Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Flowmaster Exhaust
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Old 10-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
+1 And the 305 tires upfront.... just food for thought.....
ADM - 434 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 3.23 rear diff. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1200's. ADM 2000hp fuel system, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, and radiator, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, braided brake and clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. New dyno numbers pending after turbo install.
jessrayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #27
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40years View Post
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.
I wonder if they were running the production tires during the run? If so, the driver has balls of steel to run that fast with those tires in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
I can live without AC; but I definitely need a complete sound system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.
If it indeed ran that fast on a dry track you think they would publish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
First of all, I'm sure this is not the only hot lap the Z28 has done on the ring. It is the fastest one that GM has recorded or they would have posted the other faster laps. It starts raining on the second carousel and from there comes one fast sweeper, a long uphill straight with a full throttle bend at the crest then a couple of decelerating corners before the finish line. Rain does not make much difference on the straight, that is why the best time the z28 posted has some rain after almost all of the major corners were done. I will admit that he struggles for grip on the last few corners after the straight he may give up 3 seconds there.

Now the ZL1 makes up time at the end not because it is raining but because it is an uphill straight and the ZL1 has 80 more HP. It has an 11 mph advantage almost the entire straight and that is a long straight, about 1.3 miles. It does the same against the Z06 (which has the same engine and trans) if you watch it's video. ZL1 does not gain because of rain but because of horsepower down a straight.

So I'm thinking the rain at the end is great for marketing, Z/28 does awesome time with rain on the track but in reality it didn't make much difference or they would have posted the faster dry lap. It's a great cornering car... no doubt. Horsepower always wins on the straights. I'm not totally on the Z28 bandwagon yet.
Agreed; but if they would drop in the ZL1 A6 trans and 1LE 3.90 rear gear I would definitely jump on that bandwagon; purists be damned.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #28
snackbar64

Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
C'mon we've known from the initial release AC is available.
Yes and the vehicle is still not in anyone's hands yet. I'd like to see who actually opts for the stripped down butt naked version of this car. I know I couldn't.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #29
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2013 ZL1
the ceramic brakes would be nice but I think the tires on the ZL1 would basically trim 3-4 seconds off of the ZL1 time. now if you believe the Z/28 left something out there based on the rain (Al says they believe they can get another 6 seconds off) that would put the Z/28 in at around 7:31. I think those same tires on the Zl1 would bring the ZL1 in around 7:36 or so. Bottomline, the Z/28 accomplished its mission of being the ultimate track Camaro but I think what it also did was confirm what an amazing job they did engineering the ZL1 in that it carries 300 more pounds, A/C, and MYLINK and if you put the Z/28 wheel/tire combo on it probably only gives away 5 seconds with same driver, same conditions. With all that said, I would love to own a Z/28 but could not justify selling my ZL1 to get one.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 PM   #30
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
It's the tires.
If you look at the twisty sections, the Z28 rips through about 10 mph faster with no tire squeal. watch the same section with the ZL1 and you will hear some super stressed out tires.

The Zl1 pulls 10 to 12 mph faster in long straight, but loses alot of time in quick tight turns.

Someone that tracks the ZL1 on here has said that the michelin pilot super sports give him 3 seconds faster times than the goodyear stock tires. And all of us that have pushed the zl1 know that out tires fail us way before the brakes and chasis do.

Put the same times on the Zl1, and watch it crush that Z28 lap time.
Poor z28 fan boys, so sad

I got banned form the Z28 forum for telling those "HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LOGICAL AND SOUND MINDED PEOPLE" that the z28 wouldnt do better than a 7:37. I love being right. They had dreams of 7:22's and beating the Z06, and no amount of logic or intelligent thinking could convince them otherwise. Finally, here is the track time for the dreamers to eat with their mouths full of foot.
Quote:
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 10-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #31
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

And to all the Anti ZL1 peeps, watch the z28 vid with sound, then watch the zl1 vid with sound, then the z28 again and take note of how many times you hear the tires squeal and note how many times the driver has to counter steer out of a corner. In the z28 vid - maybe 3 times. In the ZL1 vid, constantly. The mighty ZL1 was begging for stickier shoes. The Z28 got them.
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #32
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
The Z/28 is definitely a beast of a car but it's not worth the money (which is going to be north of 60K) to me when compared to my ZL1. I know me and I would enjoy it for about a month and then I would be b*tching about not having a radio and comparing the rough ride to the smooth ride in my Z. Having AC would be no question living in South Louisiana. The ZL1 crowd and Z/28 crowd are going to be as different as night and day IMO.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #33
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
It's the tires.

