Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Dyno Max
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions General 5th generation Camaro topics not covered by other subforums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #101
Mersades
Web Geek Chick & NHRA fan
 
Mersades's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 RJM
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 403
I just celebrated my one year anniverary of having Raven as my daily driver. I would not have it any other way.

First thing I bought her was new tires. Hubby and I work together and switch off days between our cars, and we agreed to take his Accord if snow is in the forecast. Last winter we were hit by an unforecast storm late in the day and I had driven the Camaro... I was very impressed with how she handled. Way better than prior rear wheels I have had the fun of navigating through snow in. Tires + traction control helped a lot. That said, I would still rather take the Accord for snowy weather.

I end up washing mine every other or sometimes every weekend since the paint is dark. I don't mind... She is relaxing company.

I fully suggest driving the car as much as you are happy with! They are a blast.
__________________
Mersades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #102
San2cci
 
San2cci's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 L99 2SS (25k miles)
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Camden County, NJ
Posts: 688
I drive my car daily in NJ. I have absolutely no problems EVER! If you can handle your car, and do NOT drive like an idiot in the rain/snow you will be fine. Just be careful, and don't worry about the car behind you when you are pulling onto a street like a grandma. They can wait, it's not worth your life or damaging your Camaro.
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #103
Frid


 
Frid's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 3,567
Mine only sees weekends and good Friday weather now. Have a 2000 S10 for a DD atm, but looking for a fullsized truck that I can tow it with eventually. Nothing wrong with our cars not being a DD, but also nothing wrong with them being a DD.
__________________
Frid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 AM   #104
Ron66Vette&10SS
Plays with Hot Wheels
 
Ron66Vette&10SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 SS Hot Wheels & 66 L79 Corvette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Derby, Kansas
Posts: 766
Yup, Daily Driver unless there's snow or thunderstorms are expected (due to hail).......then the Trailblazer comes out.
__________________
Previous Cars: '78 Z28, '92 Z28, '95 Z28, '85 Corvette, '01 SS, '96 Z28, '04 Z06 Corvette, '10 SS
Current Cars: '13 SS Hot Wheels (daily driver), '04 Trailblazer (rain & snow)'66 Corvette (restoring),
Ron66Vette&10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #105
6bangerBOOM

 
6bangerBOOM's Avatar
 
Drives: it like he stole it
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: TX/GA
Posts: 1,139
Day in, day out. I can't even imagine having to worry about snow driving conditions. Mad sympathy for all y'all notherners.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #106
Lord Ryan
 
Lord Ryan's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Avon Lake
Posts: 310
Only had my LT2/RS automatic for a couple months. But I did drive it a few hundred miles through one of the worst rain storms I can remember at speeds greater than 70mph. It handled great. A lot better than my 06 Si 4cyl 6sp manual.

I drove my my Si through 7 Cleveland winters with 17" low profile performance tires without a spot of rust and no accidents. 54 mile commute mostly highway into downtown Cleveland. I did believe I was going to die at least twice a year.

Anyways the Camaro has a higher ground clearance, 20" tires(thicker wheel walls) and a lot more weigth. I can't imagine the rear wheel drive will make it worse than what I'm used. And like that other guy said regular washing in the winter reduces the chance of rust.

If I'm wrong I'll let you know in a couple months.
Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #107
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
Only had my LT2/RS automatic for a couple months. But I did drive it a few hundred miles through one of the worst rain storms I can remember at speeds greater than 70mph. It handled great. A lot better than my 06 Si 4cyl 6sp manual.

I drove my my Si through 7 Cleveland winters with 17" low profile performance tires without a spot of rust and no accidents. 54 mile commute mostly highway into downtown Cleveland. I did believe I was going to die at least twice a year.

Anyways the Camaro has a higher ground clearance, 20" tires(thicker wheel walls) and a lot more weigth. I can't imagine the rear wheel drive will make it worse than what I'm used. And like that other guy said regular washing in the winter reduces the chance of rust.

If I'm wrong I'll let you know in a couple months.
Good luck. I had a so-so time a few winters ago back when I had the V6. I put all season tires on it (Yokohama something or others) and it did sort of OK. Light snow wasn't too bad, but if the snow got deep enough to reach the underbody, it was trouble. It's really not the ideal winter vehicle, but with snow tires, it probably wouldn't be half bad.

It also depends on how bad a winter we get. I remember a few years ago when it was like 80 degrees in February, and then another year the snow seemed like it would never end. I've been waiting for a HUGE snowstorm since I bought my Jeep, and it hasn't really happened yet. Last winter was pretty weak.
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #108
slomaro3.4
 
slomaro3.4's Avatar
 
Drives: SS/RS L99 Crew
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Florida/Pittsburgh/San Diego
Posts: 442
Straight up daily here, I hate rush hour but what can you do. I was contemplating getting a nissan leaf for daily purposes since we can lease them for cheap through work, but I only have 1 parking spot #1stworldproblems.
__________________
#YOLO
slomaro3.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #109
IncrediblyX
 
Drives: Red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Temecula
Posts: 296
2012 with 21k miles of awesomeness. It is a great car to be stuck in traffic with!
IncrediblyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #110
Lord Ryan
 
Lord Ryan's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevy Prelude RS V4 Hot Pink Ed.
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Avon Lake
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Good luck. I had a so-so time a few winters ago back when I had the V6. I put all season tires on it (Yokohama something or others) and it did sort of OK. Light snow wasn't too bad, but if the snow got deep enough to reach the underbody, it was trouble. It's really not the ideal winter vehicle, but with snow tires, it probably wouldn't be half bad.

It also depends on how bad a winter we get. I remember a few years ago when it was like 80 degrees in February, and then another year the snow seemed like it would never end. I've been waiting for a HUGE snowstorm since I bought my Jeep, and it hasn't really happened yet. Last winter was pretty weak.
Cool someone that knows the hell that is Cleveland weather.
__________________
Multiple coated Plasti-dipped rims. Double dipped blacked out Bowtie. Quad low quality plastic flat black tail light bezels. Super charged vanilla air freshner. DIY sound system.

Lord Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:57 PM   #111
E.T.


 
E.T.'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ryan View Post
Cool someone that knows the hell that is Cleveland weather.
LOL, yeah, gotta love it, hehe. Mother Nature sure has a sense of humor.
__________________

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #112
angryv6
Lake Erie Monster
 
angryv6's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Hyundai Sonata and Santa Fe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 770
Yes we experience all four seasons in one week in either of the winter months here. It takes a lot of confidence and skill to drive in these conditions.
angryv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #113
Black_2SS
 
Black_2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 275
Used my as a DD. 97K on her when I finally traded her in (I'm sorry baby but I had to!). Switched to all season tires in the winter but she was a tank! There were days I drove through 4" of blowing drifting snow and she held fine. Sure you can punch it but it was completely drivable. I drove through 7 - 8" of standing water and she just plowed on through like nothing. Dude that was fun too! Giant wall of water on either side! I even drove through a field to get to a campsite for cub scouts. If you know what your doing, you can drive a Camaro most anywhere. But def get the all seasons for winter!!
Black_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #114
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 5,849
Daily driven here. No issues at all.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.