Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SMGSS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Sponsors Classifieds Marketplace > ZL1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

ZL1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons For all ZL1 engine, exhaust, and bolt-on related parts.

View our official forum sponsors list.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Talking APEX Motorsports ZL1 Catch Can

Apex Motorsports ZL1 Catch Can: $189.99 SHIPPED!!!

For a limited time only the Apex Motorsports ZL1 / Camaro SS Catch Can will be shipped with the optional 6061 T6 aluminum alloy Push Lock fittings and -an adapters. These upgraded fittings are a $28 optional upgrade that you will receive for FREE!

Modern engines feature a variety of emission control devices and systems to reduce the toxic gases released into the atmosphere. One of these is called the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system. During the combustion process a small amount of gases leak or "blow-by" the piston rings and create a positive pressure in the crankcase. This gas is made up of all kinds of nasty stuff like unburnt fuel, oil, water, carbon particles, and even sulfuric acid. The PCV system vents these gases from the crankcase and routes it back into the intake manifold so it can be burned off. The problem is that over time the excess oil vapor collects along the inside of the intake tract and forms carbon build up. Some gasoline commercials refer to it as "gunk". This can lead to a variety of issues including retarded timing, detonation, reduced fuel economy, and power loss.

Three Stage Design

The Apex Motorsports Catch Can features a proprietary 3 stage design that condenses and collects these substances before it has a chance to reach the intake system.

The first stage is the filtration chamber. It, like the rest of the system, is designed so that the vapor has to pass through it's entire length. There are no bypasses or "tubes" that allow the vapor to skip most of the filtration media. The Apex Motorsports Catch Can is unique in that it is designed so that there is a temperature differential created in this chamber. Because of this the vapors are not only slowed down and subjected to the filter media in this chamber, but the cooler temperature also promotes droplet formation.

The second stage is a transition zone that is encountered as the vapors exit the filtration chamber. The filtration chamber is designed so the vapors are evenly distributed as they travel through it and as they reach the bottom they exit through a mechanism very similar to a shower head. However, at the exit this "shower head" creates a great deal of turbulence to again promote droplet formation.

In the third stage the turbulent gases enter a very narrow passage (approximately 5mm) to travel back towards the top of the can where the outlet are. In this section the gases are forced to constantly be in contact with two large surface areas, one cooler and the other warmer, to promote condensation of any substances that may still be in suspension.

Apex Catch Can Features

The Apex Motorsports Catch Can has a couple very unique features that set it apart from all other systems. If you wish to clean your Apex Motorsports Catch Can it can be completely disassembled and the filter media can be replaced. This ensure a longer service life that other catch cans. The most interesting feature of our catch can is that it has three outlet ports so it can be configured however you need it. All hardware needed for a single outlet install is included and the option to add an extra outlet fitting for FI applications that require dual outlets is available. Hex head plugs are included to cap off outlets not in use.
  1. Can and bracket machined from 6062 billet aluminum
  2. Three outlet ports for application specific configuring
  3. Collected oil easily discarded by removing the threaded bottom of the can
  4. Tough and beautiful anodized finish
  5. All hardware and 3/8" hose included
  6. 100% Made In The USA
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
2011Black2SS

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Great catch can. My car was the test mule for the can and I love it. Blends right in with the engine bay and allows me to run the hose whichever direction I want. This is a well built catch can and I am glad I had the chance to be the first one to have this on my car. High quality and it has a screw off bottom to give easy access to empty it, but if you want to take the can out of the car, just unhook the quick connect fitting and it is out in less then a minute.
2013 Black/Black ZL1 M6 #3937
1996 Red Z28 383 M6 - 10.741 @ 130.51 MPH

