Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
redlich23

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro RS Victory Red
Ghost Cam option with Trifecta Tube

Hi guys!

I am sure this has been discussed before but my searching hasn't given me a real answer. Will using the ghost cam option on the trifecta tune cause damage to my engine or say my bbk high flow cats?

I turned on the ghost cam on the lowest setting and boy does it sound great. I tried it for a few minutes then turned it off in favor of doing some more research. I get mixed info from this site and others. Some say yes it will do damage over time, others say no it just makes your mpg go down.

One curious and disturbing post said it will ruin your highflow cats. That was on a mustang site but none the less. I have bbk LT headers w/ high flow cats and I don't want to ruin them or the engine for that matter.

So I wanted to see what the experience was here and what your thoughts are... If I did use the ghost cam, it would be on the lowest setting. Thanks !

Last edited by redlich23; 09-25-2013 at 07:49 PM.
redlich23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
mc_acoustic

Drives: 2010 1LT Limited Edition Camaro A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlich23 View Post
Hi guys!

I am sure this has been discussed before but my searching hasn't given me a real answer. Will using the ghost cam option on the trifecta tune cause damage to my engine or say my bbk high flow cats?

I turned on the ghost cam on the lowest setting and boy does it sound great. I tried it for a few minutes then turned it off in favor of doing some more research. I get mixed info from this site and others. Some say yes it will do damage over time, others say no it just makes your mpg go down.

One curious and disturbing post said it will ruin your highflow cats. That was on a mustang site but none the less. I have bbk LT headers w/ high flow cats and I don't want to ruin them or the engine for that matter.

So I wanted to see what the experience was here and what your thoughts are... If I did use the ghost cam, it would be on the lowest setting. Thanks !

I too am curious as to the damage the ghost cam does...
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
mc_acoustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #3
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
I have never heard of it causing actual damage but just about everyone I know that has had it has had misfires happen.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #4
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by menendez1293 View Post
I have never heard of it causing actual damage but just about everyone I know that has had it has had misfires happen.

I have had it on since march, every day daily drive never turn it off.... No misfire CEL.
2010 Camaro Synergy Green Edition V6/A6: Cold Air Inductions Intake, Trifecta tune, BBK long tube headers and Hi flow cats, MRT V1, Ported Throttle Body, Stage 4 Ported Intake Manifold (MACE), Black Ice-olator Intake Manifold Spacer, Plenum Spacer, Nytrex Triple Threat Nitrous.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
redlich23

Thanks for the responses guys!

MC_ACOUSTIC - What setting are you running on, low medium or high?
Old 09-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Decepticon21

Drives: 2010 Camaro v6
I'm scared myself also. It seems like it would damage something.
Decepticon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
I have had it on since march, every day daily drive never turn it off.... No misfire CEL.
I have a feeling that's where my misfire CEL is coming from. I will keep you posted.

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_acoustic View Post
Well I don't have it but am just saying what a few have told me before. I personally don't like it. Just the principle on how it works scares me.
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #9
Decepticon21

It retards the timing to give it the (Lope Sound) correct?
Old 09-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
I believe what it's doing is increasing valve overlap to the amount of valve overlap present at idle.

This shouldn't hurt anything. Might cause a stall if the RPM drops too much. Key here, is that ghost cam is only available on engines with VVT.
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
When i had the GC option it was cool. Was on the mild setting and sounded sweet, until...

It started misfiring, car would barely go and had to stop into a parking lot to just clear the codes and turn off the option...This happened a few times before i finally took the whole tune off my car thankfully.

Another bad experience was when leaving the track the GC *all by itself* went from the Mild setting to Aggressive... Made my car stall and when it didnt stall didnt seem drivable...

IMO i would not suggest this option to anyone just bc of my experience... but if it works fine for you op then
Old 09-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Decepticon21

I never had it throw a CEL, I did have it stall a time or two but no big deal on that end. It did sound amazing.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #13
mc_acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlich23 View Post
Thanks for the responses guys!

MC_ACOUSTIC - What setting are you running on, low medium or high?
High ghost cam or Agressive??? its the one that shakes the hell outta the car...
Old 09-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #14
redlich23

LOL yeah that's the one. I am afraid to put that setting on. Car sounds like its ready to shake to pieces. I put it on the lowest setting. Still sounds good. Going to try it for awhile.