course tires. I will see what happens with a second gear launch. I think it will be better because first has way too much power to hook. I may even be able to rev it a little and launch in third (I can see a new clutch in the budget)...
If you do let us know how it turns out....
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
mmarx82

 
mmarx82's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
Has anyone tried launching the manual in 2nd gear? I have a manual but havent tried it but i remember the 4th gens launched better in 2nd gear
I tried this, all I can say is I could smell the clutch lol. Though I was able to do it I don't suggest it.
__________________
Life is too short to drive cars that suck.
My build Thread

In or around Savannah GA on the first Sunday of the month? Come meet with us here around 11 am!
mmarx82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
12 ZL1 #1725

 
12 ZL1 #1725's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 Black 6M
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarx82 View Post
I tried this, all I can say is I could smell the clutch lol. Though I was able to do it I don't suggest it.
Ty for the input!!! Appreciate it!!!
__________________
Sit Back and Enjoy The Ride!!
12 ZL1 #1725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
Silverguardrail

 
Silverguardrail's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1448
Join Date: May 2009
Location: WNY
Posts: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
My worst runs at the drag strip are with the nannies fully off. I literally think my car can spin the stock tires a full 1/8 mile through 3 gears without hooking up at all. I don't know if my car has too much power or I just cannot control it. My 3 best runs were in PTM 4 and launching the car at about 2000 RPM, then short shifting from 1st to 2nd to prevent either complete meltdown of the tires or a major pause as the traction control says okay the tires are in a cloud of smoke.... Then again I never could break 12 sec with 750 horsepower so you may not want to take advice from me.... lol.
Short shift with no lift ?
__________________
2012 ZL1 SIM, MN6, B92, RTQ


ZL1 - the true definition of joy ride
Silverguardrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
jessrayo

 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverguardrail View Post
Short shift with no lift ?
No I only did the no lift from 3rd to 4th gear and even then it would break the tires loose sometimes. My car just could not get traction on the day I was at the strip. The next time I run I will not be on the stock tires.....
__________________
ADM - 427 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. LS9 2300 blower. 1LE manual trans, with RPS clutch, ZR1 gears 5&6. 3.23 rear gears. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1000's, TPIS 102 throttle body. ADM fuel pump, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, Airaid intake, headers, no cats, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, Toyo R888 track rubber or M&H drag radials on 17" weld wheels, braided brake lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. 835 whp and 903 ft-lbs torque.
jessrayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
yellow69z28rs
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria La.
Posts: 205
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
OP...I have a rag top, and they don't have the 5 track modes that the coupes have.
Basically all nannies are either off or on, with the one exception of a setting thats somewhere in between, it's accessed by depressing the button twice quickly, not sure whats going on the with the car exactly,,,,,,,,,it seems like the traction control is on just ever so slightly and so is the stabilitrac. It make my 60' times 1.5! (with DRs)
And on the road course it makes it ever so slightly less susceptible to a spin.
I'm not sure what that setting would be on the coupe, but its the ticket for my car.
__________________
Two BAD BLACK Dogs
69 X22 RSSS HUGGER ORANGE RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X22 RSSS GARNET RED RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X66 L78 OLYMPIC GOLD RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X55 TUXEDO BLACK RAG TOP ALL OEM
RAG TOP ROB
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 PM   #17
HDRDTD


 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trenton, Michigan
Posts: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs View Post
OP...I have a rag top, and they don't have the 5 track modes that the coupes have.
Basically all nannies are either off or on, with the one exception of a setting thats somewhere in between, it's accessed by depressing the button twice quickly, not sure whats going on the with the car exactly,,,,,,,,,it seems like the traction control is on just ever so slightly and so is the stabilitrac. It make my 60' times 1.5! (with DRs)
And on the road course it makes it ever so slightly less susceptible to a spin.
I'm not sure what that setting would be on the coupe, but its the ticket for my car.
Hitting the button twice quickly puts you into Launch Control Mode.
Slam the throttle to the floor (don't just push it) and the engine will rev up and after a sec or two will settle into a rpm appropriate for the current conditions

Then release the clutch while hold the throttle to the floor, shift without letting up on the throttle (no-lift shift feature) and hang on.
HDRDTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #18
yellow69z28rs
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria La.
Posts: 205
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Hitting the button twice quickly puts you into Launch Control Mode.
Slam the throttle to the floor (don't just push it) and the engine will rev up and after a sec or two will settle into a rpm appropriate for the current conditions

Then release the clutch while hold the throttle to the floor, shift without letting up on the throttle (no-lift shift feature) and hang on.
My car is auto.
__________________
Two BAD BLACK Dogs
69 X22 RSSS HUGGER ORANGE RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X22 RSSS GARNET RED RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X66 L78 OLYMPIC GOLD RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X55 TUXEDO BLACK RAG TOP ALL OEM
RAG TOP ROB
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
jessrayo

 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow69z28rs View Post
OP...I have a rag top, and they don't have the 5 track modes that the coupes have.
Basically all nannies are either off or on, with the one exception of a setting thats somewhere in between, it's accessed by depressing the button twice quickly, not sure whats going on the with the car exactly,,,,,,,,,it seems like the traction control is on just ever so slightly and so is the stabilitrac. It make my 60' times 1.5! (with DRs)
And on the road course it makes it ever so slightly less susceptible to a spin.
I'm not sure what that setting would be on the coupe, but its the ticket for my car.
When you push the button twice you are in PTM (performance traction management) mode. It defaults into PTM 2 (there are 5 settings). Under the suspension comfort button is a minus and under the sport button is a plus. Once in PTM mode you can push the sport (+) button to go to PTM 3-5 or the comfort (-) button to go back down. Or just hold the T/C button for more than 5 sec to turn it off.
__________________
ADM - 427 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. LS9 2300 blower. 1LE manual trans, with RPS clutch, ZR1 gears 5&6. 3.23 rear gears. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1000's, TPIS 102 throttle body. ADM fuel pump, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, Airaid intake, headers, no cats, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, Toyo R888 track rubber or M&H drag radials on 17" weld wheels, braided brake lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. 835 whp and 903 ft-lbs torque.
jessrayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 PM   #20
yellow69z28rs
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible Black
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alexandria La.
Posts: 205
Send a message via AIM to yellow69z28rs
I was told, and if my ever failing memory serves me, I read in the owners manual there's not 5 settings on the CONVERTIBLE only in the coupe.
__________________
Two BAD BLACK Dogs
69 X22 RSSS HUGGER ORANGE RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X22 RSSS GARNET RED RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X66 L78 OLYMPIC GOLD RAG TOP ALL OEM
69 X55 TUXEDO BLACK RAG TOP ALL OEM
RAG TOP ROB
yellow69z28rs is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.