Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Vitesse Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #26
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,552
There more to aero than lift, like the drag coefficient. And some lift on a daily driver will improve mileage, both of which are critical for the highway mileage rating. Just because you don't know anything about designing a car doesn't mean GM didn't know what they were doing and didn't design it correctly for its intended purpose.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
There more to aero than lift, like the drag coefficient. And some lift on a daily driver will improve mileage, both of which are critical for the highway mileage rating. Just because you don't know anything about designing a car doesn't mean GM didn't know what they were doing and didn't design it correctly for its intended purpose.
Got ya. I didn't realize I was talking to an automotive designer. I appologize.

How do you explain the rear "diffuser" that acts as a sail?

Actually never mind....I don't feel like debating this with you anymore. Boredom has take over.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #28
White_SS/RS

 
White_SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
ooh awesome a link to a thread with a link to a video that doesn't work. Thanks for that.

Look. They put it in the wind tunnel. I get that. And admitted that earlier...but if it's an LS or SS it generates lift. You don't need "hundreds of hours in here wind tunnel" to generate the opposite of what you want in a performance car. Me personally...I would like some downforce...
Simple, put a splitter, a hood extractor and a spoiler on it and 'bam!' downforce!!

This stuff works plain and simple... hard part is balancing where the donforce is where its needed and how much is needed. That is where wind tunnel testing really comes in handy, and its what they've done. I could simply add the z28 splitter, spoiler and wheel deflectors to my '14 and it will behave in the air just the same as the z28.
__________________
Fueled by recycled dinosaurs! Go Green!
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #29
Denis


 
Denis's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 6,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
Simple, put a splitter, a hood extractor and a spoiler on it and 'bam!' downforce!!

This stuff works plain and simple... hard part is balancing where the donforce is where its needed and how much is needed. That is where wind tunnel testing really comes in handy, and its what they've done. I could simply add the z28 splitter, spoiler and wheel deflectors to my '14 and it will behave in the air just the same as the z28.
Weird....those are the exact things that I've done. Lol

And I'm not denying that the ZL1 and Z/28 have undergone performance enhancements due to the wind tunnel. I'm saying that the SS and the like have not.
__________________
Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: overseas
Posts: 3,552
Gotcha. Didn't realize I was leading a horse to water that didn't want to drink.

They designed mufflers in the wind tunnel that directed air around it and reduced the drag effect. Ya'll have a nice day now, I'm done with this thread as I've made my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We do not suggest you remove the OE mufflers because they are part of the under car OE aero engineering. The shape of the mufflers flow air past the rear fascia. The OE mufflers prevent the rear fascia from becoming your drogue chute, they reduce drag at high speeds.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #31
White_SS/RS

 
White_SS/RS's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
.

How do you explain the rear "diffuser" that acts as a sail?
The area under the trunk and diffuser would behave much the same as the bed of a pickup. It creates a pocket of tumbling air. The air that is traveling under the car would flow over this pocket and up the back (outside) of the car. And before itís said, lowering the tailgate for improved aerodynamics isnít beneficial itís actually worse.

So its not a sail... it straightens the air and reduces drag.
__________________
Fueled by recycled dinosaurs! Go Green!
White_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #32
2SS45th


 
2SS45th's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 2,804
Apparently you don't drag race diesels, tailgates off or down for the strip.
__________________
I Ain't About That Stock Life.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #33
BluePhoenix

 
BluePhoenix's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Rally Yellow/Blk
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 1,527
I heard one guy post a thread on another site saying that the 5th gen Camaro rear diffuser is a "parachute" and so he hacked off the entire exhaust tip to exhaust tip portion of the rear diffuser.

2SS45th - That is one nice & clean looking 45th anniversary edition.
__________________


BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #34
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
I heard one guy post a thread on another site saying that the 5th gen Camaro rear diffuser is a "parachute" and so he hacked off the entire exhaust tip to exhaust tip portion of the rear diffuser.

2SS45th - That is one nice & clean looking 45th anniversary edition.

I'm pretty sure there was some kind of reason we the rear DIFFUSER is the way it is. GM didn't do it like that without some kind of thought.

I hate it when somebody thinks they are smarter than the engineer with basically limitless resources...

Didn't GMs pen like some Ungodly amount of money developing the Fifth Gen?
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #35
toNspahreP
Account Suspended
 
Drives: SS
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: jawja
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
I heard one guy post a thread on another site saying that the 5th gen Camaro rear diffuser is a "parachute" and so he hacked off the entire exhaust tip to exhaust tip portion of the rear diffuser.

2SS45th - That is one nice & clean looking 45th anniversary edition.

It was cut because without exhaust cans back there, it IS a parachute.
toNspahreP is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.