Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #18
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT
 
Sven59's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1 #182, 85 AMC Jeep CJ7
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post


--RELEASE--

LG Motorsports is proud to bring you Cobalt Racing Technology pads for your Camaro ZL1

If you are going to be tracking your new Camaro ZL1 you will need a better pad on the car than the OEM equipment. For those tracks hard on brakes as well as experienced drivers are going to find the factory brake pads are just not up to the task of repeated hard use of the brake pedal.

We at LG Motorsports have chosen the best for our own race cars with Cobalt Friction Technologies (Cobalt Racing Brakes) brake pads. We have been using Cobalt pads on our own race cars since 2006 and have not used anything else on them since! Easy on rotors, great initial bite, and awesome wear rates make them the best pads on the market today.

We have fitments for the SS, ZL1, OEM Corvette brakes as well as almost any other aftermarket BBK kit on the market today. Talk to your sales rep for details on what compounds would be right for your setup.
Are there any ceramic pads or low brake dust pads that will work on the Zl1 yet maintain the performance level?
__________________
"DO YOU WANT ME TO PUT THE HAMMER DOWN?"
Sven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #19
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Are there any ceramic pads or low brake dust pads that will work on the Zl1 yet maintain the performance level?
Cobalt doesn't make any low dust, or ceramic pads.

I do not know of any iron rotor setup that would be quiet, no dust, and stop like a race pad.

The Carbon/Ceramic setup on the ZR1's is the closest thing I know of that will do that.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #20
plumber84
Duke
 
plumber84's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS RS M6
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 114
I use the Cobalt Friction XR1 & XR3 in my car and can vouch for how awesome they are. Can you pm me with a price please I need a new set of XR1's
__________________
Vararam CAI, BFE 1 7/8" headers, 3" X pipe w/cats, Pfadt phase 5 suspension, BMR tunnel brace & subframe connector, Hurst Shifter, SRP racing pedals, AP Racing RadiCal Big Brake Kit front, Cobalt Friction Brake Pads XR2 (F) XR3 (R), Goodridge SS Brake Lines, StopTech STR-660 Race Brake Fluid, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rims 20"x10" (F) 20"x11" (R). Toyo R888 285-35-20/315-30-20, RX oil catch can, Dynomax Ultra Flo SS Axle-Back Exhaust, ECS dyno tune 422.3rwhp/422.9tq stock engine. ZL1 Aerodynamics. GM Dovetail Rear Spoiler. Z/28 Wicker Bill Z/28 Axels
plumber84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber84 View Post
I use the Cobalt Friction XR1 & XR3 in my car and can vouch for how awesome they are. Can you pm me with a price please I need a new set of XR1's
PM sent!

It's hard to explain over the net just how big of a difference a great set of pads can make to a braking system on the cars. We have been trusting no one but Cobalt now for years!
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #22
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,237
Like Tbone I too have experienced brake failure while roaring into a corner. I agree that it is hard to let go of something that is working well for me. I'm using the Porterfield R4 pad now and have never experienced anything that stops better. The downside is one set of pads will eat about 2 sets of rotors. I have always been willing to buy new rotors just to have the dependable braking. Do you know how Cobalts compare to the Porterfields for torque and heat range?
__________________
ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. LSA blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. rwhp TBD...
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #23
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette DSOM, '13 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,504
I am a novice at running a road course. I've done 1 HPDE day at Gingerman and a couple Autocross sessions. My question is would these be overkill for a novice with stock rotors? Will they eat the stock rotors quickly? What would be the next step for me without spending a lot of money? I was told to use the stock SS rotors and pads for now but my next time out will be in the intermediate group so I want to have some degree of confidence in my braking!
__________________

Not a Camaro but it works for now!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #24
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I am a novice at running a road course. I've done 1 HPDE day at Gingerman and a couple Autocross sessions. My question is would these be overkill for a novice with stock rotors? Will they eat the stock rotors quickly? What would be the next step for me without spending a lot of money? I was told to use the stock SS rotors and pads for now but my next time out will be in the intermediate group so I want to have some degree of confidence in my braking!

I wouldn't run the pads as a daily driver just due to the dust, noise, and cost.

Now with that being said....

Having the best track pads, fluids, lines...is all a matter of safety. You can more than work your way into those pads on track and they will never fade on you and will stop the car far before you reach that late of a braking point on track.

Some say it is easier to learn on crappy tires and crappy brakes, because if you can drive that.....well you can drive pretty much anything, but it isn't quite as safe to do so. I would much rather see someone go out on a street tire with a good set of brakes, rather than slicks with stock brakes on it.



First things first though...stainless lines and good quality brake fluid and make sure the fluid stays fresh!
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette DSOM, '13 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony @ LG Motorsports View Post
I wouldn't run the pads as a daily driver just due to the dust, noise, and cost.

Now with that being said....