Its a little more complicated than that. If you watch my track videos I'm running the toyo R888 race/autocross tires and they are howling like mad in every corner because of the weight of the car when I'm driving them at the limit. I think the Z28 ended up using a Pirelli and it is a better tire than the Goodyear but the weight of the car magnifies tire grip trouble. If you could pull 300 lbs out of the ZL1 the cornering would be much better on whatever tire.
ADM - 434 ERL superdeck block. Trickflow 6 bolt heads, ADM cam, valves, springs. Heartbeat 2300 blower. RPM custom manual trans, RPS triple carbon clutch, 3.23 rear diff. LPE pulley upgrades, IDE1200's. ADM 2000hp fuel system, ADM trunk mount intercooler reservoir, Ron Davis heat ex, and radiator, LPE oil cooler, rear subframe bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock kit, braided brake and clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. New dyno numbers pending after turbo install.
jessrayo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #34
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Its a little more complicated than that. If you watch my track videos I'm running the toyo R888 race/autocross tires and they are howling like mad in every corner because of the weight of the car when I'm driving them at the limit. I think the Z28 ended up using a Pirelli and it is a better tire than the Goodyear but the weight of the car magnifies tire grip trouble. If you could pull 300 lbs out of the ZL1 the cornering would be much better on whatever tire.
That makes sense. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about the lower weight combined with the tires.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #35
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
That makes sense. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about the lower weight combined with the tires.
For sure. Wonder how much weight the brakes, rims tire combo and the rear window that they keep talking about would save on a ZL1. Heck the trunk in a Z28 is stripped and is bare metal without carpet. I would venture that a stripped ZL1 with the more aggressive tires would be closer but the ZL1 was not intended to be track only car. It is a full luxury street car that can be tracked. The Z28 is a full track car that can be driven on the street. That is a big difference.

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #36
Betiwin

Drives: CTS-V Coupe and GT500
Wow amazing time for the Z28. And in he rain at that! I can't believe a camaro is practically a 7:30 flat car. The sound of the LS7 makes the LSA pale in comparison. Congrats team camaro. Looking forward to VIR times.
Betiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:36 AM   #37
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraBall View Post

The ZL1 is the better daily driver. The Z28 seems like a pure track toy to me.

EXACTLY -- the new Z/28 has one purpose in life: "...to hunt down Mustangs and other performance cars on the track........"

The ZL1 is a much better daily driver.....the Z/28 is a track car........
Old 10-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #38
Bhobbs

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
It's the tires.
If you look at the twisty sections, the Z28 rips through about 10 mph faster with no tire squeal. watch the same section with the ZL1 and you will hear some super stressed out tires.

The Zl1 pulls 10 to 12 mph faster in long straight, but loses alot of time in quick tight turns.

Someone that tracks the ZL1 on here has said that the michelin pilot super sports give him 3 seconds faster times than the goodyear stock tires. And all of us that have pushed the zl1 know that out tires fail us way before the brakes and chasis do.

Put the same times on the Zl1, and watch it crush that Z28 lap time.
Poor z28 fan boys, so sad

I got banned form the Z28 forum for telling those "HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LOGICAL AND SOUND MINDED PEOPLE" that the z28 wouldnt do better than a 7:37. I love being right. They had dreams of 7:22's and beating the Z06, and no amount of logic or intelligent thinking could convince them otherwise. Finally, here is the track time for the dreamers to eat with their mouths full of foot.

Watch the ZL1 and Z/28 overlay video. The ONLY part of the track where the ZL1 out runs the Z/28 is on the long straight, where everyone and their mother knew it would. In the beginning, the Z/28 instantly started putting ground on the ZL1 and gained a huge margin. Al says they can get it down to 7:31.XX and I believe him. I doubt adding tires and brakes would shave 10 seconds off the ZL1 time.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #39
toyosuprablue

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
Quote:
This is exactly what I want to see
2013 Camaro ZL1 #1440 Black M6, Roto Fab CAI, Kooks LT, 9.55 Lower pulley, ID 850's, MSD BAP, Dual Pass HX
JRE Cam Package 652RWHP 613RWTQ
2012 Triumph Speed Triple, Muffler delete, tune
1982 Honda CB900F Cafe In Progress
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Fbodfather told me months ago that the Z/28 would shine on autocross. So I think with the gearing and what not they didn't expect it to absolutely blow away the ZL1 on Nurburgring, but it probably will on autocross or especially shorter tracks with more turns.

