Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hines Performance (HPE)
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > Exterior Parts & Accessories

Exterior Parts & Accessories All exterior parts and accessories.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #826
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
ZL1 water tray bolts on to my 2012 V6. I guess I'm special. The gray wires on the left side need to be wedged under the tray though.

[URL="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/accordexchange/media/camaro5/IMG_3779_zps67087bf5.jpg.html"][/URTy

Well I'll be a blue nosed gopher, I had never noticed those places to snap the drain clips into until just now. I had assumed since others had said there was no place to attach it that they were not there. Thanks for the pics. I will order one tomorrow.

Uh oh I just noticed a problem, it doesn't leave a lot of room to reach in to empty the catch can.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 07-22-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Angrybird 12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #827
bitinas

Drives: 2011 camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
Get the ZL1 water drip tray that sits above the radiator. Part# #22828415. I'm not sure if ACS deflector works well with it-I'm assuming it would. I got the ACS ZL1-style deflector.
Thanks for the info man
Old 07-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #828
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Well I'll be a blue nosed gopher, I had never noticed those places to snap the drain clips into until just now. I had assumed since others had said there was no place to attach it that they were not there. Thanks for the pics. I will order one tomorrow.

Uh oh I just noticed a problem, it doesn't leave a lot of room to reach in to empty the catch can.
Glad the pictures helped. I think I discovered this when researching the ZL1 front end conversion-there were some similar part numbers. With my Elite can location, there is less room to unscrew the bottom but still doable. Maybe you could relocate your can to the driver-side location?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitinas View Post
Thanks for the info man
Thanks to 01pewterz28 for being a pioneer. I think I asked him three times for the part number.

Last edited by jameslk55; 07-23-2013 at 04:55 PM.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #829
delta6
USN-MSC

Drives: 2012 Camaro TF3 #427
I wanna buy it but I'm still having second thoughts...

1. cutting my hood
2. water deflector
-when you're driving at least 40mph, the wind that's coming from the front grille
(upper/lower) can contribute to the direction of the water flow that's getting off the
deflector - if it's raining hard. That being said, there might be a chance that those
water will go to the engine bay and some electronic stuff. This is just my assumption.
Any thoughts?
3. I'm thinking about the future problems that may arise from cutting the hood...like
corrosion and stability (maybe after 5 yrs?). We can paint the area to protect it and put something on top
of it for extra precaution but those are only temporary solutions. What do you guys
think?

If I get enlightened then I will purchase this product...for now, I still need your opinion especially from ACS.

Thanks for all your inputs!

delta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #830
delta6
USN-MSC

If I decided to buy this, what do you think is the best color combination for my car? all black, yellow body-black vents or vice versa?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #831
ACS Composite

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Hi Delta,

Thank you for the interest, all valid questions... see below for my comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta6 View Post

1. cutting my hood

Pretty simple process, we supply a template, and a trimming tolerance of 1/8''.

2. water deflector
-when you're driving at least 40mph, the wind that's coming from the front grille
(upper/lower) can contribute to the direction of the water flow that's getting off the
deflector - if it's raining hard. That being said, there might be a chance that those
water will go to the engine bay and some electronic stuff. This is just my assumption.

At high speed water will not be flowing into the extractor, at that point the windflow is the opposite direction, the defletor works at most when the car is parked and a major rainfall occurs, also consider, the engine is "water" proof, during highway or city driving water can infiltrate from all directions, hence the engine is not sealed from water...

Any thoughts?
3. I'm thinking about the future problems that may arise from cutting the hood...like
corrosion and stability (maybe after 5 yrs?). We can paint the area to protect it and put something on top
of it for extra precaution but those are only temporary solutions. What do you guys
think?

Corrosion : It is an aluminium hood, so it cannot corrode.
Stability, we trimout non-structural portions of the hood, when the insert is bolted and bonded, the area's strength is reinstated.

If I get enlightened then I will purchase this product...for now, I still need your opinion especially from ACS.

ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #832
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:

1. cutting my hood
2. water deflector
Any thoughts?
think?

No water problems after 7 months and over 35" of rainfall.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #833
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
How long would it take to get this to Cali?
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #834
ACS Composite

3-5 days depending on the fedex service in your area.

Shipping is flat rate 65$, we can always overnight it... expect about 150$

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisSick View Post
How long would it take to get this to Cali?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #835
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
No water problems after 7 months and over 35" of rainfall.
Thanks for your input! Since the heat is coming out of your painted insert, are there any paint deterioration present or whatnot?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #836
ACS Composite

We use a heat resistant composite material, same material we have used on many OEM programs. As for the paint, just be sure your painter is using a high quality paint system like PPG, Spies Heckers, Dupont ... .

