Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust

Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
Sauraus

Drives: 45th anniversary SS convertible
Cool LG header, x-pipe & mufflers - Where are they manufactured?

I am in talks with a tuning shop about either getting the Pfadt Tri-Y header or a complete LG system and during this conversation a comment was made that LG exhaust systems are manufactured in China is this true? And more important does it even matter?
Sauraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauraus View Post
I am in talks with a tuning shop about either getting the Pfadt Tri-Y header or a complete LG system and during this conversation a comment was made that LG exhaust systems are manufactured in China is this true? And more important does it even matter?
Have no idea where LG gets their LT's from. It only matters to the person buying them. LG is a quality company that will back their products. That's the issue with the cheap Chinese knock-offs that float around ebay. If there's a issue of any kind, you have little to no support for returns. Many of those say "lifetime warranty" but it's hard to collect on a warranty claim if there's no way to get in touch with the manufacturer. I can promise you, if you have a issue with a LG product, you will easily find a phone number and they will make it right. That being said, those Pfadt headers are a work of art and I know they are made here in the states.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
John Deere Racer

Drives: 2013 zl1 m6
Borla I think

592rwhp 616rwtq bolt ons only
www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
Www.lgmotorsports.com
John Deere Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Deezee

Drives: 2013 SS/RS
Fwiw I had LG super pros on my C6 vette. They were "top of the line" back then but I still had some fitment issues on them. I needed to bend some metal on the vette by the passengers side collector, and even though my slp axle back exhaust fit right on my stock x pipe perfect, I had to open up the relief slits under the LG clamps to make it tighten all the way. Great quality but didn't just "bolt on". I'm not sure of the fit on the SS, but I have the pfadts on order now.
Deezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
CHINA :(
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Have no idea where LG gets their LT's from. It only matters to the person buying them. LG is a quality company that will back their products. That's the issue with the cheap Chinese knock-offs that float around ebay. If there's a issue of any kind, you have little to no support for returns. Many of those say "lifetime warranty" but it's hard to collect on a warranty claim if there's no way to get in touch with the manufacturer. I can promise you, if you have a issue with a LG product, you will easily find a phone number and they will make it right. That being said, those Pfadt headers are a work of art and I know they are made here in the states.
Their headers are chinese FYI
Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Their headers are chinese FYI
Are you sure ? Seems that at their prices they would be made here . that being said they are of great quality from what I hear.
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
62nalide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alot9439 View Post
Are you sure ? Seems that at their prices they would be made here . that being said they are of great quality from what I hear.
Yes sir, I spoke to them in person and they said CHINA made headers which was a deal breaker for me for the price. That and fitment issues I've seen on other cars
Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
Deezee

Yea quality was top notch, but the fit could've been better :( I didn't hear that much on the vette forum tho? Could've just been mine? They were new tho
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
LG Motorsports

Drives: Camaro SS , Corvette ZR1, GT2 race
Here is the deal fellas,

We do have parts of our headers made overseas because the EPA has shut down most any factory with a smoke stack. Our Race Merge Collectors are a Stainless steel Investment casting that we could not get made in the US.

Every header on the market has at least something made there. Some get bent tubes from China and other just buy Strait Stainless steel tubing from there. and I mean EVERY Company

We use Eastern Catalytic converters made in Pennsylvania. other companies use Chinese Cats. The biggest rumor monger about header orign is a header manufacturing company that buys their Stainless Tubing From China but still claims, "Made in AMerica". The supplier of the SS Tubing is a US company but the origin of the tubing is China. Believe me, I tried! (Remember when western PA was called "Steel Cities" and the Pittsburg Steelers!!-- well not any more)

28% of the Corvette C6 was made over seas. The new C7 will have even more parts made in China and assembled in Bowling green, Ky.

GM just took their BAILOUT money and built 7 brand new Manufacturing plants in CHINA in partnership with the Chinese Communist Government. Nice right?

Over 90% of the Camaro is made outside of the US. Assembled in Canada.
When we made our Camaro Short Shifter, we bought a factory shifter from the Chevy Dealer. on the back side was the Sticker, "Made In China"

This iMac computer that I am typing on is MADE in CHINA. There are NO TVs made in America now for 3 years. The last plant closed down in Tenn.

BLAME the EPA and Dept of Interior for the loss of manufacturing in the USA.