That being stated, nothing is cooler than a 427 Camaro. So if I could, I would add a Z/28 to my garage. But not replace my ZL1 with one.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:59 PM   #41
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
this is my thought exaclty ha ha.
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #42
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlkZL1 View Post
I'm not hating at all but I was expecting a lower time.. I'm very proud of the Chevy team and what they accomplished.. ...I was expecting very low 7:30's.. they need to do a re run in better weather.
...and I agree with you. It's an awesome ride.....no doubt, and quite an accomplishment. The video was riveting, albeit rain and all!. Having said that... officially being 4 seconds quicker than the ZL1 <with the rain caveat>, it would have done a bit better < 3 -4 seconds> as previously mentioned due to the slick track. However, IMHO this modest performance increase does not warrant a huge price increase over the ZL1. Just sayin....
Old 10-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-1822 View Post
Fbodfather told me months ago that the Z/28 would shine on autocross. So I think with the gearing and what not they didn't expect it to absolutely blow away the ZL1 on Nurburgring, but it probably will on autocross or especially shorter tracks with more turns.

That being stated, nothing is cooler than a 427 Camaro. So if I could, I would add a Z/28 to my garage. But not replace my ZL1 with one.
That'll be one of the more expensive autocross cars there.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:01 PM   #44
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
And same wheels / tires as Z/28 and that would make for interesting feedback.

Heck, they don't have to go back to the RING to test that theory , just do it at Milford, just take best time of Z/28 and put same wheels /tires / brakes on ZL1 and see the results...
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #45
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
EXACTLY -- the new Z/28 has one purpose in life: "...to hunt down Mustangs and other performance cars on the track........"

The ZL1 is a much better daily driver.....the Z/28 is a track car........
Scott, I believe you were the one that worded it to me at the fest saying "the Z/28 is a street legal race car with a warranty"
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #46
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
Well you know Its not like the dealers are not going to order some of them without AC in the lower hotter states like tx,la,&fla..its about 800 bucks or something to add ac to the thing I think maybe a grand.
its just a option..I would just check the box that adds AC and drive it,as far as a stereo its not a big deal to spend a grand and install one afterwards..
my biggest hick up about it is that the 6speed Auto is not a option,if the ZL1 can run at the track with paddles why couldnt the Z28 have it as a option..
just for those that dont know its not that i was not able to drive a stick before,but I have to use hand controls now and have no choice in the matter..
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #47
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
SO who is really going to man up on a Z28

YES there are going to be those of us that want to get a Z28 as their next car,and will get it as a second or third car,But who is really going to trade in a ZL1 or a ss you have spent money on making it your own
Just think of everything your giving up ?
AS per CHEVY:

We looked at every subsystem for opportunities to save weight,” said Oppenheiser. “Our goal was to get rid of everything that didn’t make the car faster, and keep only what was required by law. For example, we wanted to eliminate the audio system completely, but we had to keep a single speaker for the seat-belt chime to meet safety requirements.”
Examples of weight saving techniques include:
Eliminated the tire-inflator kit, except for Rhode Island and New Hampshire, where it is required by law
Removed interior sound deadener, and carpeting from the trunk
Replaced the standard LN4 battery with a smaller, lightweight, LN3 battery
Specified thinner, 3.2-mm glass for the rear window, compared to 3.5-mm glass on the standard Camaro
HID headlamps and foglights are not available
Air conditioning is only available as a stand-alone option
“The team was so fanatical about saving weight, we even stripped the unused wiring out of the harness when we eliminated the fog lights, speakers, and air conditioning,” said Oppenheiser. “Every ounce saved contributed to making this the most track-capable Camaro we have ever built, and a worthy successor to the Z/28 name.

Read more: http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevr...#ixzz2iHZ5hae9

just think of the pain in the butt its going to be to try to make it a good street car again,track car yes..but no HID ? no cool halo lights ?lol its a lot to give up ?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=346589 CHECK OUT THE BUILDING OF MY RANCH FOR DISABLED VETS, COMPLETE WITH A GUN RANGE &, PAINT BALL COURSE coming...garage for car shows,and a workout & rehab center hopfull
gen=5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #48
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
I think you're beating a dead horse here AIRBULL did the definitive thread on this. Really don't need to say anymore

Last edited by noah677; 10-20-2013 at 01:10 PM.
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #49
Bigtime53

Drives: 2013 SIM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah677 View Post
I think you're beating I had a dead horse here AIRBULL did the definitive thread on this. Really don't need to say anymore
Well I think he has a good question. All he is asking is if someone on this site who owns a ZL1 would actually trade for a Z28. I personally would like to drive one before I said yea or ney but I would probably say I would not trade. That being said I hope for your sake I did not beat the horse anymore!
Bigtime53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #50
noah677
Account Suspended

Drives: White Zl1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime53 View Post
Well I think he has a good question. All he is asking is if someone on this site who owns a ZL1 would actually trade for a Z28. I personally would like to drive one before I said yea or ney but I would probably say I would not trade. That being said I hope for your sake I did not beat the horse anymore!
SORRY--I really am. I did not mean it to sound as AHish as it does. So please accept my apologies
noah677 is offline   Reply With Quote