Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,392
Question SS Brembos going onto a 2LT

Questions:

1) What is involved with swapping the rear dust shields to the SS variants so I can avoid the trimming and be able to put it back stock if I want? Has anyone done this? Any pics/videos?

2) Any reason to change the master cylinder and ABM to the SS versions? Has anyone done this? Any pics/videos?

Thanks in advance!
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
IneedAZ

 
IneedAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: not enough power
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,588
I did the swap awhile back. I didn't bother swapping the shields, just cut the ones I have...works fine!! I also did not change the MC either and I find my brakes work just fine, in fact much better then the V6 brakes that came on the car. Wont hurt if u want to swap the MC, but not a necessity.
__________________
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Michelin PSS tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, 3/4" intake spacer, and ported intake. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
IneedAZ

 
IneedAZ's Avatar
 
Drives: not enough power
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,588
Here are mine:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282987
__________________
2012: Vmax TBody, CAI w/scoop, Solo HFC, ZL1 FP, Magnaflow TruX, Dynomax VT, RX catch can, HP Tune, BMR; Springs, Sways, Trailing Arms, Toe Ends, & Safety Loop, Koni str.t, Pioneer Z150bh, Phoenix Gold Sub, Hertz speakers & 5ch Amp, SS rear with 3.91 gears w/Eaton TrueTrac, and BMR bushings, Baer Decela Rotors, Goodridge brake lines, Brembo(GM) 4 piston calipers, Hawk Ceramic pads, and Michelin PSS tires, Ny-Trex Nitrous, 3/4" intake spacer, and ported intake. 345RWHP/354lbsTQ 12.8@108
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
camaro4mybday
"Camaro Joe"
 
camaro4mybday's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SILVER ICE 2LT/RS CAMARO
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: long island ny
Posts: 2,336
Send a message via AIM to camaro4mybday
i did the cts v upgrade and i swapped the mc. i would do it for the ss calipers too
camaro4mybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,392
I examined a '13 SS last night. The rear dust shield does NOT wrap the rotor as with the V6. It appears to have the same "height" and diameter of the "trimmed/cut down" v6 dust shields shown in the DIYs on this forum. It makes me wonder what the point is of the dust shield on the SS in the first place. Without a "catch basin" as with the V6 version, dust is going to fly all over.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame


Last edited by intensifi; 07-18-2013 at 11:58 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
Questions:

1) What is involved with swapping the rear dust shields to the SS variants so I can avoid the trimming and be able to put it back stock if I want? Has anyone done this? Any pics/videos?

2) Any reason to change the master cylinder and ABM to the SS versions? Has anyone done this? Any pics/videos?

Thanks in advance!
1) I was one of the early V6s to have this conversion done. The alternative to trimming the rear dust shield is completely disassemble the entire rear knuckle assembly. That meas removing the half shaft nut, removing the wheel hub, and removing the parking brake assembly. Its just a very laborious and time consuming job to change out just the dust cover. The pic is from 01pewterz28, but this is what you looking at having to remove.



2) I did change the master cylinder later as well. Reason being is that the SS/ZL1 master cylinder pushes a slightly larger volume of fluid that the V6. After I change it out the pedal feel improved quite a bit.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Chubby
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Busted
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Home
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
1) I was one of the early V6s to have this conversion done. The alternative to trimming the rear dust shield is completely disassemble the entire rear knuckle assembly. That meas removing the half shaft nut, removing the wheel hub, and removing the parking brake assembly. Its just a very laborious and time consuming job to change out just the dust cover.



2) I did change the master cylinder later as well. Reason being is that the SS/ZL1 master cylinder pushes a slightly larger volume of fluid that the V6. After I change it out the pedal feel improved quite a bit.
What he said.

Trim the shield, no one will notice.

Swap the MC, it's easy. Just make sure you read the directions and have all the parts you need to make the swap handy BEFORE you start. You have to bench bleed the MC and you need certain fittings. A-hem... Tony
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
nak3dsnake


 
nak3dsnake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro IBM 2LT/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
What he said.

Trim the shield, no one will notice.

Swap the MC, it's easy. Just make sure you read the directions and have all the parts you need to make the swap handy BEFORE you start. You have to bench bleed the MC and you need certain fittings. A-hem... Tony
:P. I just didn't have any lol . And now that I have my sprint car and the entirety of my grandpas garage, I'm up to my eyeballs in them.
__________________
Looks: AAC P13W DRLs, Heritage Grille, RS Embroidered Headrests, GM Door Sill Plates, GM Premium Floor Mats, Body Color Engine Cover, LLT Mobile 1 Oil Cap, ZL1 Sport Pedals, 3M Clear Bra.
Performance: Vararam Ram Air Intake, Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/ Hurst Hard Drive Pistol Grip, IDEALG Clutch Master Cylinder, RX Catch can, GTO clutch fluid reservoir, Brembo Brakes, 1LE Track Pack, GMPP Exhaust Upgrade.
nak3dsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Chubby
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Busted
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Home
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by nak3dsnake View Post
:P. I just didn't have any lol . And now that I have my sprint car and the entirety of my grandpas garage, I'm up to my eyeballs in them.
Lol, it was no big deal. Doug had what was needed. I was worried for a few minutes. Not going to lie.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
nevrenz
 
nevrenz's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 RED Camaro
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
I examined a '13 SS last night. The rear dust shield does NOT wrap the rotor as with the V6. It appears to have the same "height" and diameter of the "trimmed/cut down" v6 dust shields shown in the DIYs on this forum. It makes me wonder what the point is of the dust shield on the SS in the first place. Without a "catch basin" as with the V6 version, dust is going to fly all over.
Its more of a heat sheild then a dust sheild.
__________________
nevrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #11
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,392
Thanks guys!

Does anyone have instructions/video/pics for the master cylinder swap?

Also the (still unreleased) GM performance ZL1 brake upgrade kit includes the master cylinder and the dust(heat) shields along with instructions for V6 installs. It would be interesting to see what those instructions have to say.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #12
intensifi

 
Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Belmont, California
Posts: 1,392
Still looking for info on the the master cylinder installation.

It looks like my mechanic will put SS dust shields on for $75. For that much I may just go ahead and do it.
__________________
Mods: GM Locking Gas Cap, RS License Plate Frame

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2lt, abm, brembo, dust shield

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.