30 years ago, Manufacturing in the US accounted for 25% of the GDP. TODAY it only accounts for 5% of the GDP.
95% of Everything you buy at Walmart comes from overseas.

We are no different than GM who builds 85% of the Cadillac CTS in China.

We do have a low cost "Street Series" Corvette headers that are built in China and we price it accordingly.

Everything we do, we give a lifetime warranty. We Control our quality better than you could imagine and our Stainless steel in our Merge Collector is also 304. Regardless of the origin, it comes down to quality control and design. We have both.

So , if you want to not buy a car part from China, Buy a HONDA because they are built in OHIO.

We also tried to get our Wheels made in the US and we found that there are no significant Wheels Casting facilities left in the US.

You want to change this, Change our Government!! (well, change it anyway)

Thanks

Lou Gigliotti

LG Motorsports

LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I think part of the contention is why these headers are $1000 more compared to the next most expensive Chinese manufactured headers?

I would seriously rather dimple a pipe a tenth of an inch than pay that much of a difference - however, based on your shop's reputation there are definitely people out there that will.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
LG Motorsports

Drives: Camaro SS , Corvette ZR1, GT2 race
I think you will find that the material, quality, welds, and general material spec are different. I have seen some of the kind you are talking about and they crack easily because the alloy is a compromise.

Look, if you want a header with our true racing Merge collector, then we have it. If you want thicker tubing then we have it.
If you want none of that, then I suggest that you get your hammer out like you said and have at it.
Our full header, mid pipe and X pipe is priced much less than you think. It goes up with the Mufflers or the cats but again, see the photos and you will know.

Then, other than the ebay thin headers, I still want to point out that every header sold in the US has either some content from China. From tubing at the minimum to compete headers for other companies.
Just because they say,"Made in USA" doesn't mean 100%.

ALSO, let me remind you that we do have Corvette "Street Series" with cheaper collectors and a Stamped Merge collector that is made in China and we sell them at a very low price. We will be coming out later this year with a similar "Street Series" LG Header for the Camaro that will be lower prices to meet the market that is only interested in Price.

either way, we do have a life time warrantee and we stand behind our products. If you need tuning for your LG Headers, we have the Mail order tuning available. If you want a Cam, we have tested hundreds of cams to come up with the Best 5-7 cams that work really well in the Camaro with our G5 Cams. We have shocks and suspension parts, Cold air intakes, brakes and Wheels for your Camaro as well.

THAT is what we do. Our 40 years of racing and 3 National championships, even 2 of them were in a Camaro 4th gen. sorry, one championship was in a Mustang :(

We can help you from the nose of your car to the rear bumper and everything in between. If you have an issue with your car, you can call LG Motorsports and we are there for you. We probably even help many of your installers with technical assistance.

WE ARE YOU!!

LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Thanks for the extra info!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
matt55

Drives: w/t
"BLAME the EPA and Dept of Interior for the loss of manufacturing in the USA.*"

+1
Old 07-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Orange Crush 1LE

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Good stuff, Lou. I appreciate it when suppliers fill in the blanks to clear things up. Sounds like a quality product.
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.7: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:53.9: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
And you can blame the EPA for the quality of the paint on your ride too. The paint on my and many other G8 owners was crap. I don't miss that at all, but so far I'm pleased with the paint on my SS. GM must've paid off the EPA. JUST KIDDING!

Thanks for your input Lou. I'm saving my money for your Pro Series Exhaust (want them fat 4" tips too ) and hopefully I'll be one of your first customers when the new shop opens. First 10 customers get free installation?

BTW, does it feel like 1998 and LS1.com all over again?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #17
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Lou's right. I had LG headers/x on my FRC vette and have a LG chassis brace on my Camaro...these guys are stand-up to do business with. I wouldn't get all hung up on "China".

