Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
B&M
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR046 View Post
Do you have any experience with the zl1 or any other track experience with braking/tire? You seem to have a lot of knowledge in this subject and am curious if talking
from experience or opinion.
I guess since camaros aren't driven at road courses as much as drag strips, it can be hard to believe that there are actually people out there who do road courses.

While I don't have any seat time in a Camaro on track, I have plenty of seat time in various other car brands (mitsubishi, porsche, subaru, nissan, BMW, toyota). Yes, I have close to 4 years of knowledge/experience on the track, with respectable lap times in the advanced groups. I've had to learn the hard way about what makes a production car track worthy and what doesn't. As my experience grew, I've had to deal with tranny overheat, coolant overheat, brake overheat, etc. If a production car can manage all of these issues reliably in a track environment, it is very impressive because VERY few can (hence the reason the z/28 caught my eye). I also have experience with CCB rotors. I wouldn't have made the post I made if I didn't.

Sear point/Sonoma Raceway (skip to the end @ 12:42 to see a Camaro blow my doors off):



Thunderhill Raceway:



Laguna Seca:


orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #36
brt3
Runs with scissors...
 
brt3's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,443
I love CCBs and have driven many CCB-equipped cars on-track (and at the limit). I think many Porsche owners dislike them because of the way = Porsche handles the electronics for traction control and handling. In cars equipped with Porsche Torque Vectoring, the brakes can be applied by the system to help rotate the car. This leads to excessive rear brake wear, meaning the CCBs don't end up with the "virtually unlimited lifespan" referred to by the factory.

To me, it seems that a lot of folks miss that one of the big things you get with CCBs is a huge reduction in unsprung weight, along with the potential for improved ride and handling characteristics that result if a car is designed around the CCBs.

And then there's the very substantial issue of no brake dust...
__________________
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #37
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
I love CCBs and have driven many CCB-equipped cars on-track (and at the limit). I think many Porsche owners dislike them because of the way = Porsche handles the electronics for traction control and handling. In cars equipped with Porsche Torque Vectoring, the brakes can be applied by the system to help rotate the car. This leads to excessive rear brake wear, meaning the CCBs don't end up with the "virtually unlimited lifespan" referred to by the factory.

To me, it seems that a lot of folks miss that one of the big things you get with CCBs is a huge reduction in unsprung weight, along with the potential for improved ride and handling characteristics that result if a car is designed around the CCBs.

And then there's the very substantial issue of no brake dust...
Totally agree with you on the benefits of CCB, there's no debate there.
It's very interesting that you bring up the PTV system, because I agree that it does affect the lifespan of CCB rotors. I've seen a friend's PTV equipped 911 eat through his rear CCB in only 4 track days.

That being said, PTV isn't the main problem. My CCB equipped car doesn't have PTV and the front rotors started to show wear after only a few track days. To replace them at $17k for a full set just wasn't realistic, so I switched to iron replacements.

Cost is the issue with CCB. If they could last forever, or replacements make sense from a financial standpoint, then you would have a winner.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #38
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 886
It's actually PSM, Porsche Stability Management that eats the rears. PTV, Porsche Torque Vectoring, was not available on pre-991 Porsche cars (Cayenne/Panamera had it though starting 2011). But the PSM combined with the traction control is what contributes to the eating of the PCCB as the other poster(s) noted. No biggie, just clarifying the specifics

Porsche also uses a different ceramic rotor construction from the Chevy ceramics. Porsche laminates on a surface layer to a chopped fiber core. Thermal shock, intensive use with no or poor warm-up/cool down, causes the outer layer to flake off exposing the rough inner core which is highly abrasive to the pads.

And the Porsche rotors are undersized for track use, which exacerbates all the above.

With the Chevy ceramics being different construction, huge sizing, and much lower price, I have no reservations in regards to the ceramic option for the Z/28. It was the right choice for all the right reasons.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #39
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
It's actually PSM, Porsche Stability Management that eats the rears. PTV, Porsche Torque Vectoring, was not available on pre-991 Porsche cars (Cayenne/Panamera had it though starting 2011). But the PSM combined with the traction control is what contributes to the eating of the PCCB as the other poster(s) noted. No biggie, just clarifying the specifics

Porsche also uses a different ceramic rotor construction from the Chevy ceramics. Porsche laminates on a surface layer to a chopped fiber core. Thermal shock, intensive use with no or poor warm-up/cool down, causes the outer layer to flake off exposing the inner core which is highly abrasive to the pads.

And the Porsche rotors are undersized for track use, which exacerbates all the above.

With the Chevy ceramics being different construction, huge sizing, and much lower price, I have no reservations on the ceramic option for the Z/28. It was the right choice for all the right reasons.
Yes, you are right that PSM will eat your rear rotors. Given that PTV also utilizes the rear brakes, I would guess it probably adds to the rear wear as well. PSM is probably the main 'offender', though.

Interesting and good to know that the Chevy CCBs are different. Maybe closer in design to your movits?
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #40
Zfatuated

 
Zfatuated's Avatar
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
Interesting and good to know that the Chevy CCBs are different. Maybe closer in design to your movits?
In between. The MovIt/Surface Transforms rotors are true F1 technology and virtually indestructible, they'll last "forever". The Chevy version is still a consumable, just wear differently and way lower replacement cost than PCCB.

At ~$1000 a rotor, I'll take the value proposition offered all day long and twice on Sunday...lol.

