Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Fabberge
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Member Car Journals Want to keep a long term Camaro project journal to share with the community? Use this forum to create a single thread which you can update over time to document the progress.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #426
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
He's talking about the plenum cover.
Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah I removed that awhile ago. 5 lbs of weight I don't need.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #427
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Oh yeah, that thing. Yeah I removed that awhile ago. 5 lbs of weight I don't need.
Now i think you're talking about the engine cover haha.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #428
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
The engine cover is 5lbs but you could be right on the plenum cover. It covers the plenum or manifold right under the fuel rails. You have to remove fuel rail and injectors to take it off, pretty heavy too and it should prevent heat retention I would think. If you did remove it, can you let us know how heavy it was?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #429
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
The engine cover is 5lbs but you could be right on the plenum cover. It covers the plenum or manifold right under the fuel rails. You have to remove fuel rail and injectors to take it off, pretty heavy too and it should prevent heat retention I would think. If you did remove it, can you let us know how heavy it was?
I was curious why no one seems to take it off and leave it off, almost as if it could insulate the manifold from engine bay temps? Possibly beneficial to leave it on. Unless GM only put it on there to quiet it down.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:19 AM   #430
Mgizzle

Well the heat generating source is the engine, internals. The cover would hold it in more I would think. Hence it could be to lower rail exposure to heat but most likely to quiet valve noise down I would think.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #431
Pro Stock John
Shizzler

Drives: 2010 SS / 1951 Mercury
I didn't even realize that there was an intake cover until I bought another intake for porting. Looks like something for sound reduction.
Mods: GPI Tune | Bo White PTP | Kooks Headers | Circle D 3200 | New Era OTR | RCR Ported Intake | 305/45R18 NT05R | Powerbond UDP

LSX Record List: http://motorhed.com/xf/threads/lsx-r...the-list.6022/
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #432
Mgizzle

Hey Doc, looking at pictures of ur engine bay with the holly covers you DID NOT remove intake cover.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:07 AM   #433
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I didn't even realize that there was an intake cover until I bought another intake for porting. Looks like something for sound reduction.
Quote:
Hey Doc, looking at pictures of ur engine bay with the holly covers you DID NOT remove intake cover.
Is it that plastic thing people paint under the fuel rail?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #434
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
Doing some upgrades to previous um...upgrades. Yeah I know.

At any rate, I just received a set of Pfadt's gorgeous Tri-Y headers and cats. The workmanship is beautiful; even the box they came shipped in was nicely done!

The headers themselves weigh 12.52 lbs each, and the high-flow cats weigh 3.42 lbs each. The collar clamps to connect the headers to the cats weigh .625 lbs each so the combo of header/cat/clamp weighs about 16.57 lbs or basically 16 1/2 lbs each. That is very light! Compare that to the factor exhaust manifold and cat combo which weighs 23 lbs. The combined Pfadt set saves 12.8 lbs compared to stock.

Header on the scale:
Attachment 537232

Cat on the scale:
Attachment 537233

I'm planning on a before/after dyno/install session in a couple of weeks so I'll have the upgrade comparison between the Bassani headers and cats which are currently on the car, and the new Pfadt setup. I have to take the car in next week for some paint repair (hit an orange cone at speed on the racetrack which busted up the lower yellow accent stripe in the front) otherwise I'd get the headers installed next week.

I'm also putting together a lighter track set of tires and wheels; the wheels are at the paint shop right now. I got a set of Enkei RPF-1 19x10's and some Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in 275/40-19. The Enkei's weigh 20.175 lbs each:
Attachment 537234

and the Michelin's weigh 29.275 lbs each:
Attachment 537236

The Enkei RPF-1 came in silver but I got the rim lip polished and I'm having the centers painted to match the yellow on my car.

Enkei in silver:
Attachment 537239

Enkei with rim lip polished:
Attachment 537235

I should get those back next week and I'll get the tires mounted and do a final weight measure. Even with the TPMS unit, valve stem and balance weights I'm expecting these will be 49 lbs each plus a few ounces. That's over 7 lbs lighter each over what I have now, so the combined set of 4 should save me about 29 lbs of unsprung rotating weight. That will have the same effect as pulling roughly 140 lbs of dead weight out of the car.

After I get all this new stuff installed I'll take the car to the truck scale and get it weighed again. I'm estimating about 3,658 lbs with a full tank. I'm looking at Sparco racing seats, tank plates, harness bar and 5-point harnesses and I estimate I can save about 44 lbs there. The seats I'm looking at weigh 66 lbs less than stock but the tank plates, harnesses and harness bar adds 22 lbs back. If I go that route that should put the car at about 3,614 lbs with a full tank. It would be nice to find another 15-20 lbs of weight savings somewhere so I could get the car under 3,600 lbs but I'd have to think about that carefully to see what and where would be the best place to find that.

Anyways...the car just keeps getting better and better.
We get these headers installed yet?! I'd love to see some sound clips and dyno numbers! Car is looking great BTW
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #435
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: 2010
I wonder if the intake cover is for the heater hose that lays on the engine for heat reduction
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #436
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
I wonder if the intake cover is for the heater hose that lays on the engine for heat reduction
Nah, many (if not all) LS engines have had that cover, and not all of them have the heater hoses routed that way.

And actually, they arent even routed that way for 2012-2014 camaros
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #437
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: 2010
What I did not know that. Thanks
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #438
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
We get these headers installed yet?! I'd love to see some sound clips and dyno numbers! Car is looking great BTW
They're going in Friday along with dyno run. Thanks.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM

Last edited by Doc; 08-19-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #439
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Quote:
They're going in Friday along with dyno run. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #440
Biscuitpie

Drives: '11 Cammed LS3, '14 Scion FRS
What does it weigh currently?

