Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

HeadlightArmor
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Forced Induction - V8 V8 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 08-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #51
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS 05 Jag S type R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Slayer View Post
Nitto 295/35/22s..decent on the street 1.7x sixtys at the track...... Guys a big big key is the rear alighnment,without the proper rear alighnment you wont hook very well.We have helped set up some really fast irs cars,the record holding GTO,fith gen Camaro and the G8 record holder and one of the key parts is the alighnment. Maybe ill get someone to write up our tips so we can post them up if you guys are intrested
So were you going to write up your tips? Just curious now your tips compare to others.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, No Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #52
EOD

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro & 1999 Silverado
I also have the Nitto 555r for street use. When I was making 500rwhp they were great and only spun when i wanted them to. I got about 12,000 miles to my first set. For the first 10,000 miles they aren't bad in the rain. Now that I am running more power its a different story. If I punch it without dumping the clutch at high way speeds i take up both lanes. I am sure it is possible to post good times on the track with them, but you need to be a good driver with a better set up than I have. High 11's was the best I could do without the SC. I just switch to ET streets for the track now.
EOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #53
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 02 Lightning, 98 jeep
My 305 555rs wouldnt spin in first gear when i was at 577rwhp now with around 650 its a different story.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #54
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdblan2 View Post
OP, I just went through this too. I do not daily drive the car, it's just driven on weekends and parked in the winter. When I got the car back with the whipple, it felt like I was driving on ice on the stock tires. From a stop it was instant smoke fest. At interstate speed, it was instant smoke fest.

I just switched to some 315 rear NT05 (non drag radials) about 2 weeks ago. From a stop, I have substatially increased traction. From a roll, I get no chirp, no smoke. I just go.

I had put the tires on but not "tested" the traction until I got my new axles installed. The morning I was driving to get the axles put in it was raining quite a bit so I had to drive the car in the rain. I can tell you the NT05's non drag radials I have SUCK in the rain. Over around 45 mph it felt like the car was floating. Scary feeling. Reading around online a bit it seems this is common until they wear a bit though. Most folks seem to love them in the rain.

I don't plan to drive the car in the rain but you never know when you'll get caught in a thunderstorm. Right now, I'd tell you if the car is your daily driver to get something other than these tires. I have tons of traction and am happy with how they hook when dry, but if they don't get better in the rain I'm going to replace them with something else.

I'm gonna quote myself to update what I said...These tires never got better in the rain. There is NO WAY I'd put them on a daily driver. Also, I got around 2500 miles out of the rears with no track days.

I'm gonna try the Vreds next before going to a drag radial.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #55
Jchaluja

Drives: Twin Turbo Camaro
I run the 555r's for dd and track, run consistent mid 10's with 1.7's 60'....they last me 12k miles, I feel these are a good compromise between track and street if you don't want to be switching tires at the track....
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #56
bct10985

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3, 02 Lightning, 98 jeep
Quote:
I'm gonna quote myself to update what I said...These tires never got better in the rain. There is NO WAY I'd put them on a daily driver. Also, I got around 2500 miles out of the rears with no track days.

2500 miles out of non drag radial nt05? So what do the drag radial version get?
Old 08-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #57
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:

I agree. I put the NT 05 on my car just to put around on. One sat I took the car out with sunny skies and no rain in the forecast. A few hrs later it was down pouring and the driving was white knuckled. Had to drive like an eggs was underneath the throttle. Pretty sketchy.
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #58
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged SS View Post
I agree. I put the NT 05 on my car just to put around on. One sat I took the car out with sunny skies and no rain in the forecast. A few hrs later it was down pouring and the driving was white knuckled. Had to drive like an eggs was underneath the throttle. Pretty sketchy.
Scary as hell isn't it? I keep saying it felt like I was driving a boat at around 45mph. I could literally feel all 4 corners picking up. When I got to where I was going I was shaking and looked like I needed a shower from sweating so much. Never again.

I couldn't imagine trying the DR version of these things if they're any worse than the street tires.