Having the best track pads, fluids, lines...is all a matter of safety. You can more than work your way into those pads on track and they will never fade on you and will stop the car far before you reach that late of a braking point on track.

Some say it is easier to learn on crappy tires and crappy brakes, because if you can drive that.....well you can drive pretty much anything, but it isn't quite as safe to do so. I would much rather see someone go out on a street tire with a good set of brakes, rather than slicks with stock brakes on it.



First things first though...stainless lines and good quality brake fluid and make sure the fluid stays fresh!
I have RB stainless brake lines and dot 4 fluid already but i will need to flush with fresh fluid before next outing. What dot 4 do you recommend?
__________________

Not a Camaro but it works for now!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:41 PM   #26
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I have RB stainless brake lines and dot 4 fluid already but i will need to flush with fresh fluid before next outing. What dot 4 do you recommend?
Motul RBF is good, Endless 650, and of course there is Castrol SRF....but not technically a DOT 4 fluid...and it is hard to find and not the cheapest stuff out there.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #27
RaySouth
 
RaySouth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 56
Cobalt racing brake pads.

Anthony, would you pm me a price for ZL1 cobalt racing pads xr1 front/xr3 rear shipped to 54311.

RaySouth

Last edited by RaySouth; 02-23-2014 at 05:35 PM.
RaySouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:19 PM   #28
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,827
Ray,

You can also order directly from CB, http://www.cobaltfriction.com/Search...s.asp?Cat=2478 .

I never came back to say these are really good pads. They stop our cars phenomenally well but, like other pads, if you are hard on them they wear quickly. Not a bad thing just a thing. These have helped knock a few seconds off lap times because you can go deeeper into the braking zones. Very nice pads.

Another positive is that Andie Lin has gone above and beyond for me at times when I have needed pads quickly, usually because of my forgetfulness. He is their Director of motorsports R&D and even has a post or two on here. Great guy and will do what he can for you. Not to take away anything from the guys at LG,.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:24 PM   #29
RaySouth
 
RaySouth's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 CRT
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Green Bay
Posts: 56
Cobalt pads

TBone, having used these pads, what do you use for your road race set up?
The cobalt website recommends the xr1 and xr2 combination. Anthony at lg recommended the xr1 and xr3 combo.

PS:

Your sig says:

Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next Track fix.

I could not agree more as my last road America track day high lasted at least a month.

Ray South
RaySouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #30
Anthony @ LG Motorsports



 
Anthony @ LG Motorsports's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Ray,

You can also order directly from CB, http://www.cobaltfriction.com/Search...s.asp?Cat=2478 .

I never came back to say these are really good pads. They stop our cars phenomenally well but, like other pads, if you are hard on them they wear quickly. Not a bad thing just a thing. These have helped knock a few seconds off lap times because you can go deeeper into the braking zones. Very nice pads.

Another positive is that Andie Lin has gone above and beyond for me at times when I have needed pads quickly, usually because of my forgetfulness. He is their Director of motorsports R&D and even has a post or two on here. Great guy and will do what he can for you. Not to take away anything from the guys at LG,.

T.
Don't know how long you have been working with Andie, but we have been since approx late '04 into '05 and have not used any other brake pad since then. Seriously, THE best pad we have ever had on a race car. That doesn't even come into how helpful Andie has been on doing custom sets for us over the years on different race car projects.

We brought Andie into the World Challenge cars in 2005, and by 2008 almost all of the teams had switched over they were that good.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 PM   #31
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: US
Posts: 3,965
What daily driver pads are compatible with their compounds so I wouldn't need to turn the rotor or swap rotors every track day?
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #32
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,827
Ray,

That is going to depend on you I suppose. Which run group do you drive with? If you are in the intermediate or advanced group then you need a faster pad. At a minimum XR1 in front and then it is up to you on the rear but you can't go wrong with either. But it really depends on your experience and aggressiveness. Also keep in mind the high speeds we see at RA.

Anthony,

You could not be more right.

Synner,

Track pads are made for the track, Street pads for the street. They should never, IMO, NOT be swapped for a track day. Besides, it only takes about a half hour.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM   #33
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: US
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
Synner,

Track pads are made for the track, Street pads for the street. They should never, IMO, NOT be swapped for a track day. Besides, it only takes about a half hour.

T.
Thats why I'm asking for compatible everyday pad types that can be swapped out for these without a rotor turning or swap headache. Pad swaps would only add 5 minutes since I bleed my brakes before every track day but I have no interest in dismounting the caliper to swap out rotors.
Synner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #34
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,827
I had this whole long reply ready to go only to realize I misread your post.

Kudos to you for bleeding every time. Most people on here don't seem to understand that one.

I have actually been running Carbotechs Bobcat's (1521's I think) on the street. I just do a quick scuff of the rotors with some sandpaper and after a few quick stops no issues. I ran DBA 4000's for two years, street and track, with no issues.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.