2011 Black/Black 2SS/RS LS3 M6 - Sold 3/2/2013
2002 White Silverado Z71 - Sold
2011Black2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Thanks for your assistance and feedback Jeremy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroNewb View Post
+1 for Chase. I bought these form him like 2 weeks ago and they were at my door so fast that I couldn't figure out what they were until I opened the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious View Post
Ordered mine on Friday had it Monday. Ordered a washer relocation tank Wednesday. Had it on Friday. Just like a Camaro, fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzzeler View Post
I would have to agree Apex for sure really fast shipping these guys are on the ball ,give them a shot you cant go wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester0612 View Post
And I just wanted to give a big thanks to Apex Motorsports for the great service. Ordered this CAI on Wednesday in the afternoon around 1 and I got it on Friday !! Thanks Apex !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBobGuptaMarley View Post
So I ordered Friday night. Order went through on Monday, intake was installed Wednesday after I got of work. Shipping was fast and free and that's why I love ordering from Apex!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andys562 View Post
Just got the springs in today! Planning on getting them installed a little later today or tomorrow.

But wow! Apex ships FAST. I did NOT expect the springs to be on my doorstep today and what do you know, they're right there.
Big ups to Apex for the lightning fast shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark5thGenGirl View Post
First of all I want to give a big thank you to Chase and Victoria from Apex Speed. I needed this part on Friday and I ordered it Wednesday; they called me personally to handle my request and got it to me really fast. They were great to work with and I really appreciate the awesome customer service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangomr View Post
After the questions I put up on Sunday aabout these two units, here they sit in my living room on Wed. 4PM, ordered and delivered, thats FAST and they both look great. Thanks Chase for the PRICE and GREAT SERVICE. Michael in Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfm237 View Post
Ordered the SW Retro Chambered exhaust and Black CAI on Monday.. The Exhaust arrived on Wednesday and the CAI on thursday... Thats to New Jersey.. A+++ To Apex for their quick shipping!
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Muscle View Post
apex chase, Hurst shifter got delivered today, took only 2 days to get to CT!! Going to install it tonight, thanks for the fast service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boricat View Post
Unbelievable!!
Ordered on 5/28 on the doorstep 5/29!!

Thanks again,
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritcherc View Post
I sent Chase a couple of emails, told him what I wanted and a few days later it was on my doorstep. Chase and Apex have been a pleasure to deal with and I couldn't be happier in my decision to do business with them. Great product support, easy to get ahold of and fast shipping!!!! Two thumbs up in my book! Thanks, Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack's Girl View Post
Thank you so much Chase! Ordered my CAI intake Sunday, shipped Monday and got it yesterday and installed! Great service! Love the performance! 1000% satisfied!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrrod6410 View Post
Ordered mine Friday afternoon and got it Tuesday morning......WOW

Now I'm off to install it
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS CAMARO View Post
Talk about fast shipping I got 1 day after you shipped it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBOSS View Post
Chase I am truly impressed! Ordered my Pfadt drop springs Sunday night and got them early Wednesday morning! A truly unexpected delivery which made my day!

Now to find a time to throw them on!

Thanks again, I am VERY impressed!!

How Do We Do It?

From the beginning, our operation was set up to function as rapidly and efficiently as possible. Most of our order processing system is automated which means that an order can be completely processed and ready for pick up within minutes of the order being placed. Unlike many of our competitors, APEX Motorsports is a stocking distributor for most of the brands we carry and not a dedicated drop shipper. This allows us to ship in stock items the same day or next if the order is received after our last pick up. In the event that an item is out of stock, APEX Motorsports has access to multiple extensive distributor networks and can draw on the inventories of dozens of regional warehouses across the country and ship the item from the warehouse closest to you.

APEX Motorsports has another key advantage over our competition. Our physical location. Like Amazon, Zappos, and many other major shippers APEX Motorsports is located in Louisville, Ky. which places us within 600 miles of more than 60% of the United States population. It also places us only a few miles from the UPS World Hub. That means that once your order leaves our loading dock it doesn't have to travel 1-2 days to be processed before being directed to your address. It is done within hours of the order being placed and is on it's way to your door, more than 60% of which aren't very far down the road.

Below is a map displaying the estimated delivery times for orders shipped from APEX Motorsports.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
2011Black2SS

So after 233 miles with the catch can on, below what was in the can when I check it this afternoon.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Can't wait for mine to show up.

Are these coming with hose routing instructions?
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
2011Black2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
Can't wait for mine to show up.