Quote:
Thanks for your input! Since the heat is coming out of your painted insert, are there any paint deterioration present or whatnot?
Old 07-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #837
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
***WARNING!!!
Just a FYI for everyone. I have a Whipple and ROTO FAB CAI.
Neither the ACS or the ZL1 water deflector will work.

The clearance is just to low. The middle bolt on the stock water deflector hits the elbow on the intake. And the ACS intake has more clearance than the ZL1.

Have less than a 1/4" from hitting the mesh.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #838
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS Composite View Post
We use a heat resistant composite material, same material we have used on many OEM programs. As for the paint, just be sure your painter is using a high quality paint system like PPG, Spies Heckers, Dupont ... .

What do you think about corrosion for cutting off the hood? and the water flow that might go to the engine bay or electronic stuff while driving on a freeway (with heavy rain of course). because i am pretty sure that the air getting in from the front grille will contribute on the water's direction while being deflected underneath the hood. Just a thought.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #839
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Mine is showing some signs but I think it's from painting it with a rattle can, I am going to strip off that paint and have it professionally painted next week. I used the rattle can paint because at that time my funds were shot from purchasing the insert. If I had it to do over again I would have had it painted professionally to begin with.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #840
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
Mine is showing some signs but I think it's from painting it with a rattle can, I am going to strip off that paint and have it professionally painted next week. I used the rattle can paint because at that time my funds were shot from purchasing the insert. If I had it to do over again I would have had it painted professionally to begin with.

Nice to know. I really appreciate that. Still want this product..but I'm hesitating for some reason.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #841
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Nice to know. I really appreciate that. Still want this product..but I'm hesitating for some reason.
Im right there with you. Im also thinking that since this is the T1, what will the T2 or T3 insert look like? Look at the ACS T4 ports for the fog lights, so many different variations now.
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #842
SinisSick
Account Suspended

So, just so Im not confused this particular insert is the same look and everything as the ZL1 correct?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #843
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapper12b View Post
Im right there with you. Im also thinking that since this is the T1, what will the T2 or T3 insert look like? Look at the ACS T4 ports for the fog lights, so many different variations now.

I know, right? But i dunno if I can wait any longer...

Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #844
delta6
USN-MSC

Quote:
So, just so Im not confused this particular insert is the same look and everything as the ZL1 correct?

as far as I know, yeah...same look with lil differences...

Old 07-27-2013, 03:26 AM   #845
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Thanks man.

ACS can u clarify if their is any differences?

Thanks.

Quote:
as far as I know, yeah...same look with lil differences...
Old 07-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #846
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Thanks man.

ACS can u clarify if their is any differences?

Thanks.
The insert is not an exact copy of the ZL1 insert, its similar. The one similarity that both inserts have is that they both help expel the heat from the engine bay by allowing the air to escape through the vents. The biggest difference between the two is that the ZL1 insert is made of carbon fiber materials and sits flush with the hood. Were as the ACS insert is made from a composite material and sits on top of the hood.
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #847
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
I know, right? But i dunno if I can wait any longer...
Go for it! They look great and the first time you are sitting stuck in traffic and you see the heat waves coming out of the vents you know it was worth it. Even though heat expulsion is not its primary purpose ( front end lift reduction at high speed is the primary purpose ) it does give you some peace of mind knowing all that heat has a way to escape now.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #848
ACS Composite

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
***WARNING!!!
Just a FYI for everyone. I have a Whipple and ROTO FAB CAI.
Neither the ACS or the ZL1 water deflector will work.

The clearance is just to low. The middle bolt on the stock water deflector hits the elbow on the intake. And the ACS intake has more clearance than the ZL1.

Have less than a 1/4" from hitting the mesh.

How about creating a notch in the lowest point of the insert. Simply using a tool like dremel or rotor, if you're willing to try, I'll send you new grill work free of charge.

Another option is return the insert to us, I will shave 3/8'' off the louver, this would be in straightline, and fabricate new grill works for you. Like I said in the email, I may have something else to help with the water management.

Can you confirm the SC did not rub the OEM hoodliner ?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #849
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
As per email sent to you. The whipple does hit the hood liner.. Hits where the WHIPPLE name plate is and also rubs on the intake elbow.. Has always done this. The pulley IS rubbing on the mesh.

Wear marks can been seen.

franknbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #850
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
As per email sent to you. The whipple does hit the hood liner.. Hits where the WHIPPLE name plate is and also rubs on the intake elbow.. Has always done this. The pulley IS rubbing on the mesh.

Wear marks can been seen.

It must not be hitting much, you should be able to see where it's hitting on the mesh too. Do you think you could take a grinder or dremel and cut away enough of the mesh to clear it? Just thinking out loud here.

Tags
acs, acs composite, ss hood ports, tl1, zl1 hood insert