Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Classic Design Concepts
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes

V8 Bolt-Ons & Tunes Intake, exhaust, tunes, other bolt-ons.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 06-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Direct comparison: Retro Chambered cat back only

Retro Chambered cat back with 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats

Old 08-19-2013, 03:11 AM   #27
Klepton

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, LS3, SW w/ IOM package
So this system has no drone on its own. How about when you add LT Headers and Hi-flow cats?
Klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
Apex Motorsports

Stainless Works Retro Chambered cat back has zero drone. Add headers and you will hear more sound in the cabin due to dropping the thick cast manifolds and going to thin wall tubing but it is not resonance (aka: drone). You can still carry on a conversation without raising your voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
I have the entire SW's system and LOVE IT. NO DRONE at ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 376 View Post
I have the S-Turbo catback. That is their most aggro system. No drone, NONE. Pure music. Many, many compliments. IMO it has all the other popular systems (Borla, Corsa and whatnot) beat hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SScamaro2010 View Post
Im pretty happy with my Stainless Works retro chambered. I have never experienced any drone with it and it sounds awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C5RaCefReaK View Post

The system sound is awesome and has no drone. I couldn't be happier. The power difference is great. Do not regret this at all.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #29
Klepton

I just ordered the Stainless Works ZL1 Dual Chambered cat back exhaust system. Thanks Chase & Victoria for your awesome customer service!
Old 08-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #30
Warpaint69

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klepton View Post
I just ordered the Stainless Works ZL1 Dual Chambered cat back exhaust system. Thanks Chase & Victoria for your awesome customer service!
You're going to love it. First time I fired up my car after installing the exhaust I had a smile that went from ear to ear.
Warpaint69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #31
Apex Motorsports

Thanks for your order Klepton!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #32
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
I ordered the stainless retro chambered catback for my SS earlier this week and got it today. I ordered a catch can a day earlier and got it fast too, which is one of the reasons I love dealing with Apex. Another reason is the price drop I got on this system. Was thinking of going to another company who had it ~$100 less. Apex is so active in this forum that I decided it was better to go with a company lots of people trust and that I already have a relationship with. To my surprise when I added it to my cart, I got a message stating I got some sort of discount which brought it to the price of the competitor.

Took a half day off work today and installed it. I have never tried exhaust before, so I took my time which took about 3 hours from the time I got out the ramps and jack stands to the time I finished and cleaned up my mess.

These things sound so good. My car performed like a lion, but had a kitten's meow. Now it has the roar to match it's performance.

I'm in my late 30's and didn't want something so loud that it was annoying to others. I am happy to say this fits the bill with the muscle car sound, but not too loud that it's annoying. Haven't had a chance to drive over 50 yet, but will be on a 45 minute trip at highway speeds, so this should be a good chance to fully test it out.

I did run into some issues installing, but I made it through OK in the end.

1. Not sure if it was Apex or Stainless, but someone wrote on the parts which was helpful except for the way they designated sides. They used left/right instead of drivers/passenger. Left right is relative on if you are standing in front or behind it, while driver side is the same regardless of where you are standing. I assumed the directions were as if you were sitting in the car, so I went with that.

2. My stock exhaust was one piece, so it's shape was constant. This kit has multiple pieces you put together, so it's easy to get them twisted to far in one direction making them hang down to low. My solution was to put a floor jack with a 2x4 pirce on top under the X part of the exhaust and lift it into place. I then loosened the 15mm bolts where needed to rotate the pieces to make them fit in place better.

3. Instructions mention using a high temp RTV in the fittings. Considering the price, it wouldn't have killed Stainless to put some in the box. I didn't have any, so I did the install without it. In all the various catback install videos, I didn't see mention of this, so I figure it will be ok. I tightened the clamps good, so I should be fine.

4. Stainless instructions were very brief about removing the old system and installing the new one. I found a great of instructions on removal HERE which really helped a lot. Although they used a different brand to install, the instructions and pictures were good enough to supplement the Stainless manual.

5. One of the elbows pipes in the set was several inches shorter than the other. Kind of surprised me this wasn't caught. However, there is a quite a bit of overlap in all the pieces, so I was able to make it up, so the end product was the right length.

In the end, I like doing things like this and saving some money. However, I really enjoy trying something new and getting that experience.