Are these coming with hose routing instructions?
There are detail instructions on their website here.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
Saw that after I posted.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Can we purchase just the bracket?

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Apex Motorsports

We are not going to be selling the bracket separately, at least for the time being. We did not anticipate that people would want to buy just the bracket so we didn't make extra on the first production run.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
I have the 1LE "catch can" will I need to remove it to install this?
Sorry for the question but I am not very familiar with the LS3 engine.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #11
Apex Motorsports

No you will not have to remove it. In fact, running both is the optimal solution.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Camaro_Corvette
36.833283,-76.021958

Drives: Team 1LE
Looks like another great product from Apex Do you guys have a store I can visit next time I'm in Louisville? I'll be in Louisville end of the month.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
Apex Motorsports

Thanks! Love to have you stop by. PM sent.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
2011Black2SS

Braided lines installed!!! Like the look much better. Thanks Chase!
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
OVERPAR73
2013 CRT ZL1 convertible

Drives: 2013 ZL1 vert
Chase,
i talked to you about buying just the bracket but now that I see the new catch can with the black braided hoses, this is exactly what I want. I will be placing an order, thanks.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #16
Apex Motorsports

Awesome! Thanks for your order.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #17
Apex Motorsports

The results speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Well just emptied mine. Only on the car for about a week and a half now. I'd say she works better then the RX can I used to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmaro View Post
We cruised down to Somerset, KY for the powercruise which was about a 350 mile round trip, a portion of which had some uhh, spirited street driving. The catch can was bone dry prior to the cruise. This is a photo of the catch can later that night.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Chase - sent you an email about something I noticed on your site while I was window shopping
Old 03-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
Apex Motorsports

For those of you following Project G5R, the Moreno's have chosen to go with the Apex Motorsports Catch Can. As with everything else in their build, the install was customized. Check out the latest update below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post

Got it, sorry for the delayed reply..... crazy busy weekend.

Quick update: We worked on where to mount the PS, overflow, and catch can today. All this stuff takes a tremendous amount of thinking time as there is no such thing as bolt on. Seth took on the task of mounting the Apex catch can and did a great job. BTW, I have to say the Apex can is Top Shelf! The quality (fit and finish) are bar none. Since our radiator is mounted via the crash support bar, we welded in the holes where you mount the catch can, so instead, we mounted the can straight to the engine block.

You can see in this picture how the bracket was meant to bolt onto the catch can.

Attachment 579789

In order to mount it to the block Seth had to modify the bracket. He started by making a template.

Next came cutting off the mounting tab.

He then trimmed the tab to make it more of a spacer. Kinda hard to grasp the reasoning unless you had a can in front of you to see why he did this.

To extend the lower portion of the bracket, he used a piece of aluminum from an angle iron we had laying around.

There's a few steps missing because he forgot to take pictures, LOL. This is a proto-type as the final product will be welded on, metal finished, and powder coated in anthracite.

In the meantime, here are a few preliminary pictures.

BTW, we know the hoses are not mounted correctly.

For anybody who would want to mount the can in this location, it would be very simple. We just used the same bolt that holds your AC bracket. Obviously, you would want to relocate your negative battery cable to the drivers side and the EVAC under the fuse box. I think we should come out with a kit as we get so many PM's asking the same questions.
Here is a shot once the engine was back in the car.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #20
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Just placed my order after speaking with Victoria.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #21
Apex Motorsports

Thank you for your order. Be sure to let us know what you think.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #22
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Received and installed, this is one stout catch can for sure. Thanks Apex.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:34 PM   #23
Shrek

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Just ordered, can't wait

Coming soon
ATI Super Damper with 10% overdrive supercharger pulley and a tune from JRE
Shrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #24
cdjnight

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Ordered a ported throttle body and used my core charge to get a catch can, all of the above was top notch. Tell Victoria thanx for the email updates too!

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 04-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #25
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

After less than 1 week and this is what today's result are after a few times of spirited driving during the past week since the install. :eye bulge:
Attached Images

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 04-04-2014 at 04:59 PM.
RLHMARINES is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air oil separator, apex motorsports, best catch can, catch can