Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all LFX related parts

Old 07-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #26
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic View Post
Interesting. Another poster (in post 13 above) stated that his 2013 2LS sets the max gear to 4th when he shifts into M, but it sounds like your LLT 2LS does not? I wonder if that was another change going from LLT to LFX, like being able to use TapShift in D. Hopefully some other 2LS owners with various model years will chime in with their experiences.

Also interesting that you find reduced performance in M with TC engaged. Wonder why.
I played with this, it seems to set the max gear based on speed/rpm. It doesn't always set the max gear to 4th, or shift to 4th... Depending on the speed/rpm if you shift from D to M, It's set the max gear on me to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but no higher than 4th (probably because I haven't gone fast enough and tried it to see if it goes to m5).

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
LStick

Drives: 2013 2LS Blue Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
I bought a 2LS for the price and the gas mileage. I drive 80+ miles a day, so the 30mpg come in handy. As for the gearing, I really don't care if I am 0.5 sec later on the next red light then a 1LS, or 2 sec later then a V8. It's still a great car....
Ditto- same here......they were giving screaming deals on em.

I have yet to do any "tap shifting".

When your trade in is an XFE Cobalt, gas miliage isn't a bad thing.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:39 AM   #28
911medic

Drives: 2012 SIM 2LT/1970 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I played with this, it seems to set the max gear based on speed/rpm. It doesn't always set the max gear to 4th, or shift to 4th... Depending on the speed/rpm if you shift from D to M, It's set the max gear on me to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, but no higher than 4th (probably because I haven't gone fast enough and tried it to see if it goes to m5).
This is good info! Thanks for checking. I will add your comments to the OP.
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Silver85IrocZ

Drives: '13 VR 1LT
Cool write up 911Medic

i knew bout the difference's in
rear end gear ratio's via chevy.com.
i didnt know the difference's in the way
the transmissions work between the 2LS
And Auto LT's.! Learn some thing every day
bout these cars !
3d Carbon vinyl, Opti-coat 2.0 Applied
Built on or about 5 Jun 13 7:58 am - Adopted 5 Jul 13
Silver85IrocZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #30
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver85IrocZ View Post
Cool write up 911Medic

i knew bout the difference's in
rear end gear ratio's via chevy.com.
i didnt know the difference's in the way
the transmissions work between the 2LS
And Auto LT's.! Learn some thing every day
bout these cars !
Yeah, they don't advertise other changes or make it clear.

Glad you found the thread informative, that's what it's for!
Wishlist: VMax Ported TB -- Dash ABL -- Footwell/Cupholder/Door Pull/Homelink Button Lighting
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #31
Z51Stingray
Dictator for Life

Drives: '14 Z51 Stingray, '13 Malibu 2LT
You forgot to mention that the lower grill is different to give it a slightly more aerodynamic advantage over other V6 Camaros.

If you don't believe me, go check them out and compare.
Z51Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #32
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySportRand View Post
You forgot to mention that the lower grill is different to give it a slightly more aerodynamic advantage over other V6 Camaros.

This is the first I've heard of that. Has there been discussion about it here?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #33
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Quote:

Could you post pictures to support this?

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
911medic

Quote:

Quote:
This is the first I've heard of that. Has there been discussion about it here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Could you post pictures to support this?
I just happened to have an appointment this morning to get my bubbling leather dash panel replaced at a local dealer, and while there checked this out.

There is indeed a difference in the lower grille on the 2LS. In the pictures that follow, there is a gray 2LS parked next to a black LT. The lower grille on the 2LS has plastic that narrows to much smaller slits/openings instead of the gaping holes on the LT.

Learn something new every day! Thanks, RallySportRand! This info will be added to the OP, even though it's only a minor difference.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #35
911medic

RallySportRand, do you know for certain if the 1LS has the LT style grille? The dealer didn't have a 1LS to look at today.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #36
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 LFX A6
Quote:
Interesting. Another poster (in post 13 above) stated that his 2013 2LS sets the max gear to 4th when he shifts into M, but it sounds like your LLT 2LS does not? I wonder if that was another change going from LLT to LFX, like being able to use TapShift in D. Hopefully some other 2LS owners with various model years will chime in with their experiences.

Also interesting that you find reduced performance in M with TC engaged. Wonder why.

My post said "ON THE HIGHWAY" shifting to M goes to 4th and perfect for passing.....The highways speed limits are 60-70 MPH which the automatic slates as 6th gear. downshift to M and its 4th gear

2003 silver streak mica MR2 Spyder, 6-SMT, AEM, TM Magnaflow duals, Davids style bars, CHE header, body kit that required a lot of hand work
NOW GARAGED
1993 flash red t-top MR2..way too many mods
NOW GARAGED
2013..Elite catch can, Blastin' Bob's fat pipes, CAI, GM front, Razzi sides, Stillen rear, T-REX grill, stripes, paint, LEDs,
2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
LStick

Lot of good info here- My salesman pointed out the tapshift on the test drive as a selling point,and never metioned it was a different setup from the rest of the automatics. I never noticed the difference in the front grill.
I discovered the rear gear ratio going through some info on my own.
Best on highway so far- 32 MPG. So the little differences DO work.