SOLD with a Z06 in the not too distant future: Cammed, boltons, axles, lowered, and more. | 476 WHP
Biscuitpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #441
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitpie View Post
What does it weigh currently?
By calculation it was 3,688 lbs but that was before I put the new wheels on; they're a total of 32 lbs lighter so again by calculation it should now be 3,656 lbs. I'm getting the headers installed this morning and afterwards I'll fill it up and take it to the truck scale to get the actual current weight.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #442
BaylorCamaro
AutoX is for fast DRIVERS

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Dyno results?
Old 08-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #443
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Okay, got the Pfadt Tri-Y headers installed. I was surprised at the "before" dyno as it showed 32 less rwhp than the Hess Motorsports dyno did when they put the Bassani headers and comp cam in. Hess gave me a dyno sheet showing 468 rwhp. At GTR the before run showed 436. The "after" run which was with the Pfadt headers showed a marginal increase in hp; 440 vs 436 but a nice boost in torque from about 2200-4300 rpm which is exactly where you want more torque for pulling out of corners on the track.

Below is the dyno with best runs for before with the Bassani headers in blue, and after with the Pfadt headers in red.
Name:  BlueAngel Pfadt headers dyno.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  164.0 KB

Sound impression: the Pfadt headers with their cats have a mellower, smoother tone compared to the Bassani which have more of a bark. The Pfadts sound great at full throttle though. I actually liked the sound of the Bassani headers but I'm assuming the tone of the Pfadts will sharpen a bit once the hi-flow cats break in.

Driving impression: I could feel the torque right away; especially in 3rd gear at 3500 rpm. At about 2250 rpm you can see on the dyno chart the Pfadt headers have 10 more hp and 15 lbs more torque and that holds until about 2700 rpm when the Bassani's catch up but then at 3500 rpm the Pfadts give smoother more consistent power and more torque until about 4300 rpm. So basically the Pfadt are delivering more torque and smoother power from roughly 2200-4300 rpm which is a great range for driving.

Temps were hot today; about 95° in the shop at GTR but even hotter outside. In cooler weather performance should be even better.

Another very nice benefit (besides looks; the Pfadt headers are beautiful) is the improvement in underbody clearance. The Pfadt headers don't stick down as far as the Bassani did which means I'll have a better time going over parking lot speed bumps and steep driveways.

Summary: If you don't have anything at all other than the factory exhaust, get the Pfadt; you won't be disappointed. If you already have name-brand long tube headers, unless you need better ground clearance and don't mind spending the money for the Pfadt, stick with what you've got; the difference isn't that much.

The Pfadt Tri-Y headers are beautifully made, beautiful to look at, fit easily, have great ground clearance and deliver good solid performance.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #444
Mgizzle

I really like those headers man, they look very nice and I love that they don't stick under the car too much. Anyhow, how do you protect against the heat in the engine bay now, do you have them wrapped or coated? Really interested to hear from you about this, especially with respect to track time. Are you looking into hood vents of some sort?
Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #445
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
I really like those headers man, they look very nice and I love that they don't stick under the car too much. Anyhow, how do you protect against the heat in the engine bay now, do you have them wrapped or coated? Really interested to hear from you about this, especially with respect to track time. Are you looking into hood vents of some sort?
The Bassani's I had coated; these are not so I'll probably look at getting them wrapped but it's a shame; they look SO GOOD in the engine compartment lol.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 08-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #446
vroomapunk
Cammed!!!!!!

Quote:
The Bassani's I had coated; these are not so I'll probably look at getting them wrapped but it's a shame; they look SO GOOD in the engine compartment lol.
Lots of people and header manuf. on this forum are against wrapping, you dont agree with that?
Old 08-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #447
Mgizzle

Man, I could not hit the track knowing there are no heet shields or wrap on the headers. Why ids wrapping bad?
Old 08-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #448
BSR-1

Drives: 2LT, MT, Black on Black
Quote:
Man, I could not hit the track knowing there are no heet shields or wrap on the headers. Why ids wrapping bad?
Doesn't allow heat to escape the header walls, traps moisture against bare metal.
Just off the top of my head, there may be other or better reasons. I'm not the expert.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #449
14pilot
Original Bumblebee Owner

Drives: 265hp ZX-14, 500hp Silverado, V-ROD
In addition to the moisture on metal issue, the wrap works so well that it can cause the welds to fail and crack open. Racing teams don't care because they wrap and then put new headers on when they fail. No big deal with sponsors and when its in the annual racing budget. Pay to play...
#5 - 2010 2SS/RS MN6 ABM #142-Silver Rallys-GFX / Med Titanium
My previous Camaros:
#4 - 1994 Z/28 6M Black over Arctic White / Graphite-Red Inserts - traded
#3 - 1981 Z/28 Bright Blue Metallic / Black - sold
#2 - 1970.5 RS Mulsanne Blue / Blue - endo crashed it and parted it out
#1 - 1967 RS Butternut Yellow w/ Black Bumblebee Stripe-RPO D91 / Parchment-Black - sold
14pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:26 PM   #450
Mgizzle

Hmmm, is moisture really an issue with headers that hot? Also, welds cracking would point to other issues plus welds on headers vs. other OEM parts like steering rod or other parts going bad?! How well does coating work as compared to wrap?

Tags
camaro of the week