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (57x/53x at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
Chevy9534

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs
Installed their headers myself, fitment was great. Quality product and the people there are easy to deal with and will help in anyway possible.
Chevy9534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Everyone talking about not getting all work up about china made headers wonder how many of them are the same people who talked trash about OBX headers and all the vendors saying they would never sale china made headers lmao

Side Note: This is nothing against LG or anyone else who has their headers made in China just goes to show that its all about the $$$$

DMVC5
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_LoW29 View Post
Everyone talking about not getting all work up about china made headers wonder how many of them are the same people who talked trash about OBX headers and all the vendors saying they would never sale china made headers lmao

Side Note: This is nothing against LG or anyone else who has their headers made in China just goes to show that its all about the $$$$
It's not just all about the $$$$, small business owners know it's about survival. I'm all for buying American when practical, in fact it bothers me to buy Chinese made stuff. But businesses have to be realistic. If a company's not careful, they can stand on principal and go out of business while their competitors adapt to the changing times.
Willow Springs Raceway, 1:33.7: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343624
Buttonwillow Raceway, 1:53.9: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Old 07-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #21
Deezee

The point I'm trying to make is that I bought the "top of the line" LG super pro headers for the vette and they didn't fit that well??? I spent like $1500ish I think? I installed them hand in hand with one of the best shops in the country (so I know it wasn't me) and I was still less than impressed with the fit. EVERYONE on corvette forum swore they were THE BEST so I paid. The quality was great! But didn't fit well. I was 5hrs from home and up on the lift so we just made them work. But this time I'm choosing the pfadts. Once again, EVERYTHING says they are the best, so once again ill pay. And if the fit sucks ill let you guys know. The LGs may be great on this car, but ill never know. Honest my shop pushed ARH or kooks but I did my own thing. I probably should've listened. I honestly think it may have just been MY set, but I'm not willing to risk it again
Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #22
Orange Crush 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that I bought the "top of the line" LG super pro headers for the vette and they didn't fit that well??? I spent like $1500ish I think? I installed them hand in hand with one of the best shops in the country (so I know it wasn't me) and I was still less than impressed with the fit. EVERYONE on corvette forum swore they were THE BEST so I paid. The quality was great! But didn't fit well. I was 5hrs from home and up on the lift so we just made them work. But this time I'm choosing the pfadts. Once again, EVERYTHING says they are the best, so once again ill pay. And if the fit sucks ill let you guys know. The LGs may be great on this car, but ill never know. Honest my shop pushed ARH or kooks but I did my own thing. I probably should've listened. I honestly think it may have just been MY set, but I'm not willing to risk it again
Good point, I've been in your shoes a few times. Aftermarket stuff fits pretty good, but it's not always at the quality level of OEM. I've just come to terms with the idea that I'll probably have to make some tweaks to make things work. You should have seen the longtubes that I installed in my '95 Camaro back in the day. Holy cow, I was under my car banging, bending, cussing, fussing! It finally went together and was worth it in the end.

I'm getting ready to have a shop do longtubes, cam with all of the goodies, and a CAI. I think I might let them choose the brand, since they're the ones that will have to make it fit. It's a top notch shop, and they've done plenty of Camaros.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #23
Deezee

Yea I'm a jet mechanic by trade and do a lot of fab work. I get the "bang to fit paint to match" idea. I also NEVER use anything but the best parts. Most GOOD parts manufactures seem to have better tolerances than the company's cars they go in. In the end all we can do is our homework online and talk to the guys/shops that have done them before. I was quite shocked at the amount of "little stuff" I needed to do to make the LG headers fit my car though. MANY more people had ARH and kooks at the time, no doubt due to the cheaper price but I still wanted the best. If I had to do it over again I would've chosen another set. The guy I feel for is the one in his garage up on jack stands who read a bunch if DIYs and said "yea I can probably do that" only to find it didn't work. Not all guys are ok with "making it work". Funny how many guys probably dropped cars off to shops that did just that and never told them. I still "think" the pfadts are going to be the best option now, but time will tell. New products get all the rave. I was pretty sold on kooks for the SS till I found the pfadts. I am however 100% sure that given the chance LG would've worked with me to get a new set or something. Like I said I was 5hrs from home at my tuners when I installed them along with a meth kit so I decided to just make it work.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:09 PM   #24
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezee View Post
I am however 100% sure that given the chance LG would've worked with me to get a new set or something.
You are 100% correct, we do stand behind everything we do and sell.

As with any production unit, there is always a chance that a few in the batch might have an issue.....but if we don't know we can't help.

We are only a email/phone/text/PM away, just let us know and we are more than happy to do anything in our power to make things how they should be given one of Murphy's Laws strikes.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #25
Deezee

I knew you guys would, but there was nothing you could do at that point. It does suck that after that I'm just not willing to give a second set a try.