Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
HRE Wheels
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
ssmike
Missing Big Red
 
ssmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Corvette DSOM, '13 Equinox CRT
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 6,531
for video!
__________________

Not a Camaro but it works for now!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmbdad71 View Post
Great build and an impressive car for sure! I'm just a little jealous.

A cam from Synergy may have just made it on my short list. Is there any reason that it wouldn't make a good choice as street cam? My car will only see 1 or 2 track days per year, but I would love to have the added power and keep it a track capable car.

If you get a chance, please post a vid of your exhaust at idle, I would love to hear what it sounds like and I'm sure some others would too.
Thanks man! This cam is ideal for the street because it has no surging issues as compared to many of the popular cams. And the broad, low end torque makes it very usable power. You can see from the forums that the trend right now is for big duration cams. Well, my friend bought too big of a cam, and after suffering with poor drivability for some time he went to Synergy and got a new cam and dyno tune. He's the one that convinced me to go with Synergy, and he was dead on. And for the times that you do track it, this cam will be gentle on your valve springs and tolerant of a missed shift without ruining the springs or god forbid having a valve to piston collision.

I've seen a number of builds where people installed monster cams have even done heads and their power and torque results are not much greater than mine. Why sacrifice low end torque and drivability if you don't have to?

Here's a number that surprised me - my peak speed at Buttonwillow Raceway was 113 MPH before the cam/longtubes/CAI and 130 MPH after! I also added R compound tires which I'm sure contributed to the improvement on the road course.

I'll try to shoot a vid of the exhaust note and post it soon. It has a nice muscle car lope to it, no mistaking it for the hollow smooth stock sound it used to have.
__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 4,281
I'm thinking they will be on my list of people to talk to when I go cam shopping in about 6 months. I'm looking to either do head work or TFS GenX's, with that. I like the way you describe this cam though.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #32
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I'm thinking they will be on my list of people to talk to when I go cam shopping in about 6 months. I'm looking to either do head work or TFS GenX's, with that. I like the way you describe this cam though.
I was going to do heads too, but both Synergy and my friend talked me out of it. Save the money, the stock LS3 heads flow so well you'll only get a small improvement for your cash outlay.
__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #33
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
I was going to do heads too, but both Synergy and my friend talked me out of it. Save the money, the stock LS3 heads flow so well you'll only get a small improvement for your cash outlay.
That's something to consider. I'm trying to hit 500/500 though. I have in my mind (but I need to research things first) that I want to do the following...

1) Intake... I already have the ADM Race intake.
2) Ported TB... I already have a Vmax
3) Pfadt LT's... I plan on doing this in November with a tune.
4) Either Lingenfelter Ported heads or TFS GenX 255's.
5) Cam to be determined which one.
6) Depending on what happens at SEMA I'm interested in the new Dual Plenum intakes that are supposed to be released. As it stands the FAST doesn't offer enough improvement to justify the cost.

You know about my suspension and Aero plans. I've already got brakes covered. I'm thinking wheels might be in order to run 305's all around.

Just so you know if you meet my wife and she might want to hurt you because of the damage to my bank account your car has inspired... Yes I know I plan to go an extra step or two but it's all your fault. At least that's what I'm telling my wife....... LMAO!
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #34
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
That's something to consider. I'm trying to hit 500/500 though. I have in my mind (but I need to research things first) that I want to do the following...

1) Intake... I already have the ADM Race intake.
2) Ported TB... I already have a Vmax
3) Pfadt LT's... I plan on doing this in November with a tune.
4) Either Lingenfelter Ported heads or TFS GenX 255's.
5) Cam to be determined which one.
6) Depending on what happens at SEMA I'm interested in the new Dual Plenum intakes that are supposed to be released. As it stands the FAST doesn't offer enough improvement to justify the cost.

You know about my suspension and Aero plans. I've already got brakes covered. I'm thinking wheels might be in order to run 305's all around.

Just so you know if you meet my wife and she might want to hurt you because of the damage to my bank account your car has inspired... Yes I know I plan to go an extra step or two but it's all your fault. At least that's what I'm telling my wife....... LMAO!
Nice plan! If our ladies got together we'd both be in the doghouse! Mine is running thin on patience, but she wants to come out and watch me drive one day. So she's still cool, I just don't want to push her over the edge.

Here's what I did to keep peace- When I attended the Ron Fellows driving school, which is just outside of Vegas, we tacked on a weekend getaway for Vegas. She flew in Friday eve right after class and we had a blast in Vegas.
__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #35
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 4,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 1LE View Post
Nice plan! If our ladies got together we'd both be in the doghouse! Mine is running thin on patience, but she wants to come out and watch me drive one day. So she's still cool, I just don't want to push her over the edge.

Here's what I did to keep peace- When I attended the Ron Fellows driving school, which is just outside of Vegas, we tacked on a weekend getaway for Vegas. She flew in Friday eve right after class and we had a blast in Vegas.

Good diversion methods... I have Skip Barber down at Sebring I believe. I need to do that early next year. I would love to go to Boundurant in AZ though.

I'm the type that get's the car where I want it quickly then I drive the wheels off of it for the next decade.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #36
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Good diversion methods... I have Skip Barber down at Sebring I believe. I need to do that early next year. I would love to go to Boundurant in AZ though.

I'm the type that get's the car where I want it quickly then I drive the wheels off of it for the next decade.
I'm the same. A few items left on my list - lightweight seats that accept a 6 point harness, aero, and a roll bar. My lady is pushing for the roll bar, I tend to agree. It's adding up, yikes.
__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #37
WHAMMO

 
WHAMMO's Avatar
 
Drives: LS2 Fbody
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,732
Is the cam similar to a 227/235 in size? :P Thats very good power and torque, and not too harsh on the valve train, very nice!!
__________________
4th Gen SS/LS2 SB/LS3 heads/N20
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #38
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHAMMO View Post
Is the cam similar to a 227/235 in size? :P Thats very good power and torque, and not too harsh on the valve train, very nice!!
That's right in the ballpark, no reason to go any bigger
__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #39
SteveV
 
Drives: 2013 VR Camaro 2SS 1LE
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 280
Would a FAST intake and 102mm throttle body make a difference with your setup? I am still working out a spreadsheet of parts to buy for my 1LE
__________________
People are a lot like slinky's: not very helpful most of the time, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs...
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Hi all,

A number of you have requested info on my cam. It's called the:

Track Cam from Synergy Motorsports. It's a new design, not yet on their website. Call them to order it. They don't give out the specs on their cam, but the dyno results speak for themselves. Excellent streetability too, no bucking or surging issues, nice muscle car lope.
__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #41
sdmbdad71
 
sdmbdad71's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 VR 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Coast, FL
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
for video!
Me too....

Hey Orange, how about it? Have you had a chance to get an exhaust vid?

Still in awe of your build, .
sdmbdad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #42
Orange Crush 1LE

 
Orange Crush 1LE's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 1,086
Here's the vid. Love the idle, somewhat choppy but no drivability issues. It shakes the car a little at stop lights, you feel like you are driving a beast. This is a grown-up's muscle car. No surge or bucking, smooth driving and tons of torque when you put your foot in it.



Here's what it sounds like from inside the car. This is at Buttonwillow Raceway:

__________________
Sold but not forgotten! Pedders Supercar Coilovers, 32mm rear sway bar,bushings; APR wing and splitter
Forged 416 road course stroker. 514 RWHP, 497 RW Ft-Lb
1 Camaro, 75 Vipers: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=393697
Buttonwillow Raceway: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389086

Last edited by Orange Crush 1LE; 11-03-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Orange Crush 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.