Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
GraySS2011
 
GraySS2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chelmsford MA
Posts: 399
Thumbs up Jay Leno reviews 2014 Z/28 Camaro - August 12 [video]

I like checking out the cars on Jay Lenos garage site. Ad states he will have. Z/28 on his site on August 12

Review is up:

__________________
2011 2SS RSS , MN6, CGM
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/nicecorvette <----- My Cars and Trucks



Last edited by GraySS2011; 08-09-2013 at 04:09 PM.
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Justin Moreno

 
Justin Moreno's Avatar
 
Drives: G5.R
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 405
Justin Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,196
Who's Jal Leno?
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
GraySS2011
 
GraySS2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chelmsford MA
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Who's Jal Leno?
Jay's twin brother from another mother
__________________
2011 2SS RSS , MN6, CGM
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/nicecorvette <----- My Cars and Trucks


GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
Al C.
 
Al C.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 668
Jay's a deuche
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
Irnwkrkev
 
Irnwkrkev's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Jay's a deuche
Why would you say that about someone with such a passion for automobiles?
Irnwkrkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irnwkrkev View Post
Why would you say that about someone with such a passion for automobiles?

Douche's drive too!
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Mrchop
 
Mrchop's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alabama
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Douche's drive too!
Yep, I see them all the time with a pentagon or horse on their car.
Mrchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Unobtainium
Fabricator
 
Unobtainium's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Langdon, AB
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchop View Post
Yep, I see them all the time with a pentagon or horse on their car.
The horse sounds plausible, but getting shocks to take the weight of a building that big...
Douches drive all makes....
__________________
Roto-fab CAI
Unobtainium Welding Exhaust
ARH LT's
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Twin Mini's...soon
Permagrin...Always
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
brt3
Runs with scissors...
 
brt3's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,247
The video is live now: WATCH IT HERE

An additional wicker-bill will be available for the rear spoiler, to increase downforce...

Interesting comments on the Multimatic suspension, and how they can be tuned for both high and low-speed damping...

North of $56,500...

3.91 rear end ratio...

Parts will be available to other Camaro owners...

Around 1,500 built per year...

QUESTION: How tall is Al Oppenheiser? His head it up against the headliner, and I'm 6'7" tall -- and wondering how I'll fit with a helmet. I sense a racing shell is in my future...
__________________

Last edited by brt3; 08-12-2013 at 12:20 AM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #11
midnighter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: a hole
Posts: 21,173
Mr. Chin buys another car. woohoo
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #12
macalot
 
Drives: 1969 Z28 + 2015 Z/28 F250 SD
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh Area, Pa
Posts: 236
brt3, Jay Leno is 5' 11". I'd say Al is 3-4 inches taller by looking at the video, so say Al is 6'2" of 6'3".
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #13
paul44
 
paul44's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 435
Was just about to post it! Finally we have a video of the Z/28!
__________________

Join us on: Camaro Club Lebanon
paul44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,709
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #15
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?
 
SUKXOST's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Sumter, SC
Posts: 3,067
awesome
__________________
My 1LE (645WHP/597WTQ) build/journal Thread:
1st ever 1LE COTW http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255461
SUKXOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
immaculate chaos
Chasing the horizon
 
immaculate chaos's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Freightliner
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 44
The Z's Recaros are manual and 3lbs lighter while the SS's are power and heated therefore heavier.....I'd much rather have the lighter manual Recaros in my future 1le.
immaculate chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #17
Zfatuated

 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
The video is live now: WATCH IT HERE

An additional wicker-bill will be available for the rear spoiler, to increase downforce...

Interesting comments on the Multimatic suspension, and how they can be tuned for both high and low-speed damping...

North of $56,500...

3.91 rear end ratio...

Parts will be available to other Camaro owners...

Around 1,500 built per year...

QUESTION: How tall is Al Oppenheiser? His head it up against the headliner, and I'm 6'7" tall -- and wondering how I'll fit with a helmet. I sense a racing shell is in my future...
Thanks for posting the link. Wow, great stuff.

Having some personal experience with adjustable dampers, I'll note the suspension is not user tunable/adjustable, his comment in the video was to point out how the spool-valve design allows for high and low speed tuning (non- user adjustable, factory calibration), which gives both good wheel control on track (banging rumble strips) without destroying around town ride (road imperfections).

In fact, Jay noted in the video it "gives a nice compliant, firm ride". To me this means they didn't kill the ride with high spring rates, they chose instead to do the right thing and use good dampening. All things being equal, soft springs mean better tire grip to the extent you can tolerate the body roll. Kudos again to the engineers for going this route.