One thing I am curious about is what all of you did with the stock exhaust. It's one long and heavy piece that I am storing in my garage for now. For those of you that did this at a shop, how did you get the stock one back home? I assume it would need to be cut up or something.
2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint

Last edited by SSteven; 09-27-2013 at 08:50 PM.
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #33
Klepton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpaint69 View Post
You're going to love it. First time I fired up my car after installing the exhaust I had a smile that went from ear to ear.
You're right, the first time I fired it up after the install I loved the sound! I only have the following crappy phone videos:

Initial startup after install:

Recorded from within a truck following the car (Acceleration1 = windows down; Acceleration2,3 = windows up):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
Thanks for your order Klepton!
You're welcome!
Old 10-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #34
Apex Motorsports

Sounds awesome!

Old 11-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #35
Macina

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT AGM
Cant wait to get my hands on the one I ordered this weekend. Thanks Apex! Excellent customer service, a whole bunch of companys here in Sweden could learn quite a bit from you!
Mods: OBX 1.7/8" LT headers, No cats, SW retro chambered cat back, CAI inc cai, JRE Scoop, roto-fab wb relo kit, RX catch can, Vmax ported TB, 1LE steering wheel, 1LE shift knob/boot, SCT tuner, Anthracite plasti dipped wheels, Apex/Pfadt 1.25" lowering springs.
Macina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #36
Apex Motorsports

Thank you for your order.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 AM   #37
Apex Motorsports

Another video from a happy customer!

Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #38
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
Ordered this system earlier with a Cold Air Inductions CAI from Apex and finally went over to Stainless Works this morning and had them put it on for me.

I have to say, I've driven on this system for 100-150 miles and I absolutely love the sound! Can't wait to get headers, but that's a later date... Expect a video sometime this summer when I have some free time .

There is no drone, sounds awesome from idle to slow acceleration and quick acceleration to cruising in 5th or 6th gear.

Also installed my CAI today, it was a quick and fairly easy install. Took me longer to try and find my 10 mm deep well socket then it did to install lol!

Victoria is awesome to deal with at Apex and the guys at Stainless Works also offer excellent customer service!
Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM   #39
Apex Motorsports

Glad that you are happy with it Green Machine. Thank you for your order and for posting your feedback.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:48 PM   #40
mgf7097

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
Ordered my exhaust back in March and got it within a few days along with a Apex catch can. Very satisfied with the price and speed to get my order.

The exhaust was not too difficult to install. Most of the time was spent trying to get the exhaust positioned correctly so the tips were centered. Stainless Works seemed to make this kit modular so they could mix and match tubes easily (and probably makes the box smaller to ship). This means there are a lot of pieces to connect together. The brackets and very study and hold the pipes together well.

One tip I have is to listen to the instuctions when it says to loosen the cat to manifold connection. I didn't do this during my install. I ended up having some rattling after a day which turned out to be from hitting the tunnel brace. The following weekend I went back and readjusted the exhaust and loosened the cat to manifold connection. This made adjusting the exhaust MUCH easier and I was able to put it further up in the tunnel which got rid of all rattle I had. Sounds very nice now and works great.

I made a quick video comparing the stock exhaust to this one.

mgf7097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #41
Apex Motorsports

Sounds great! Thank you for your order and...

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #42
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2014 1SS 1LE
If anyone is thinkin about getting this exhaust... a perfect combination for it are SW long tube headers.

Just installed headers this past weekend and the car sounds mean! The extra power is very nice too .

Sent from somewhere on the road.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #43
Apex Motorsports

Glad to know you are loving it Green Machine!
Old 08-16-2014, 06:18 PM   #44
SSteven

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS - L99
I bought this before and recently added stainless power 1 7/8 headers and hf cats and its really loud. What do you guys suggest to tone it down a bit? Was thinking of the stainless chambered turbo mufflers.
2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:31 PM   #45
JAX CAMARO

Drives: orange 2011 2SS/RS
To me this is what a muscle car should sound like, crank it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=1TEz3Q_3xwg
ARH 1 7/8" Headers W/HFC, GM Performance Exhaust / K&N Typhoon CAI, Comp Custom Grind Dominator 3 Cam, Pioneer Dual Valve Springs, Trickflow Push rods, IWIS Timing Chain, Rapid Motorsports Tune, 496 RWHP
JAX CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #46
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSteven View Post
I bought this before and recently added stainless power 1 7/8 headers and hf cats and its really loud. What do you guys suggest to tone it down a bit? Was thinking of the stainless chambered turbo mufflers.
PM replied to.

Tags
apex motorsports, cat back, exhaust, retro chambered, stainless works