You guys are awesome.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fullgarage View Post
My post said "ON THE HIGHWAY" shifting to M goes to 4th and perfect for passing.....The highways speed limits are 60-70 MPH which the automatic slates as 6th gear. downshift to M and its 4th gear
Understood. What I find curious is this: You and RacnJsn95 both have LFX 2LS's and both state that shifting to M defaults your max gear to 4th (if you're going fast enough). However, Evil-Bee-NH has an LLT 2LS and stated that his will go to 6th when he shifts into M:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
...M in the 2LS starts in 6th same as Drive...
Was there a change in this behavior going from LLT to LFX, like the ability to use the paddles when in Drive? Or am I misunderstanding what Evil-Bee-NH was saying?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #39
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
Lot of good info here- My salesman pointed out the tapshift on the test drive as a selling point,and never metioned it was a different setup from the rest of the automatics.
You are not alone in this type of experience. Hence the existence of this thread.
Quote:
I never noticed the difference in the front grill.
Neither did I, until today!
Quote:
I discovered the rear gear ratio going through some info on my own.
Best on highway so far- 32 MPG. So the little differences DO work.

You guys are awesome.
32MPG in a 323HP car kicks ass. Nice!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #40
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
I just happened to have an appointment this morning to get my bubbling leather dash panel replaced at a local dealer, and while there checked this out.

There is indeed a difference in the lower grille on the 2LS. In the pictures that follow, there is a gray 2LS parked next to a black LT. The lower grille on the 2LS has plastic that narrows to much smaller slits/openings instead of the gaping holes on the LT.

Learn something new every day! Thanks, RallySportRand! This info will be added to the OP, even though it's only a minor difference.

Cool, thanks, now I wonder why don't they put them in all the V6 models?

Old 08-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #41
911medic

I wonder if there's some amount of tradeoff with cooling capacity, or if it's just for cosmetic reasons that they don't.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #42
FLGator75
Don't Tread on me!

Drives: 2013 Chevy Camaro. 2LT/RS; V-Red
Send a message via ICQ to FLGator75 Send a message via AIM to FLGator75 Send a message via Yahoo to FLGator75
What is the 1\4 time of a 2013 2LT/RS?
FLGator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #43
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGator75 View Post
What is the 1\4 time of a 2013 2LT/RS?
It's in the first post in this thread. Per Chevy, it's either 14.4 sec (auto) or 14.3 sec (manual).
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #44
Jason@JacFab
Mad Scientist

Drives: 2014 1LT Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Wow, just went out and took a look at my lower grille. It's the same as the pics (the closed off one)... Now wondering if the 1LS grille is the same myself, as it might make sense that they wanted to keep the engine hotter for emissions/fuel economy reasons on the 2LS?

Never thought they would have changed that from LT to LS... Surely there must be a "reason"?

Specializing in attractive "no drill" front license plate brackets for the 2010+ Camaro Check out our new website! www.jacfab.com
2010 Camaro 1SS RJT w/ SIM Stripes; M6. 12.535 @ 112.33mph SOLD!
2014 Camaro 1LT RRM; A6.JacFab No-Drill front license plate bracket... More to come...
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #45
911medic

Do you think it's to adjust the under hood temp, or for aerodynamic reasons?

Hopefully someone with a 1LS will chime in and let us know if that lower grille is open or closed. If I had to guess, I'd say the 2LS is the only one with the modified grille. If the 1LS has it, then it would seem more like cosmetic product/trim level differentiation than a performance change.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #46
LStick

Finally took the time to throw the car into "M" and run the car in "Tapshift" mode.

Car runs all 6 gears up and down in that mode.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #47
911medic

Quote:
Finally took the time to throw the car into "M" and run the car in "Tapshift" mode.

Car runs all 6 gears up and down in that mode.
I'm confused by what you're saying. Are you saying tapshift works in your 2LS like in the LTs?
When you shift to M, what gear does it default to (may depend on the speed your at at the time)?
If you shift to M at a relatively low speed, and hit the plus paddle to increase the gearing level to 6, does the car upshift with each paddle press, or does it upshift as your speed increases?
What does the DIC show as you hit the plus paddle?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #48
LStick

Quote:
I'm confused by what you're saying. Are you saying tapshift works in your 2LS like in the LTs?
When you shift to M, what gear does it default to (may depend on the speed your at at the time)?
If you shift to M at a relatively low speed, and hit the plus paddle to increase the gearing level to 6, does the car upshift with each paddle press, or does it upshift as your speed increases?
What does the DIC show as you hit the plus paddle?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand.
No problems with the questions- I bought this thing, and wanted to understand what I was getting for my hard earned buck.

When shifting to M at a stop....I got a 1 on the DIC, which I confirmed by running that out for a short bit....then up paddle press...to 2-3-4-5-and finally 6. I could feel each shift. I then did the reverse....neg paddle press......and again.....could feel each different gear pull in. Each time I made a change.....the display on the DIC changed to indicate what gear I was in. Simple.

I have no grand plan to do this on a regular basis, but just wanted to confirm on a 2013 2LS, as an owner, that it does indeed "tapshift".
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #49
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor

Quote:
No problems with the questions- I bought this thing, and wanted to understand what I was getting for my hard earned buck.

When shifting to M at a stop....I got a 1 on the DIC, which I confirmed by running that out for a short bit....then up paddle press...to 2-3-4-5-and finally 6. I could feel each shift. I then did the reverse....neg paddle press......and again.....could feel each different gear pull in. Each time I made a change.....the display on the DIC changed to indicate what gear I was in. Simple.

I have no grand plan to do this on a regular basis, but just wanted to confirm on a 2013 2LS, as an owner, that it does indeed "tapshift".
You were probably at the shift point when shifting up, and it should shift down as long as you are not going to put it over the rev limit by shifting. To know for sure if yours is like the LT's, while sitting still tap the up shift paddle and see if the numbers go up (2,3,4,etc), if they do then all you are selecting is the top gear it will shift to automatically. If it does select other gears other than 2nd, put it in 4th and drive, it should shift normally until you get to 4th gear then not shift again until you press the upshifting paddle..

Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #50
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
Love my 2LS