Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Camaro Convertible Forum For all Camaro Convertible specific discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
Squibcakes
 
Squibcakes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2LT Convertible BRM
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 44
Do we condition the top?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I should be using some kind of product to condition the top to keep it looking and feeling like new?
Squibcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin
 
hworth18's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 520
I don't put anything on my top and only rinse it with water, but my car is garaged at work and at home so it doesn't see much adverse weather/sun as if it sat outside.
__________________
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark
hworth18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
RolltideSS

 
RolltideSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squibcakes View Post
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I should be using some kind of product to condition the top to keep it looking and feeling like new?
I haven't done it yet but from what I've seen people use ragtop or sunbrella to keep the top from fading and maintain the waterproofing
RolltideSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
zandron263

 
zandron263's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 1,697
I use 303 protectant once a year. Mine is a DD in the summer but does go in the garage every night and all winter.
__________________
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #5
not
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandron263 View Post
I use 303 protectant once a year. Mine is a DD in the summer but does go in the garage every night and all winter.
+ 1 on the 303 protectant, the stuff is amazing. Bit expensive but really worth it. I "wowed" the neighbors showing them how the water just beads off the top.

Manual states to wash it now and again, which I did before applying the 303. Didn't really touch it other than blowing off debris until I got stuck in rain on the hwy for 100 miles. So I gave it good washing (the 303 was still there but nothing lasts forever). Anyways, I reapplied and all is well in the world.

For all you out there with dark color Camaros, there is some stuff out there called "Hot Sause" that actually works as stated. I had so many hard water spots I almost traded in the car, ha. The stuff is awesome.
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
kevinw

 
Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kansas city
Posts: 1,381
i have a new 13 2 LT black vert. i bought Raggtop cleaner and protectant. the manufacturer, Haartz, has endorsed this product and their name is even on the can. both cost about $50 for the pair . the top is supposed to bead when water on it. so, make sure it does that and if not, apply the clearner and protectant.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
rangomr
 
rangomr's Avatar
 
Drives: 45th Anniversary 2LT V6 Convertible
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: South Boston, VA
Posts: 283
I SECOND & THIRD the 303 product. I at first tryed the Ragtop products but thought they did a terrible job. So in my research I went with 303. The cost is a little more but so what, I own a Camaro and it will get the best. Michael in South Boston, Virginia
rangomr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
kevinw

 
Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kansas city
Posts: 1,381
rangomr. what was it about raggtop that didnt work? i am surprised as Haartz recommends raggtop and they made the top. i even called haartz directly and spoke to a guy there. i figured since they made it that they would know what works best.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
95birdible

 
95birdible's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 1,469
In my over 25 years of owning 4 convertibles, I have never once put anything on the top except water to clean it off. If however this is a daily driver, it wouldn't hurt to put something on it. My cars are only driven in nice weather, never see rain, snow, or any type of weather but sun.
__________________
2012 1SS Triple Black Convertible
"The Assassin" 8/4/11 - 4/17/12

2012 1SS Crystal Red Convertible
"Cherry Bomb" 4/17/12 - Lifetime?
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
croat
 
croat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th rs convertible
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: new york city
Posts: 16
303 is the best product out there ! My vert lives outside for almost two years and my top is like brand new ! Snow , rain , sun , pollution ( NYC) does not affect it !
One 32oz spray bottle is enough to apply twice a year and it costs less then $20 bucks !
Highly recommended !
croat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
not
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
In my over 25 years of owning 4 convertibles, I have never once put anything on the top except water to clean it off. If however this is a daily driver, it wouldn't hurt to put something on it. My cars are only driven in nice weather, never see rain, snow, or any type of weather but sun.
Okay, can't resist 95birdible........ only drive in nice weather: no rain, snow, only sun........in MINNESOTA?

If I am doing the math right 25yrs/4 verts, =6.25 yrs each on average, and the above nice weather scenario, so each car was driven about a month each on average.........
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
not
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
rangomr. what was it about raggtop that didnt work? i am surprised as Haartz recommends raggtop and they made the top. i even called haartz directly and spoke to a guy there. i figured since they made it that they would know what works best.
Maybe they are the ones making the Ragtop.....ha. If it works for you good, that is all that counts, but I am a believer in 303.............
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #13
desieng
 
Drives: '11 SW 2SS/RS LS3 Vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 49
Do you guys use just the protectant or the cleaner as well?

Trying to figure out which to buy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/303-Fabric-Convertible-Top-Kit-Cleaner-Protectant-FREE-Shipping-030520-/221278655176?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories &hash=item33853c52c8&vxp=mtr
desieng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
not
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by desieng View Post
Well, I just bought the 303 fabric protectant "water repellent", which was $16.95 at a boat shop near Seattle. Cleaning the top with a bit of soap, water and elbow grease should suffice.

Just did a search and here is the stuff I used. I didn't buy it via this venue, just showing you the product label.

Good luck.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-3...3+fabric+guard
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #15
Dznyfn
 
Dznyfn's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 352
RAGGTOPP is what I use, beads water and has UV protection
__________________
Dznyfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
croat
 
croat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th rs convertible
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: new york city
Posts: 16
Autogeek.net has 32oz 303 for $19.99 . Enough for two applications !
croat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,817
I used 303 on my old top and will use it again on the new top.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
not
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Autogeek.net has 32oz 303 for $19.99 . Enough for two applications !
Thanks, it is a good price, even with the $7.95 shipping it is less than $16.29 a bottle I paid for 16oz size.

