Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions External and Internal cosmetics modifications.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
jrast362
 
Drives: 2013 rs camaro 2lt
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 8
Trying to add some interior lights

So I got this interior lighting kit and it looks great and all. The only problem is that the instructions want me to wire up to the ignition. This would mean the lights will be on when ever the lights are on. I want them to come on when the head lights come on but i cant seem to find a wiring schematic of the head light control nob anywhere.
jrast362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrast362 View Post
So I got this interior lighting kit and it looks great and all. The only problem is that the instructions want me to wire up to the ignition. This would mean the lights will be on when ever the lights are on. I want them to come on when the head lights come on but i cant seem to find a wiring schematic of the head light control nob anywhere.
The wires you want are under the dash...there is a diy here just search for footwell lighting install. Its very easy.


http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...otwell+install
Attached Images
   
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #3
jrast362
 
Drives: 2013 rs camaro 2lt
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 8
Those instructions are great and all but with that setup they will be on all the time. I want to get it so they come on when the headlights are on. I was thinking to tap in to it from the headlight control knob housing but there are so many wires i dont know which is the right one.
jrast362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrast362 View Post
Those instructions are great and all but with that setup they will be on all the time. I want to get it so they come on when the headlights are on. I was thinking to tap in to it from the headlight control knob housing but there are so many wires i dont know which is the right one.
No...with this set up it only comes on when the abl is supposed to come on. I have had this set up for 2 years and it works fine. It will also come on with the dome switch.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
jrast362
 
Drives: 2013 rs camaro 2lt
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 8
That method sounds great but it is not what I want. would like to have them come on when the head lights are on automatically. To do this I want to wire into the headlight control knob.
jrast362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks
 
The Stig's Avatar
 
Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The HMS Invincible
Posts: 26,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrast362 View Post
That method sounds great but it is not what I want. would like to have them come on when the head lights are on automatically. To do this I want to wire into the headlight control knob.
Your ABL turns on when the headlights come on. Wiring it up as the previous poster explained will get you the end result you want.
__________________
Click to view my build thread
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's
 
mat300z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: P.C.B. Florida
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Your ABL turns on when the headlights come on. Wiring it up as the previous poster explained will get you the end result you want.


Trust me Stig knows what he's talking about but don't take our word for it...go ahead and tear your car up.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
interior accessories, light control knob, lights, wiring help

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.