Another tidbit, "80 mph you're barely turning 2000 rpm" comment means obviously that 6th gear is an OD ratio. That's actually a good thing if you are driving the car to/from the track, otherwise you'd be looking at terrible gas mileage and greatly increased engine wear. I've driven close ratio gearbox cars for long distances and the noise and fuel mileage while turning 3000-3500rpm at 80 mph is miserable.

So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged.

The idle at approx 12:00 sure sounds nasty (in a good way).
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
dixonk
 
dixonk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 1,100
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
My ears perked up when I heard him say that all the parts will be available to buy for the SS!

Seats, intake, spoiler....drool.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #19
GraySS2011
 
GraySS2011's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chelmsford MA
Posts: 399
Thumbs up Jay Leno test drives new 2014 Z/28 [video]

Good close up look at the car and drive. Comments also from GM chief Al Oppenheiser.

__________________
2011 2SS RSS , MN6, CGM
http://www.angelfire.com/hi/nicecorvette <----- My Cars and Trucks


GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 3,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
Thanks for posting the link. Wow, great stuff.

Having some personal experience with adjustable dampers, I'll note the suspension is not user tunable/adjustable, his comment in the video was to point out how the spool-valve design allows for high and low speed tuning (non- user adjustable, factory calibration), which gives both good wheel control on track (banging rumble strips) without destroying around town ride (road imperfections).

In fact, Jay noted in the video it "gives a nice compliant, firm ride". To me this means they didn't kill the ride with high spring rates, they chose instead to do the right thing and use good dampening. All things being equal, soft springs mean better tire grip to the extent you can tolerate the body roll. Kudos again to the engineers for going this route.

Another tidbit, "80 mph you're barely turning 2000 rpm" comment means obviously that 6th gear is an OD ratio. That's actually a good thing if you are driving the car to/from the track, otherwise you'd be looking at terrible gas mileage and greatly increased engine wear. I've driven close ratio gearbox cars for long distances and the noise and fuel mileage while turning 3000-3500rpm at 80 mph is miserable.

So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged.

The idle at approx 12:00 sure sounds nasty (in a good way).
Soft springing and good damping was the classic philosophy of Colin Chapman back in the day when his Lotus Formula 1 cars were dominating championships. The fact they went with this philosophy and Jay mentions it shows just how serious they are about this being a true track car.

I really wish they hadn't announced a production limit because that's now a license to gouge for the dealers. I wonder how many will automatically order their allotment with a/c and sound system because they can charge the maximum that way? It might be nearly impossible to get one without those unless you order it; and you'll probably have to order it early before the dealers fill up the allotments with what THEY want which is a limited production model for price gouging. Even if they planned on a limited production they should have just kept that confidential to prevent dealer gouging.

Unless you can buy from a good dealer who doesn't gouge, there's now no chance of getting one for less than $70k; even if the MSRP is in the low $60k range. And unless they believe you're a serious buyer, I'm guessing there's no chance of even getting a test drive either.

I thought it was interesting that Al mentioned the paint was a 40% gloss white; that's good to know because if anyone wants that look they can have a paint shop do a 40% gloss clear over whatever factory color they get.

I have a feeling 1,500 a year isn't going to be NEARLY enough... the demand is going to be far greater than that... just within the Camaro community itself, not even considering those outside the community who are going to want one.

Beautiful car... looks great, sounds great, goes great.... you can't ask for better than that.
__________________

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #21
gmen09
 
gmen09's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS ls3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Flemington NJ
Posts: 575
Jay leno's review of the z/28

http://youtu.be/gc-T--DI0qQ

Jay is the first person outside of GM to drive the new z/28
__________________
gmen09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #22
Al C.
 
Al C.'s Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 668
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
brt3
Runs with scissors...
 
brt3's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
brt3, Jay Leno is 5' 11". I'd say Al is 3-4 inches taller by looking at the video, so say Al is 6'2" of 6'3".
Bad news for me, at 6'7"...
__________________
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
brt3
Runs with scissors...
 
brt3's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
...So, 1500 per year, that is the first time I've heard "limited production" from an official source. At the release they said no limits, so that is an officially new revelation. 1500 is a bunch of Camaros compared to say GT2RS/GT3RS 4.0 at 500 cars each worldwide, but still a "limit" will be creation of scarcity and scarcity is a primary determinant of value, so dealers will be adding markups. If you are a serious Z/28 buyer you'd better sign a purchase order now noting your price or don't come whining about getting gouged...
I don't know if this is a limit, or Al simply saying they'll build around 1,500 because that's how many he thinks they'll sell. I tend to think it's not formally limited, but I don't have a lot of knowledge regarding how Chevy historically handles this sort of thing...
__________________
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
km9v
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
Mr. Chin buys another car. woohoo
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.