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #41
mr02Z/28

 
Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Phila.,PA
Posts: 964
as Al stated on the Jay Leno test drive of the '14 Z/28 ... more then a ZL1 and "North" of $56,500 ...... My guess closer to $70,000 and parts prices will reflect it .... Good luck ...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:18 PM   #42
Mgizzle

 
Mgizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Detroit
Posts: 854
Guys, chevy does not have CCB brakes, they have CCM brakes. Different material composition. Porsche has CCB and the rotors are a lot more expensive because the rotor is covered by ceramic material again.. CCM is not. The enzo ferrari had CCM. CCB supposedly handles higher temps due to ceramic coating and doesnt burn off epoxy as fast as CCM.

Anyhow, Just to clear it up a bit.

http://www.carbonceramicbrakes.com/e...echnology.aspx

See how CCB doesnt show the carbon fibers like the CCM on Z/28?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2073324...0448/lightbox/

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gal...rakes.JPG.html
__________________
I work for General Motors and am not an official spokes person for General Motors. My views and opinions are my own and not those of General Motors.

Last edited by Mgizzle; 08-16-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #43
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Guys, chevy does not have CCB brakes, they have CCM brakes. Different material composition. Porsche has CCB and the rotors are a lot more expensive because the rotor is covered by ceramic material again.. CCM is not. The enzo ferrari had CCM. CCB supposedly handles higher temps due to ceramic coating and doesnt burn off epoxy as fast as CCM.

Anyhow, Just to clear it up a bit.

http://www.carbonceramicbrakes.com/e...echnology.aspx

See how CCB doesnt show the carbon fibers like the CCM on Z/28?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2073324...0448/lightbox/

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gal...rakes.JPG.html
Thanks for the info. I never knew there was a difference. So that would explain why the Chevy CCM rotors are cheaper than Porsche CCB. Given that the Porsche CCBs don't hold up well with track use though, that makes me wonder how long CCM rotors will last
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #44
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,616
Very interesting, which is better? As I see both are in use by very very high-end users.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #45
backtotintops
 
backtotintops's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 723
talked to a pordchee gt2 owner yesterday at the glen. He told me 8k per axle!!! He immediately took them off and has been happily using the steel brembo replacements for years in de events. Seems like a good plan unless you are endurance racing and yes I'm aware of the unsprung weight.
backtotintops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #46
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie
 
TBone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Join Date: May 2009
Location: ChiTown, IL
Posts: 1,827
I spoke to Al O and Mark Steilow at C5fest about this very issue.

Mark said that to get Steel/Iron replacements we will have to look at the aftermarket as GM will not be offering any.

I asked Al the same thing and his response was similar but then he asked me why I would want to replace them and I mentioned cost. He stated that they are using the same rotors on the Z06 cars at the schools for the last three years and still have not replaced them. Those cars are on the track everyday, day in day out. Now if we are going to use the car that hard we should be in good shape.

Now forgive me, this was three'ish weeks ago so one or the other said this about the brakes, I can not remember which, but it was said. Now I do not know how often you guys track but I am lucky to get 3-5 time a year. So if they last that long we should be good.

T.
__________________
"Horsepower is something that looks great in a Magazine article, but suspension is what actually gets you around the track fast.." Jack Olsen
The drag strip is like sniffing glue, it's cheap, it's a decent buzz, it doesn't last long and they are all the same.
Road racing is like China White Heroin, the buzz is stronger, the high lasts for hours, it's extremely addictive and they are all different.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #47
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
He stated that they are using the same rotors on the Z06 cars at the schools for the last three years and still have not replaced them. Those cars are on the track everyday, day in day out. Now if we are going to use the car that hard we should be in good shape.
That's funny. This was the EXACT same response (word for word minus z06) that the instructors at a Porsche sport driving school told my friend about their CCB rotors. He believed them, ordered PCCBs for his car, and then experienced significant wear after only 3 track days. Fast forward to 3 years later and he gets a letter from Porsche telling him that track use will accelerate wear on his CCBs.

Either these guys have no clue, are lying, or the students at these schools never actually brake hard.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:44 PM   #48
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthojoe View Post
I guess since camaros aren't driven at road courses as much as drag strips, it can be hard to believe that there are actually people out there who do road courses.
I just bought my ZL1 at the end of June and immediately started setting it up for road racing on weekends. Previous to this I had about 40 hours of track time with a CTS-V and braking was always a problem in the Caddy. The Camaro 2 piece stock brembos are the same rotors I ended up running in the CTS-V. The Camaro ZL1 has a factory brake duct system. I have about 5 hours of road racing on the ZL1 and have been experiencing engine intake heat issues but have had zero problems with the brakes.... No fade, no standing on the pedal and not stopping, no rotor cracking no problems at all.... And with the weight and horsepower I'm running that is very impressive. If you look in my sig you can see I'm running track tires also. The ZL1 just needs Motul 660 and racing pads and it is good to go.
__________________
ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. LSA blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. rwhp TBD...
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #49
orthojoe
 
Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: California
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
I just bought my ZL1 at the end of June and immediately started setting it up for road racing on weekends. Previous to this I had about 40 hours of track time with a CTS-V and braking was always a problem in the Caddy. The Camaro 2 piece stock brembos are the same rotors I ended up running in the CTS-V. The Camaro ZL1 has a factory brake duct system. I have about 5 hours of road racing on the ZL1 and have been experiencing engine intake heat issues but have had zero problems with the brakes.... No fade, no standing on the pedal and not stopping, no rotor cracking no problems at all.... And with the weight and horsepower I'm running that is very impressive. If you look in my sig you can see I'm running track tires also. The ZL1 just needs Motul 660 and racing pads and it is good to go.
That is great to know. Thanks for the data point!
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.