Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Anthony @ LG Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
Ringo64
Forever Pontiac

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS
To why we need to traffic officers - please remember they are not the bad guy, they are doing their job and if you're polite they will most likely give you a break like he did. No matter how inconvenient slow speed limits are you still have to obey them. Especially while in a sporty car like a Camaro that is major prey for tickets.

A good portion of the highway north of me is under construction and has been in parts for years. Speed limit is at 60mph. Took the Camaro on a road trip and had to go through it, just got in the right lane and did exactly 60mph. Others were flying past me and got pulled over by hidden cops. Just not worth the money, time and aggravation to deal with a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
If you go to court and are found innocent would you still have to pay the court costs? I thought you would get out of that too?
Pretty sure court costs are court costs, I've never been to court but think that's the whole point of court costs lol
Old 07-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #27
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Hmmm, the LEO, According to the OP, said you were doing 61 in a 45 mph construction zone. I would pay the fine and move along in life.

Sorry guys, but the LEO was pretty generous in issuing a ticket for only 5 mph over. That ain't chicken sh*t, that's being pretty generous.

Trust me, my family has had their share of interesting contretemps with the Police. Some of which were pretty darn silly. But, that's not something for discussion here.
I'm with you. First, wee if it will put points on your license, which in GA it would not. Two, See how much the fine is. Three, compare the fine to the time missed at work and the hassle. The last ticket I got for 5 over was only like $40 dollars. I just paid it and went on, and it cost me no points on my license. I have much bigger fish to fry!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #28
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
You are lucky that he didn't give you the complete ticket for 61 in a 45 MPH construction zone. They have those speed limits because so many highway workers are killed while just trying to do their job.
Those of you that say the blow through those zones without slowing down better think it over. Most construction zones also have a while workers are present stipulation for slowing down. So if they are working SLOW DOWN! They may have families at home.

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #29
SlyJester7
SoCal HT5 *COTW 8/26/13*

Drives: 2013 SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I'm with you. First, wee if it will put points on your license, which in GA it would not. Two, See how much the fine is. Three, compare the fine to the time missed at work and the hassle. The last ticket I got for 5 over was only like $40 dollars. I just paid it and went on, and it cost me no points on my license. I have much bigger fish to fry!
sorry couldnt resist. . .
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyJester7 View Post
sorry couldnt resist. . .
very nice...gave me a good laugh!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #31
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadyshac View Post
If you go to court and are found innocent would you still have to pay the court costs? I thought you would get out of that too?
You can sometimes get a ticket reduced to a lesser charge.
I had a speeding ticket in N.Y State (90+ in a 65) reduced in court to a seat belt violation.
No points, no record kept, etc, but I still paid a fine- Was glad to pay it and move on.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #32
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
Regardless of how he acted, you were doing 11 over and got a ticket for 5 over so you came out pretty well.

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Old 07-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #33
LikaRokBowTie

Drives: 2014SilveradoCCZ71
I was a speed demon in the 80's and traveled through AR,TN,MS almost weekly and got a ticket in every state,which I paid no problem.There was none of this point system or reporting you to your home state crap.I got a questionable ticket in MS one time and was not able to get back over to pay in person it was 35$ for 10 over,so I sent a check and thought I was OK,the check came back with a note that it was not an accepted form of payment(WHAT)well I said to bad now you don't get paid at all and from then on went around MS for the next 3 years
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #34
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
Regardless of how he acted, you were doing 11 over and got a ticket for 5 over so you came out pretty well.
Really.

You admitted doing 56 in a 45 zone. Regardless of it being a money machine or not, you knew the limit, chose to break it anyway and now your defense is.... what, exactly?

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #35
mikeyg36
The GT Troll Hundred

Drives: Cammed '12 2SS/RS LS3 '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsBroke View Post
Oh BOY! Another "I got a ticket" thread!

Oh boy another guy complaining about a thread.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:36 PM   #36
nfl46

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
This.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #37
dkp2LT

Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 GT/CS, '10 Flex
Yep - pay it and move on. Five over won't hurt your insurance & you admitted you were doing at least 5 over.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #38
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
First lesson. NEVER speak to police. NEVER. NEVER let them search you without a warrant, even if you have nothing to hide. EVER. Its not against the law for police to lie. Its what they do to get you to give up your rights. If you;re driving, show your license and all car information. You dont have to answer one of their questions. You dont even have to speak to them. Dont let them intimidate you out of your rights. They are your rights to protect you from them. Many cops will say "if you have nothing to hide blah blah blah. Dont fall for it. Its your right to refuse their commie searches of your property.
I don't totally agree with this. I will say never admit guilt. Most times with a good officer your attitude and ability to communicate in a positive manner will get you out of if not eliminate a ticket. It happened to me last week. I made a lane change without using my signal and I was about to get on it. I was already about 6 over the speed limit and notices the undercover officer tailing me closely. I noticed the three antennas on the roof and just started cruising instead of braking. He followed me for a mile then hit his lights. He asked me a few dumb questions about where I was going , was the car mine and where I was coming from. The questions were irrelevant to what was going on but I realized I was in a drug trafficking enforcement zone. He told me he was giving me a warning and let me go. He could have given me a ticket for the illegal lane change and 7 over. I'm going to say every situation is different and use your better judgement to handle each one differently.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #39
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetLegend View Post
It was on I-240 (Memphis beltway) in a construction zone and the officer verbally stated he got me "doing 61mph in a 45mph".

