Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
PFYC
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 232
New top suggestions?

My 2012 45th convertible has two spots that are turning into holes in the top from rubbing against the rear deck when going down. I have a good relationship with my dealership, and they ordered a brand new top under warranty and are giving me a free rental while my car is being worked on. I am just wondering if there is anything I should watch for with the new top replacement. It is going in today.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
cam62

 
Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,255
Wow. Have you searched this site? There are many threads related to top replacements.

The main thing you need to do is insure whoever is doing the replacement is trained and experienced

These tops are notoriously complex and for many the real problems start after the top is replaced.

Gm bought my 2011 back due to this.

Now I have the same issue you do on my 2012.
__________________
rx catch can;vmax ported throttle body;bowtie delete;SLP SS emblem;CAI cold air intake
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 232
Yes, I have looked through the forum. But most of the complaints seemed to be from people that couldn't get GM to do anything to fix their cars. My Chevy dealer IS fixing it. I just didn't feel like looking through 500,000 posts to see if there was anything special I should look for when having it replaced.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
cam62

 
Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Yes, I have looked through the forum. But most of the complaints seemed to be from people that couldn't get GM to do anything to fix their cars. My Chevy dealer IS fixing it. I just didn't feel like looking through 500,000 posts to see if there was anything special I should look for when having it replaced.
I went through it all.

It's not that gm isn't authorizing the repairs, although there have been a few.

It's primarily been the treatment by the chevy dealerships (which are not owned by gm) and the botched replacement jobs.

First and foremost, check for leaks before you leave the service dept. Request to get a hose. With the top up, run water from the hose, all around the area that the top meets the well that the top folds into. Make sure you get plenty of water in the gap between the top and the well. Then check your rear floorboards. If it leaks, don't accept it.

Check the trim piece between the rear windows and the top. That requires a special technique to install correctly. If not done correctly, that piece will begin to come off and require replacement.

check the headliner, make sure you can see no cables over the driver and passenger windows.

check to make sure the top retracts completely into the well. This is the reason your current rub marks are there, and mine.



I'm sure I've missed a few things but I'm sure others will chime in.
__________________
rx catch can;vmax ported throttle body;bowtie delete;SLP SS emblem;CAI cold air intake
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
My 2012 45th convertible has two spots that are turning into holes in the top from rubbing against the rear deck when going down. I have a good relationship with my dealership, and they ordered a brand new top under warranty and are giving me a free rental while my car is being worked on. I am just wondering if there is anything I should watch for with the new top replacement. It is going in today.
linc400,

Glad to hear things are moving smoothly at the dealer. Please let us know the results of the service visit.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
walters477
 
Drives: white 2012 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: minnesota
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
I went through it all.

It's not that gm isn't authorizing the repairs, although there have been a few.

It's primarily been the treatment by the chevy dealerships (which are not owned by gm) and the botched replacement jobs.

First and foremost, check for leaks before you leave the service dept. Request to get a hose. With the top up, run water from the hose, all around the area that the top meets the well that the top folds into. Make sure you get plenty of water in the gap between the top and the well. Then check your rear floorboards. If it leaks, don't accept it.

Check the trim piece between the rear windows and the top. That requires a special technique to install correctly. If not done correctly, that piece will begin to come off and require replacement.

check the headliner, make sure you can see no cables over the driver and passenger windows.

check to make sure the top retracts completely into the well. This is the reason your current rub marks are there, and mine.



I'm sure I've missed a few things but I'm sure others will chime in.
I ran mine thru the car wash today, and they used the bug blaster. You can't believe the stream of water that hit the side of the car! NO LEAKS, everything is dry.
walters477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
I went through it all.

It's not that gm isn't authorizing the repairs, although there have been a few.

It's primarily been the treatment by the chevy dealerships (which are not owned by gm) and the botched replacement jobs.

First and foremost, check for leaks before you leave the service dept. Request to get a hose. With the top up, run water from the hose, all around the area that the top meets the well that the top folds into. Make sure you get plenty of water in the gap between the top and the well. Then check your rear floorboards. If it leaks, don't accept it.

Check the trim piece between the rear windows and the top. That requires a special technique to install correctly. If not done correctly, that piece will begin to come off and require replacement.

check the headliner, make sure you can see no cables over the driver and passenger windows.

check to make sure the top retracts completely into the well. This is the reason your current rub marks are there, and mine.



I'm sure I've missed a few things but I'm sure others will chime in.
Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for. I dropped it off Saturday, and they should start working on it today. I'll check all the above out before I take it home.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 232
Finally got it back on Tuesday. They said it was one day to remove, one day to install, and 5 days making adjustments. It still sits a little higher than I would like when it is completely retracted, but no other problems since I got it back.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
linc400
 
linc400's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 232
Well it has been back twice because the C pillar came apart, and it still needed adjustments. The dealership is being cooperative and taking care of it. But I am getting tired of taking it in.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc


 
Chevrolet Customer Svc's Avatar
 
Drives: GM Vehicles
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Well it has been back twice because the C pillar came apart, and it still needed adjustments. The dealership is being cooperative and taking care of it. But I am getting tired of taking it in.
I understand your frustration, linc400. I am sorry for any inconvenience this is for you but I am glad the dealer is accommodating for your situation. Contact us via private message if you would like to further discuss anything. We can also document any concerns you have.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting William R.)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.