Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
SNL Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #51
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
You got it right!
Clyde
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:07 AM   #52
L99CAMA2011


 
L99CAMA2011's Avatar
 
Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Masachusetts
Posts: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Explain the face palm.
L99CAMA2011 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #53
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Explain the face palm.
Pretty self explanatory.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #54
SSeniorMoment
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS L99 IOM
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Arizona
Posts: 611
Great comparison, thanks OP for putting the video together. Now I need to get some of those LS7 lifters.
SSeniorMoment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #55
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
I own a ZL1 and love the fact that the Z/28 is the fastest car around the Nurburgring. It was designed to be! The car is lighter and has better tires and brakes. It's not rocket science now is it? It's amusing to read the grumblings of other Camaro owners on here
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
The ZL1 IS the better all around Camaro. The Z/28 IS the better road racer.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeniorMoment View Post
Great comparison, thanks OP for putting the video together. Now I need to get some of those LS7 lifters.
No Problem!
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #56
ParisTNDude

 
ParisTNDude's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, TN
Posts: 1,981
No question, the Camaro is a great performer that few relatively affordable cars can match.

My wish: Ford would post their GT500 or Boss 302 videos of their "Ring" times. I'm betting they exist. That would really be amusing in a side by side comparison.
__________________
Current ride: 2010 Corvette Grand Sport
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #57
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
No question, the Camaro is a great performer that few relatively affordable cars can match.

My wish: Ford would post their GT500 or Boss 302 videos of their "Ring" times. I'm betting they exist. That would really be amusing in a side by side comparison.
YES! that would be great, however I do not know if we will ever see 'Ring times from Ford
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #58
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,263
They'll never do it now.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #59
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
They'll never do it now.
I'm pretty sure they've made laps around the 'Ring. Just haven't made it public on the times. I feel the GT500 would be behind the ZL1 but not by too much. Randy took the GT500 around LS slightly faster than the ZL1 but reported brake fade starting to take effect after the first lap. Well LS is much shorter than the 'Ring, so I imagine half way through the 'Ring there would be serious brake fade occurring. However the GT500 on the straight at the end would def make up some time.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:02 AM   #60
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,263
Yes, weren't there pictures of the Mustang at the Ring? If they haven't released the numbers by now they surely wouldn't after the Z/28 being there. Plus they've moved on to the next Gen. No sense in going backward.
Personally I hope Ford raises bar so GM will answer back.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:04 PM   #61
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
No question, the Camaro is a great performer that few relatively affordable cars can match.

My wish: Ford would post their GT500 or Boss 302 videos of their "Ring" times. I'm betting they exist. That would really be amusing in a side by side comparison.
Amusing is probably a good word to use. Around the Milford road course, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca is the fastest Mustang Ford has produced...Camaro starts faster with the 1LE/SS...gets faster with the ZL1....and finishes even faster than that in the Z/28...

Team Camaro, and Al Oppenheiser have taken to track performance engineering with a vengeance. Look at the Z/28...a car that nobody honestly thought could exist in modern car-making...a production car bred to do one thing alone: race.

And now...they've got all that experience under their belts moving into the 6th generation car. I would be very interested to see what Ford tries to do to usurp sales......or if they even try to fight at the track. They could try to lean on looks and value and give up the track/performance fight....

Doubt it though...this rivalry has never seen much "giving up".
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:16 PM   #62
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Amusing is probably a good word to use. Around the Milford road course, the Boss 302 Laguna Seca is the fastest Mustang Ford has produced...Camaro starts faster with the 1LE/SS...gets faster with the ZL1....and finishes even faster than that in the Z/28...
I'd like to see a neutral party do this mega test with all of the cars, there's talk on the Ford forums that GM was sand bagging the Mustangs, of course that can easily be fan boy talk.

I see arguments from both sides of why that may be true or untrue. Why would GM sand bag the Mustangs? That doesn't give them a good bench mark. A counter argument could be that GM was sand bagging them because if they didn't, maybe the Camaro would be slower.


Point being, I prefer 3rd party tests.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...
 
Mr. Wyndham's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 25,788
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I'd like to see a neutral party do this mega test with all of the cars, there's talk on the Ford forums that GM was sand bagging the Mustangs, of course that can easily be fan boy talk.

I see arguments from both sides of why that may be true or untrue. Why would GM sand bag the Mustangs? That doesn't give them a good bench mark. A counter argument could be that GM was sand bagging them because if they didn't, maybe the Camaro would be slower.


Point being, I prefer 3rd party tests.
Mustang people can say what they want...I know the folks on Camaro Team are extremely harsh on themselves as they want to be the best, bar-none - because they know they can be. It doesn't make any sense to me that they'd rig the results.

That said - I also like 3rd party tests...however, you get some organizations like Road and Track, who while performing the 2013 lightning lap, missed a shift in the 1LE, admitted they could have saved a couple seconds at least, yet proceeded to post that time up with all the others.

So...imo...I prefer Camaro Team's pride and insane infatuation for perfection wherever possible.
__________________
"Keep the faith." - - Read Before You Post.
SIGN UP for 2014 Camaro5 HPDE @ Gingerman Raceway!
Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:53 PM   #64
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Mustang people can say what they want...I know the folks on Camaro Team are extremely harsh on themselves as they want to be the best, bar-none - because they know they can be. It doesn't make any sense to me that they'd rig the results.

That said - I also like 3rd party tests...however, you get some organizations like Road and Track, who while performing the 2013 lightning lap, missed a shift in the 1LE, admitted they could have saved a couple seconds at least, yet proceeded to post that time up with all the others.

So...imo...I prefer Camaro Team's pride and insane infatuation for perfection wherever possible.
Exactly!
Why would anyone risk reputation on something that can and will be tested again and again? I don't see any company doing that. Fan Boys...
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:58 AM   #65
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 5,232
No I agree with you guys, it wouldn't make sense to sand bag, too much at risk and I'm sure at some point it will be tested. However my point was it would be nice to have a third party replicate these results.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #66
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine
 
2cnd chance's Avatar
 
Drives: A Z06 or a 2015 1LE?
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Road
Posts: 6,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
No I agree with you guys, it wouldn't make sense to sand bag, too much at risk and I'm sure at some point it will be tested. However my point was it would be nice to have a third party replicate these results.
Yes, however the problem is no matter what nay sayers will always say...Nay.
__________________
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #67
LOWDOWN
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 4,162
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is a logical choice. VIR as part of CandD's Lightning Lap will offer a comparison, although not simultaneously. Gratton, GingerMan, and Willow Springs have been used variously before. But you have to have participation from TWO competitors to make it a competition, and I don't see a (soon-) past generation Mustang willingly participating.

A next-Gen GT350, possibly due 4/17/14, roughly coinciding with Z/28 initial deliveries?!

Hmmmm...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #68
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 5,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is a logical choice. VIR as part of CandD's Lightning Lap will offer a comparison, although not simultaneously. Gratton, GingerMan, and Willow Springs have been used variously before. But you have to have participation from TWO competitors to make it a competition, and I don't see a (soon-) past generation Mustang willingly participating.

A next-Gen GT350, possibly due 4/17/14, roughly coinciding with Z/28 initial deliveries?!

Hmmmm...
I think it is only a matter of time before we see Randy take the Z/28 around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I'm very much interested in seeing that time.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #69
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I think it is only a matter of time before we see Randy take the Z/28 around Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. I'm very much interested in seeing that time.
Hopefully, in the next six months or so, we should be seeing that video.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.