However, that link above from Amazon I posted has it for less but you have to order 3 bottles.... It's a conundrum I tell you. There is even some other re-sellers with a very low price and the shipping effectively doubles it.

Anyways, however you go, can't go wrong with 303!
not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
kevinw

 
Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: kansas city
Posts: 1,381
i have used 303 on my interiors and on my boat vynal. it is a good product and i am sure it or Raggtop either works well. i bought raggtop as that is what Haartz told me to use. i think it important to use either one, whether a person uses Colgate or Crest, as long as you brush your teeth, it dont matter which product, just do it.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #20
Dznyfn
 
Dznyfn's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 1SS Vert, 05 Tahoe Z71, 67 RS/SS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i have used 303 on my interiors and on my boat vynal. it is a good product and i am sure it or Raggtop either works well. i bought raggtop as that is what Haartz told me to use. i think it important to use either one, whether a person uses Colgate or Crest, as long as you brush your teeth, it dont matter which product, just do it.
__________________
Dznyfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #21
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by not View Post
Thanks, it is a good price, even with the $7.95 shipping it is less than $16.29 a bottle I paid for 16oz size.

However, that link above from Amazon I posted has it for less but you have to order 3 bottles.... It's a conundrum I tell you. There is even some other re-sellers with a very low price and the shipping effectively doubles it.

Anyways, however you go, can't go wrong with 303!
I paid $15 for mine at Ace Hardware.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
He11bent
 
He11bent's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS 'vert
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 500
I used 303 on my old top but two weeks ago I used the BMW convertible fabric protectorant on my new lid and I am very impressed. My boss had a 'vert BMW and he is very OCD about his cars. We discussed what he uses and that I had bought 303.

I think the application is much more robust so it protects better. First you take the entire bottle and dump it in 2.5 liters of water, park the car in the shade, make sure the top is clean and use a sponge to saturate the fabric. I kept doing this until all of the solution was gone. Then park in it the sun and let it dry. That was it.

Never got water to bead like this with spraying 303 on the cloth. Heck, it didnt bead up much when it was new! BTW my new top was 1 year old in August.
__________________
\(^^^)/ <--A Smile From He11

New Era OTR Intake
RX Catch Can
Escort 9500ix w/Firewire
Garmin GPS Hardwire
Peddlers Stage 1 Radius Rod Bush Inserts
Oracle Plasma Halo DRLs
He11bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #23
Angrybird 12
Retired, Cancer Survivor
 
Angrybird 12's Avatar
 
Drives: 12 CAMARO 1LT, 08 Vue, 14 Spark
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: J. C. Tennessee
Posts: 17,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11bent View Post
I used 303 on my old top but two weeks ago I used the BMW convertible fabric protectorant on my new lid and I am very impressed. My boss had a 'vert BMW and he is very OCD about his cars. We discussed what he uses and that I had bought 303.

I think the application is much more robust so it protects better. First you take the entire bottle and dump it in 2.5 liters of water, park the car in the shade, make sure the top is clean and use a sponge to saturate the fabric. I kept doing this until all of the solution was gone. Then park in it the sun and let it dry. That was it.

Never got water to bead like this with spraying 303 on the cloth. Heck, it didnt bead up much when it was new! BTW my new top was 1 year old in August.
I took the 303 and put it in a bucket, I then used a sponge and sponged it on making sure it soaked into the fabric. After it dried it beaded water just like wax on the paint. You cannot just spray it on.
__________________
Cancer's a bitch! Enjoy life while you can! LIVE, LOVE, DRIVE...CAMARO!

Previous Camaros: 1974, 1979 and 2010.
Angrybird 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
He11bent
 
He11bent's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS 'vert
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I took the 303 and put it in a bucket, I then used a sponge and sponged it on making sure it soaked into the fabric. After it dried it beaded water just like wax on the paint. You cannot just spray it on.
Thats what the manufacturer instructions state...
__________________
\(^^^)/ <--A Smile From He11

New Era OTR Intake
RX Catch Can
Escort 9500ix w/Firewire
Garmin GPS Hardwire
Peddlers Stage 1 Radius Rod Bush Inserts
Oracle Plasma Halo DRLs
He11bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #25
not
Account Suspended
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by He11bent View Post
I used 303 on my old top but two weeks ago I used the BMW convertible fabric protectorant on my new lid and I am very impressed. My boss had a 'vert BMW and he is very OCD about his cars. We discussed what he uses and that I had bought 303.

I think the application is much more robust so it protects better. First you take the entire bottle and dump it in 2.5 liters of water, park the car in the shade, make sure the top is clean and use a sponge to saturate the fabric. I kept doing this until all of the solution was gone. Then park in it the sun and let it dry. That was it.

Never got water to bead like this with spraying 303 on the cloth. Heck, it didnt bead up much when it was new! BTW my new top was 1 year old in August.
Yeah, the first time I applied the 303 I did it straight spray from the bottle, as the bottle came with a spray applicator........it worked fine but quite a bit of overspray on the body and windows.

So this time, last time, I used a sponge and it is as good as before, minus the overspray, but you do tend to use more with a sponge, at least I did.

Lastly, are you guys on the metric system in GA? How much is 2.5L ?
not is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.