Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

ADM PERFORMANCE
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #1
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Meguiars DA Power System?

I did a search to see if anyone had asked about this on the forum, and there was one other guy that asked about it several months ago. The thread wasn't very informative, I'm thinking because the system was just out at that time. So, I wanted to see if any of you guys had any hands-on experience with the Meguiars DA Power System, and if it was worth the purchase.

I have some finish swirls that were there from the previous owner, and I tried removing them by hand with Meguiars Swirl X, but that didn't help much at all. I would consider my paint swirls on the "moderate" side. A little more than light, but not quite extreme. You still have to get it in the right light to see them, but if you get it at that right angle, they look pretty bad. Enough to bug the crap out of me anyway.

I'm thinking the power of this drill mounted system would be enough to take care of my problem, but I would love to hear any educated opinions on the system.

Here's a link to the product:

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=35621

Thanks, as always!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Brandon_Lutz

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange 1SS/RS
If you are looking for a polisher and can't afford something like a Porter Cable, I recommend this for the same price (and its an actual DA Polisher): http://www.harborfreight.com/6-varia...her-69924.html

Now I'm not the type to usually recommend anything from Harbor Freight, but I have a couple of friends who have these and they love them.

Again if you are on a tight budget it's something to think about. I would avoid that drill based system. The pad area is small and I would imagine holding a drill attached to that system would be awkward after a while.

At least with the HF DA polisher you can use regular pads such as Adams, Chemical Guys, LC, etc..
Brandon_Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #3
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS
Stay away from the drill adapters if you don't have any polishing experience. It's too easy to hologram up your paint. You won't even notice it until you see it in the sunlight for the first time and then you'll kick yourself.

Guy at work was all proud of the work he did with his and asked me to critique his work. I suggested we did it after work when I knew the sun would be hitting the spots I had already seen. After he saw the holograms he was then asking what to do to fix it.

PC7424 is your best bet and is pretty much foolproof.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Stay away from the drill adapters if you don't have any polishing experience. It's too easy to hologram up your paint. You won't even notice it until you see it in the sunlight for the first time and then you'll kick yourself.

Guy at work was all proud of the work he did with his and asked me to critique his work. I suggested we did it after work when I knew the sun would be hitting the spots I had already seen. After he saw the holograms he was then asking what to do to fix it.

PC7424 is your best bet and is pretty much foolproof.
True and not true.

If it was a fixed access rotation thing like our focus pads holograming is a very real issue. That megs device actually translates the rotational movement of the drill to an orbital movement.

I grabbed one of these to play with shortly after they showed up in the market and while its far from ideal for polishing any sizable areas or a full car IMO, its very clever.

Not terribly comfortable to work with for more than a couple of minutes at a time, but still a pretty clever little piece of design.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
AzItaliaSS

Drives: 2010 2ss RJT LS3
I would not use the HF Da polisher, I purchased this and was displeased with the clunky uneven spin and weight of this machine. Not anywhere near the same control or eveness of the Porter cable. I returned it after doing the hood of my jeep.
VARARAM, SWSP 1 7/8 LT'S,X-PIPE,CAT DELETE,DYNOMAX RACE BULLETTS, LSR SHORT SHIFTER ,CUSTOM BLACK EMBLEMS,MPD1 SPOILER, HP TUNE BY GEARHEAD GARAGE, INTERIOR ABL LIGHTING, CUSTOM STRIPING BY BEAVER STRIPES, EIBACHS
AzItaliaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Just searching around you can get a PC7424 on Amazon for about $125. To me that price difference between it and the Meguiars piece make it a no brainer to get into the polisher game.

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7...+cable+7424+xp

I would like the Adams Flex unit but I don't have enough need for a polisher to justify the cash outlay. All I would need is something to get me out of the occasional finish jam. After seeing the videos though I'm convinced the Flex is a better machine.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3 Victory Red
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
True and not true.

If it was a fixed access rotation thing like our focus pads holograming is a very real issue. That megs device actually translates the rotational movement of the drill to an orbital movement.

I grabbed one of these to play with shortly after they showed up in the market and while its far from ideal for polishing any sizable areas or a full car IMO, its very clever.

Not terribly comfortable to work with for more than a couple of minutes at a time, but still a pretty clever little piece of design.
Thanks to everybody for the advice. And thanks, Dylan for the hands-on review. I've read several reviews from people that said it was a little tough to handle for a long period of time. But I've hand compounded cars many times, and that takes forever. I can't see it possibly being any more taxing on the hands than that. But I'd like to at least give it a shot. The "selling point" for me with it is the fact that it's pretty hard to screw up your paint with it. I do finish work on guitars [I repair guitars for a living], and buffing those finishes is very similar to a car finish. I definitely feel like I'd have way more experience than the average Joe with any kind of buffer, polisher or sander. But I'd like to try this product just to be on the safe side. I'm not used to working with any kind of buffer on a metal finish.

Dylan, in your professional opinion, is the Meguiars product at least strong enough to get out some moderate paint swirls? That would be the entire reason why I'd buy it. I don't need it to apply waxes or anything. I prefer doing that by hand anyway.

Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 09-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamEL View Post
Thanks to everybody for the advice. And thanks, Dylan for the hands-on review. I've read several reviews from people that said it was a little tough to handle for a long period of time. But I've hand compounded cars many times, and that takes forever. I can't see it possibly being any more taxing on the hands than that. But I'd like to at least give it a shot. The "selling point" for me with it is the fact that it's pretty hard to screw up your paint with it. I do finish work on guitars [I repair guitars for a living], and buffing those finishes is very similar to a car finish. I definitely feel like I'd have way more experience than the average Joe with any kind of buffer, polisher or sander. But I'd like to try this product just to be on the safe side. I'm not used to working with any kind of buffer on a metal finish.

Dylan, in your professional opinion, is the Meguiars product at least strong enough to get out some moderate paint swirls? That would be the entire reason why I'd buy it. I don't need it to apply waxes or anything. I prefer doing that by hand anyway.

Thanks so much for the advice!
A good dual action machine is very safe. You really have to work hard to screw up your paint with one. The Griots 6in and PC 7424 are the more common DA's around here. Both are extremely safe and work extremely well. They will correct anything that's correctable. There are other options that will correct faster and easier but for someone that will only use it a couple times a year, it's hard to beat the price of the two I mentioned. You also need to have some good products to use.

For the record, many of us prefer to apply our wax by hand. With the better blends we have these days, wax goes on and off extremely easy.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote