Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Gen5DIY
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #18
TripleBlkZL1
 
TripleBlkZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 ZL1, 15 Scat Pack,& 15 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.
I definitely believe that. Hopefully they will go back one day.
__________________
2013 M6 ZL1.. Mods- Roto-Fab CF Intake, Ported and Polish LS7 TB and Snout, 2.55" Upper Pulley, 100mm Idler Pulley, Solid Isolator, Afco Heat Exchanger with fans, ID850 fuel injectors, SW 2" LT Headers With High Flow Cats, and CMS 91 Octane tune.. 579.8rwhp and 537.4rwtq
TripleBlkZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,046
Very impressive run considering the damp tarmac. I'm just hoping that the future owners of this car actually take it to the track and drive it as intended! Don't make it a garage queen to brag about. I am very happy with my ZL1 that is a daily driver.
ZL1-V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #20
CobraBall
 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40years View Post
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.
A ZL1 maybe. It's only a 100 lbs lighter than a SS.

Quote:
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
The ZL1 is the better daily driver. The Z28 seems like a pure track toy to me.
CobraBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
littlecammi
 
littlecammi's Avatar
 
Drives: '87 Pontiac Fiero GT
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
Will someone post the video of the lap?
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.
littlecammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:23 PM   #22
Diode Dynamics

 
Diode Dynamics's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.
Sorry, I miss some of the threads here and there

Nick C.
__________________
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
It's posted in at least two threads in the Z/28 section here on Camaro5. There's the same Z/28 run video overlaid with video of the ZL1 run. While the Z/28 was only 3.8 seconds faster than the ZL1, they expect it to run another 6 seconds faster on a completely dry track. The overlaid videos prove that out, as the Z/28 builds up a lead of several seconds on the ZL1 in the first five minutes or so of the videos (judged by track position markers) but loses some of its time advantage to the ZL1 on the wet track after that point on the course. And they probably couldn't just stay over another day to get a full good run on a dry track because their time was up and another car company had already leased it.
First of all, I'm sure this is not the only hot lap the Z28 has done on the ring. It is the fastest one that GM has recorded or they would have posted the other faster laps. It starts raining on the second carousel and from there comes one fast sweeper, a long uphill straight with a full throttle bend at the crest then a couple of decelerating corners before the finish line. Rain does not make much difference on the straight, that is why the best time the z28 posted has some rain after almost all of the major corners were done. I will admit that he struggles for grip on the last few corners after the straight he may give up 3 seconds there.

Now the ZL1 makes up time at the end not because it is raining but because it is an uphill straight and the ZL1 has 80 more HP. It has an 11 mph advantage almost the entire straight and that is a long straight, about 1.3 miles. It does the same against the Z06 (which has the same engine and trans) if you watch it's video. ZL1 does not gain because of rain but because of horsepower down a straight.

So I'm thinking the rain at the end is great for marketing, Z/28 does awesome time with rain on the track but in reality it didn't make much difference or they would have posted the faster dry lap. It's a great cornering car... no doubt. Horsepower always wins on the straights. I'm not totally on the Z28 bandwagon yet.
__________________
ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. LSA blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. rwhp TBD...
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #24
ZL1-V

 
ZL1-V's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,046
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
ZL1-V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #25
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
C'mon we've known from the initial release AC is available.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #26
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
+1 And the 305 tires upfront.... just food for thought.....
__________________
ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. LSA blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. rwhp TBD...
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #27
DrkPhx

 
DrkPhx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: St Michael, MN
Posts: 1,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40years View Post
C'mon people. The car is only ABOUT 300#'s lighter. It was running on a cold, damp track. I don't care how hot the tires were, without the track being somewhat warm, that was a very respectable time. Let's wait until better conditions, then bash it if you must.
I wonder if they were running the production tires during the run? If so, the driver has balls of steel to run that fast with those tires in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snackbar64 View Post
Great video. Still not worth my Mylink radio or the snowball AC. I am really interested in seeing who will actually man up and give up their ZL1 for one. No radio is one thing, but no AC will make a thug cry. Great looking machine nonetheless.
I can live without AC; but I definitely need a complete sound system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
The article said they figure they lost about 6 seconds because of track conditions, so that's in your ballpark. Still impressive seeing a 'street' car on the track at 160 with the wipers on.
If it indeed ran that fast on a dry track you think they would publish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
First of all, I'm sure this is not the only hot lap the Z28 has done on the ring. It is the fastest one that GM has recorded or they would have posted the other faster laps. It starts raining on the second carousel and from there comes one fast sweeper, a long uphill straight with a full throttle bend at the crest then a couple of decelerating corners before the finish line. Rain does not make much difference on the straight, that is why the best time the z28 posted has some rain after almost all of the major corners were done. I will admit that he struggles for grip on the last few corners after the straight he may give up 3 seconds there.

Now the ZL1 makes up time at the end not because it is raining but because it is an uphill straight and the ZL1 has 80 more HP. It has an 11 mph advantage almost the entire straight and that is a long straight, about 1.3 miles. It does the same against the Z06 (which has the same engine and trans) if you watch it's video. ZL1 does not gain because of rain but because of horsepower down a straight.