When he got back to my car he said he didn't cite me for the construction zone (which is crucial because I believe it doubles the fine if workers are present) and for only "5mph over". He then said because he only wrote it for 5mph over I could likely get it dropped in court. I know for a fact I was going 56...
I'm a little confused here. You "know for a fact" you were doing 11 mph over the speed limit (in an active construction zone, no less), but he gave you a ticket for 5 mph over... and you're pissed at him? Unless I'm missing something here, I think you should consider yourself lucky.
Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs
Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges
Emblem Pros Custom Retro SS Kickplates
Emblem Pros Under-hood Bowtie
Old 07-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #40
rich3fan
What's this button do?

Drives: 2013 SIM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Oh boy another guy complaining about a thread.
Oh boy another.... soon to be locked thread because it gets reduced to a flame war thread.

For instance: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=309316&page=4

Old 07-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPopa71 View Post
I don't totally agree with this. I will say never admit guilt. Most times with a good officer your attitude and ability to communicate in a positive manner will get you out of if not eliminate a ticket. It happened to me last week. I made a lane change without using my signal and I was about to get on it. I was already about 6 over the speed limit and notices the undercover officer tailing me closely. I noticed the three antennas on the roof and just started cruising instead of braking. He followed me for a mile then hit his lights. He asked me a few dumb questions about where I was going , was the car mine and where I was coming from. The questions were irrelevant to what was going on but I realized I was in a drug trafficking enforcement zone. He told me he was giving me a warning and let me go. He could have given me a ticket for the illegal lane change and 7 over. I'm going to say every situation is different and use your better judgement to handle each one differently.
^^^ THIS ^^^

In the vast majority of cases, the enforcement of traffic laws is for the purpose of protecting those using the road. If you are pulled over, it's usually because you are doing something that may be endangering other drivers. When you see others pulled over, it is YOU that the law is looking out for.
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #42
Ben Thur

Drives: 2010 Silver 1LT/RS
My Uncle was a cop and he always told me 9 your fine, 10 your mine. But work zones are a different monster, I always try to go the limit in those situations.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
gajagfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Thur View Post
My Uncle was a cop and he always told me 9 your fine, 10 your mine. But work zones are a different monster, I always try to go the limit in those situations.
Your Uncles rule applied.....the guy was going 11 over, and the cop is trying to be cool. 11 > 10 in most states!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #44
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
Quote:
First lesson. NEVER speak to police. NEVER. NEVER let them search you without a warrant, even if you have nothing to hide. EVER. Its not against the law for police to lie. Its what they do to get you to give up your rights. If you;re driving, show your license and all car information. You dont have to answer one of their questions. You dont even have to speak to them. Dont let them intimidate you out of your rights. They are your rights to protect you from them. Many cops will say "if you have nothing to hide blah blah blah. Dont fall for it. Its your right to refuse their commie searches of your property.
I have done this. He then got pissed an cited me for no front plate, window tint, and too loud of an exhaust. Dont recommend trying to do this in socal because they will find a way to get you
Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #45
BigPopa71

Drives: Dark Knight
Quote:
Thats why you dont speak at all. So you do not incriminate yourself even when you think you're not incrminating yourself. Same with searches. For one if you consent and they break something in your car, its on you not the police. Two any cop can put anything in your pocket. Never let them search you without consent. That doesnt really matter. They will just call in the dog with his handler. The handler can easily make a dog get a hit when there is nothing in the car or persons thus giving them legal consent to search. UHHH I get pissed just thinking about the Nazi stops. Youtube is full of videos teaching cops their jobs and our rights.

If you are a passenger in a car record every cop you see. They love breaking traffic laws without their lights on. WHats good for me is good for them.
Sorry not true not speaking at all and the cop would have said screw you then and gave me 2 tickets. My dad was a law enforcement officer and he taught me how to deal with his peers , good and the bad!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #46
PalmerGA

Quote:
Thats why you dont speak at all. So you do not incriminate yourself even when you think you're not incrminating yourself. Same with searches. For one if you consent and they break something in your car, its on you not the police. Two any cop can put anything in your pocket. Never let them search you without consent. That doesnt really matter. They will just call in the dog with his handler. The handler can easily make a dog get a hit when there is nothing in the car or persons thus giving them legal consent to search. UHHH I get pissed just thinking about the Nazi stops. Youtube is full of videos teaching cops their jobs and our rights.

If you are a passenger in a car record every cop you see. They love breaking traffic laws without their lights on. WHats good for me is good for them.
Amazing....
RX Catch Can
Husky Splash Guards
Heritage Grille
Old 07-30-2013, 03:06 PM   #47
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPopa71 View Post
Sorry not true not speaking at all and the cop would have said screw you then and gave me 2 tickets. My dad was a law enforcement officer and he taught me how to deal with his peers , good and the bad!
I agree, it's great that some folks know their rights. Having said that, knowing ones rights and acting like a jerk are two different things.

The fact that some people in this very thread have called cops nazis is very troubling to say the least. Again, you have the right to be as much of prick as you want to in this country but why would anyone choose to be that guy?

Sorry, I don't care what your life experiences are, you lose all cred when you paint all people w/ the same brush.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM   #48
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
PLus if the cop is going to base his ticket on how I understand and express my rights he shouldnt be a cop anyways.

Please don't listen to this guy and be disrespectful and act like a dick, there are NO do overs ...
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
And that's a great way to end this thread.

I'd add my .02 cents, but obviously you can't please everyone...and I'm sure I'll piss off a few who hate the popo. So, ... lettin' it go.

Closed Thread