Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
River City Camaro Customs
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics Discussions related to the 5th gen Camaro Z/28 model

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
madmax13
 
Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 114
Torsen limited slip?

Does anyone have any information about the new limited slip and the specific improvements over the current stock unit? I am thinking about it for my 1LE.

Thanks
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Bhobbs

 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,156
GM said they gained .7 seconds around MRC by changing to the helical LSD.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Zfatuated
 
Drives: BAC Mono
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Reno
Posts: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
GM said they gained .7 seconds around MRC by changing to the helical LSD.
...combined with ABS based line-shaping and traction control, which he won't be retrofitting :-)

From a time/trouble/expense standpoint, Madmax would be far better served investing instead in a high-quality performance driving school experience.
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
woodside783
Casey Woodside
 
woodside783's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tn
Posts: 986
Come on gm performance
__________________
2013 camaro5 fest 4 camarocross modified champ
Instagram @caseywoodside
http://youtu.be/CSc9aPh_X_w
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
blazzin1


 
blazzin1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seffner, FL
Posts: 4,254
Looks almost identical to the Eaton True-Trac that I just installed....
Attached Images
   

Last edited by blazzin1; 10-17-2013 at 04:02 PM.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
Forty5th
 
Forty5th's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 551
It's a pretty robust differential. Ford uses it on the Boss 302 (optional on non laguna Seca and standard on the Laguna Seca models).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...ferential.html

http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20M...2%20Torsen.pdf
Forty5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
JusticePete
 
JusticePete's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro Justice
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 14,902
.7 seconds is 14 seconds in a 20 lap session!

For a Z/28 with 305 Trofeos all round you need a stronger differential or you will be doing one wheel peels as you accelerate through the corners. On a damp Ring the Z/28 pulled 1.8 Gs in some corners. That puts a huge load on the differential. Keep in mind, the .7 seconds is a comparison of two fresh differentials. Put a season or two of track time on both differentials and run the back to back test. The difference will be greater than .7 seconds.
__________________
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright
 
LOWDOWN's Avatar
 
Drives: Daily
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Cruisin'...
Posts: 3,799
Torsen was optional on Gen-4 Firehawks. We used one very effectively in the 500+ hp supercharged "Firehawk Lite" that finished 2nd Overall in the '98 One Lap of America.
__________________
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
OldScoolCamaro
ZL1 pilot
 
OldScoolCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1973 Z-28
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: In the WAYBAC machine somewhere in Jersey
Posts: 4,861
...lotsa worm gears in that unit......modern science! With an old school application. Gotta love the power of thought, engineering, and application of same.
__________________
In Scott We Trust...all others must show proof.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
madmax13
 
Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
...combined with ABS based line-shaping and traction control, which he won't be retrofitting :-)

From a time/trouble/expense standpoint, Madmax would be far better served investing instead in a high-quality performance driving school experience.
True that! I've been to Bondurant once, looking to go back soon! Especially now that they have 1LEs! I was going to drive mine out there but heck I'll roast their tires!

Max
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
madmax13
 
Drives: '13 2SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
.7 seconds is 14 seconds in a 20 lap session!

For a Z/28 with 305 Trofeos all round you need a stronger differential or you will be doing one wheel peels as you accelerate through the corners. On a damp Ring the Z/28 pulled 1.8 Gs in some corners. That puts a huge load on the differential. Keep in mind, the .7 seconds is a comparison of two fresh differentials. Put a season or two of track time on both differentials and run the back to back test. The difference will be greater than .7 seconds.
That's a lot of time! 1.8 Gs is pretty crazy. Do the diffs break in? Very interesting.
madmax13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
Firefighter

 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,211
I've been using a Torsen which was an SLP pull out in an S10 for 10 years or so. It was an excellent decision. I plan to upgrade to the TruTrac as it most likely will be cheaper than what GM will sell that Torsen for. They are so similar they might as well be the same.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
j-rho
 
Drives: '67 Z28
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 16
Does the Z28 Torsen unit have a means for initial preload? One place helical differentials like the Torsen suffer in comparison to clutch-types is in heavily loaded highly dynamic situations, like autocross. They need a fair amount of grip on the inside rear for the mechanism to work, otherwise it becomes a 1-wheel peel.
GM equips their Corvettes (don't have any Camaro5 experience) with the best clutch-type diff setups of any OEM, curious to know the reasoning.
__________________
j-rho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:23 AM   #14
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 2,960
My only concern is that it recommends non-synthetic oil and there's a lot of heat buildup during a track session. I bought a spare case to build up a rear but I don't want to put it in until I can get the Z28 diff cover and run a cooling system for added insurance with a torsen style diff.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #15
BaylorCamaro
AutoX is for fast DRIVERS
 
BaylorCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kemah, TX
Posts: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5th View Post
It's a pretty robust differential. Ford uses it on the Boss 302 (optional on non laguna Seca and standard on the Laguna Seca models).

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/othe...ferential.html

http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20M...2%20Torsen.pdf
It's an option on the GT500 with the SVT Performance Package, unless that is a different Torsen diff.
__________________
557 rwhp / 525 rwtq (PFADT Headers & Cats/ Roto-Fab Intake / Ported LSA TB)
Automotive YouTube Channel / My First ZL1 Autocross / Build Thread
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #16
Firefighter

 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
My only concern is that it recommends non-synthetic oil and there's a lot of heat buildup during a track session. I bought a spare case to build up a rear but I don't want to put it in until I can get the Z28 diff cover and run a cooling system for added insurance with a torsen style diff.
I've been running synthetic in my dime for the whole time. No ill effects.

There is nothing but metal in the unit I can't see a reason to NOT use synthetic.

I do know back in the 4th Gen days there was a complaint of a "rusty nail sound" what ever that is. The solution was to run friction modifier for a clutch differential.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
__________________
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Dropspeed
Fun Time!
 
Dropspeed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I've been using a Torsen which was an SLP pull out in an S10 for 10 years or so. It was an excellent decision. I plan to upgrade to the TruTrac as it most likely will be cheaper than what GM will sell that Torsen for. They are so similar they might as well be the same.
DTS (drive train specilist) here in Michigan sells the Trutrac for $545 and $250 installed if you give them/ship them the diff......

Mine will be installed over the winter!
__________________
Dropspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #18
Synner


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: May 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
I've been running synthetic in my dime for the whole time. No ill effects.

There is nothing but metal in the unit I can't see a reason to NOT use synthetic.

I do know back in the 4th Gen days there was a complaint of a "rusty nail sound" what ever that is. The solution was to run friction modifier for a clutch differential.
Dunno, their website says not to but not why. Its possible a standard fluid for break-in and then switching to synthetic after 500 miles would be fine.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.