So I'm thinking the rain at the end is great for marketing, Z/28 does awesome time with rain on the track but in reality it didn't make much difference or they would have posted the faster dry lap. It's a great cornering car... no doubt. Horsepower always wins on the straights. I'm not totally on the Z28 bandwagon yet.
Agreed; but if they would drop in the ZL1 A6 trans and 1LE 3.90 rear gear I would definitely jump on that bandwagon; purists be damned.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
snackbar64
 
snackbar64's Avatar
 
Drives: SW ZL1, A6, Carbon, Nav, MR, 10 spk
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Prosper, TX
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
C'mon we've known from the initial release AC is available.
Yes and the vehicle is still not in anyone's hands yet. I'd like to see who actually opts for the stripped down butt naked version of this car. I know I couldn't.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
mkorgan
 
Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sanford, Fl
Posts: 486
the ceramic brakes would be nice but I think the tires on the ZL1 would basically trim 3-4 seconds off of the ZL1 time. now if you believe the Z/28 left something out there based on the rain (Al says they believe they can get another 6 seconds off) that would put the Z/28 in at around 7:31. I think those same tires on the Zl1 would bring the ZL1 in around 7:36 or so. Bottomline, the Z/28 accomplished its mission of being the ultimate track Camaro but I think what it also did was confirm what an amazing job they did engineering the ZL1 in that it carries 300 more pounds, A/C, and MYLINK and if you put the Z/28 wheel/tire combo on it probably only gives away 5 seconds with same driver, same conditions. With all that said, I would love to own a Z/28 but could not justify selling my ZL1 to get one.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #30
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying
 
NightmareZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 273
It's the tires.
If you look at the twisty sections, the Z28 rips through about 10 mph faster with no tire squeal. watch the same section with the ZL1 and you will hear some super stressed out tires.

The Zl1 pulls 10 to 12 mph faster in long straight, but loses alot of time in quick tight turns.

Someone that tracks the ZL1 on here has said that the michelin pilot super sports give him 3 seconds faster times than the goodyear stock tires. And all of us that have pushed the zl1 know that out tires fail us way before the brakes and chasis do.

Put the same times on the Zl1, and watch it crush that Z28 lap time.
Poor z28 fan boys, so sad

I got banned form the Z28 forum for telling those "HIGHLY INTELLIGENT LOGICAL AND SOUND MINDED PEOPLE" that the z28 wouldnt do better than a 7:37. I love being right. They had dreams of 7:22's and beating the Z06, and no amount of logic or intelligent thinking could convince them otherwise. Finally, here is the track time for the dreamers to eat with their mouths full of foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I would like to see the ZL1 do the Ring lapping with the same ceramic carbon brakes as the Z/28.
__________________
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp

Last edited by NightmareZL1; 10-16-2013 at 12:31 AM.
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #31
NightmareZL1
Can't stop ***ifying
 
NightmareZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: Ashen 2013 Gray ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 273
And to all the Anti ZL1 peeps, watch the z28 vid with sound, then watch the zl1 vid with sound, then the z28 again and take note of how many times you hear the tires squeal and note how many times the driver has to counter steer out of a corner. In the z28 vid - maybe 3 times. In the ZL1 vid, constantly. The mighty ZL1 was begging for stickier shoes. The Z28 got them.
__________________
Rotofab, grinding rear diff sound forever, dealer replaced supercharger - now i have a rattle when starting from a stop, ordered 2.35 lingenfelter pulley, hp tuner, belt, 100mm idler pulley, tr7IX spark plugs, wideband kit, long tubes with no cats...hoping for 650hp. dyno with rotofab = 518hp
NightmareZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
Taser Deployed

 
Taser Deployed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 939
The Z/28 is definitely a beast of a car but it's not worth the money (which is going to be north of 60K) to me when compared to my ZL1. I know me and I would enjoy it for about a month and then I would be b*tching about not having a radio and comparing the rough ride to the smooth ride in my Z. Having AC would be no question living in South Louisiana. The ZL1 crowd and Z/28 crowd are going to be as different as night and day IMO.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
jessrayo
Speed Freak
 
jessrayo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ardmore, OK
Posts: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareZL1 View Post
It's the tires.

Its a little more complicated than that. If you watch my track videos I'm running the toyo R888 race/autocross tires and they are howling like mad in every corner because of the weight of the car when I'm driving them at the limit. I think the Z28 ended up using a Pirelli and it is a better tire than the Goodyear but the weight of the car magnifies tire grip trouble. If you could pull 300 lbs out of the ZL1 the cornering would be much better on whatever tire.
__________________
ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. LSA blower, twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, ADM trunk intercooler reservoir & EMP pump, Ron Davis S/C heat ex, and radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air intercooler, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar, Hurst line lock, braided brake & clutch lines, Motul 660 and Porterfield R4 pads, racingbrake rotors. LPE nitrous controller. rwhp TBD...
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #34
Taser Deployed

 
Taser Deployed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Its a little more complicated than that. If you watch my track videos I'm running the toyo R888 race/autocross tires and they are howling like mad in every corner because of the weight of the car when I'm driving them at the limit. I think the Z28 ended up using a Pirelli and it is a better tire than the Goodyear but the weight of the car magnifies tire grip trouble. If you could pull 300 lbs out of the ZL1 the cornering would be much better on whatever tire.
That makes sense. I'm surprised that more people aren't talking about the lower weight combined with the tires.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.