Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher
 
LS6-M22's Avatar
 
Drives: 1970 LS6 Chevelle 2009 ZO6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Westchester NY & Spring Hill FL
Posts: 85
Whats the boost in torque from on the LS7?

I noticed the Z/28 has more torque then the Z06 with the same engine.Does anyone know what changes were made?
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
davidcroft
Sellin Chevy's since '06
 
davidcroft's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 SS sedan
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,420
It's gonna be a HP bump too but Chevy is under-rating it. Open element K&N intake, tri-y shorty manifolds and electric power steering. From my '12-'13 Camaro LS3 cars the electric power steering variable showed up as 20 HP on a dyno. All my power mods were swapped at trade-in and 2nd dyno was in warmer weather. Chevrolet is down playing it by rating it at only 11 more TQ.
__________________
2014 SS Sedan-"houston stock" granny sedan
SOLD! 2013 Blue Ray1SS/1LE 1of20.
TRADED! 2012 White 1SS/RS
davidcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,286
I'd say it is mostly in the tri y exhaust and the rest of the exhaust system.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 4,487
Better flowing exhaust is probably the biggest change.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
garfin
Resident Disciple
 
Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roches Point, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
I noticed the Z/28 has more torque then the Z06 with the same engine.Does anyone know what changes were made?
According to Autoblog:
Pankl titanium connecting rods were added, as well as Mahle pistons, and a revised air intake with K&N cold-air induction and exhaust headers.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/16/2...-review-video/

Best regards,

Elie
__________________
2010 Cadillac CTS-V 6MN Thunder Gray
1998 Camaro SS # C079 SOLD
garfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
LS6-M22
Rockcrusher
 
LS6-M22's Avatar
 
Drives: 1970 LS6 Chevelle 2009 ZO6
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Westchester NY & Spring Hill FL
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
According to Autoblog:
Pankl titanium connecting rods were added, as well as Mahle pistons, and a revised air intake with K&N cold-air induction and exhaust headers.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/16/2...-review-video/

Best regards,

Elie
Does anyone know if the pistons are now forged?
LS6-M22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
bigssc
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS6-M22 View Post
Does anyone know if the pistons are now forged?
def not forged.
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
def not forged.
Are you sure? The rest of the engine is.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
bigssc
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Black 2013 Camaro 2SS (auto L99)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Long Island N.Y.
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Are you sure? The rest of the engine is.
well from what i know of that most of the motor is.. (forged crank, titainum rods etc) but the pistons arent and thats the LS7's weak point. the hyperteutic pistons arent forged unlike the LS9 which has forged pistons,
bigssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigssc View Post
well from what i know of that most of the motor is.. (forged crank, titainum rods etc) but the pistons arent and thats the LS7's weak point. the hyperteutic pistons arent forged unlike the LS9 which has forged pistons,
These are supposed to be a new piston.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #11
ayousef

 
ayousef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 758
interesting, so is compression ratio the same? Remember they said at least 505bhp, I think its closer to 550bhp but I'm still surprised it couldn't go past 161mph it seemed to be stuck there on the straight.
__________________

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,614
Yes I believe the CR is the same. I'm surprised as well at the 505 HP while the Torque has been increased. I'm with you on the HP it is probably closer to 525. The run on the straight obviously was held back due to the wet surface.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
ayousef

 
ayousef's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dubai
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Yes I believe the CR is the same. I'm surprised as well at the 505 HP while the Torque has been increased. I'm with you on the HP it is probably closer to 525. The run on the straight obviously was held back due to the wet surface.
I don't think it had anything to do with the wet surface, the car wouldn't have "slipped" out of control in that gear, however I think the HP boost is larger than you think it is, check out the tri-y tubular short tube "headers", cold air intake and electrical power steering and possibly some other shit we don't know about, the tune might be more aggressive who knows?
__________________

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #14
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Z06?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
I don't think it had anything to do with the wet surface, the car wouldn't have "slipped" out of control in that gear, however I think the HP boost is larger than you think it is, check out the tri-y tubular short tube "headers", cold air intake and electrical power steering and possibly some other shit we don't know about, the tune might be more aggressive who knows?
It could very well be sandbagging. Maybe they've learned a lesson after the ZL1 release?

Intake = 6 HP ?
Exhaust = 9 HP ?
Electric Steering = 5 HP ?
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
*007
 
Drives: Getaway Special
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Globe Trotter - CIU
Posts: 294
I wouldn't doubt it! And there is still time to tweak before the mags get a hold of it. The Z/28 has some damn guts that's for sure. A little tune for added HP is certainly going to be available. And, all that comes with the 100,000 mile warranty! Amazing!
__________________
Sip:
*007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #16
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black, aka "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 1,762
I would think the added downforce on the Z/28 is a penalizing factor on top end speed but a positive factor everywhere else with ferocious grip and handling stability that gives it the edge as compared to the ZL1.
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 10-22-2013 at 05:32 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 23,085
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
It's gonna be a HP bump too but Chevy is under-rating it. Open element K&N intake, tri-y shorty manifolds and electric power steering. From my '12-'13 Camaro LS3 cars the electric power steering variable showed up as 20 HP on a dyno. All my power mods were swapped at trade-in and 2nd dyno was in warmer weather. Chevrolet is down playing it by rating it at only 11 more TQ.
There is no way that a modern power steering pump is 20 hp. Not at all. Especially when you aren't actually turning the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Better flowing exhaust is probably the biggest change.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
interesting, so is compression ratio the same? Remember they said at least 505bhp, I think its closer to 550bhp but I'm still surprised it couldn't go past 161mph it seemed to be stuck there on the straight.
I believe they said 'at least 500 hp', maybe they used 505. Even if they did say 'at least 505' then when it actually does make 505, well they're still ok ... because 'at least' means 'equal to or greater than'

The Z/28 is SAE certified at 505 hp & 481 ft-lbs. You can't under-rate an engine by 10% and maintain SAE certification on it. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) probably wouldn't take too kindly to that. Additionally, the Z/28 hits its power and torque peak at different RPMs than the Z06 does. That doesn't happen if you're just giving placeholder numbers.


As for the 161 mph ... let me put it this way: would you be willing to take a prototype car past 161 mph on one of the worlds deadliest tracks, in the rain?
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.