Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

JUICEDMOTORSPORTS
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls Report, discuss and diagnose any issues and problems with your Camaro, including warranty discussions.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Ricamaro

Drives: RocketZed Red13
Brake Fluid Reservoir leaking / weeping

I have read a few threads about this and the recommended fix is to replace the cap, and/or add a shim to the cap, both of which I have done and the leak persists. I have a 2013 ZL1 6M

My experience today may help others, so...

I was showing a few other owners my leaking brake fluid reservoir and discovered that the cap easily lifted off on one side (the near side) when it should have been impossible to do so.

I checked another non-leaking Camaro and sure enough, his cap was impossible to lift off. Carrying the investigation further, I switched caps. Both caps on the other Camaro fit snugly and would not lift off. Both caps on my Camaro lifted off easily on one side. Another owner offered his Drake Billet Cap for the test; it fit snugly and would not lift off.

The conclusion is that the locking lugs on either the Cap or the Reservoir, or both, are undersized and will not lock the Cap securely and therefore will allow a leak. Visual inspection of both the cap and the reservoir lugs did not reveal any readily apparent damage.

So, for those with a leak - does your cap easily lift off on one side?

A trip to the dealer for warranty replacement is planned.
Ricamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Hannibal

Drives: Camaro SS & ZL1
Have you seen this? It now includes the reservoir. The TSB applies to the 2013 model year too.

Fluid leak/weep around master cylinder
Service Information

2011 Chevrolet Camaro | Camaro VIN F Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 3511744
#09-05-22-005C: Slight Brake Fluid Leak/Weeping Around Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap (Replace Cap and Reservoir) - (Jul 29, 2013)
Subject: Slight Brake Fluid Leak/Weeping Around Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap (Replace Cap and Reservoir)
Models: 2010-2013 Chevrolet Camaro This bulletin has been revised to add the 2012-2013 model years, brake fluid reservoir replacement, update the Parts Information and update the Labor Operation to the Global Labor Code (GLC). Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-05-22-005B.
Condition

Some customers may comment that brake fluid is seeping from the master cylinder reservoir cap.
Correction

Important: Do Not Replace the master cylinder assembly to correct this condition.

Replace the reservoir and cap with the parts listed below. Refer to Master Cylinder Reservoir Replacement in SI.

Parts Information

Part #22956543 - Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Kit

Part #22795538 - Brake Master Cylinder Reservoir Cap

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
Master Cylinder Reservoir Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION
Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Ricamaro

Yeah, just got back from the dealer and that is the remedy.

It was posted here, but I didn't see it until I googled the TSB # just now.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6849566

Anyone know if the replacement Reservoir is A6 / M6 specific or will
it arrived capped and the tech must cut the spigot for the clutch?
I'm hoping it will come capped 'cause I did the G8 clutch reservoir mod and
would prefer not having to cap off with neoprene again
Old 08-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
Ricamaro

Repaired under warranty
Old 08-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Jc's1LE

Drives: 2015 SW 1LE BA NPP Recaros
I have a 1LE and had it to my dealer 2 times and they replaced a lot of parts 3rd time I went up still had fluid around the edges and under the booster even had a little on the paint I was told on the 3rd It was my fault for filling it to high. They cleaned everything up and filled it half way and Im suppose to take it back for a 4th time this week
Jc's1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricamaro View Post
I have read a few threads about this and the recommended fix is to replace the cap, and/or add a shim to the cap, both of which I have done and the leak persists. I have a 2013 ZL1 6M

My experience today may help others, so...

I was showing a few other owners my leaking brake fluid reservoir and discovered that the cap easily lifted off on one side (the near side) when it should have been impossible to do so.

I checked another non-leaking Camaro and sure enough, his cap was impossible to lift off. Carrying the investigation further, I switched caps. Both caps on the other Camaro fit snugly and would not lift off. Both caps on my Camaro lifted off easily on one side. Another owner offered his Drake Billet Cap for the test; it fit snugly and would not lift off.

The conclusion is that the locking lugs on either the Cap or the Reservoir, or both, are undersized and will not lock the Cap securely and therefore will allow a leak. Visual inspection of both the cap and the reservoir lugs did not reveal any readily apparent damage.

So, for those with a leak - does your cap easily lift off on one side?

A trip to the dealer for warranty replacement is planned.
Greetings,

Apologies to hear about your brake fluid reservoir leaking. I know that this can bring much frustration. I'm happy you are going in for service and would like to receive any updates you can provide. We're here via private message if you need us.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
Mine is at the dealer now to get the reservoir and cap replaced.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
strych9
Nice rear end!

Drives: Not a Camaro
All better!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Romeloc

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS RS A6 Inferno
Mines is doing the same. The cap is comes off very easy. And I been having loud brake noise coming from the front brakes. New pads and all. I hope that could be the problem.
20% tints
Borla Atak cat-bak
Roto-Fab intake
amber footwell, dome, and trunk lighting(AAC)
Decepticon Gas door
Led Taillights (technostalgia)
Romeloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
orangecamaro12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS; 2002 Trailblazer
I noticed the brake fluid leaking a while back but thought it was because they over filled it so I just wiped it up and forgot about it. Then I stumbled upon this thread and went and looked, my paint under reservoir was peeling.

Took it in yesterday and they ordered the parts right away, That was easy

Just hope they are going to touch up the paint that is peeling, forgot to ask , don't want it to lead to rust problems later.

orangecamaro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #11
Jc's1LE

Mine went in today for the 4th time and they only filled it half way
Old 08-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
orangecamaro12

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LS; 2002 Trailblazer
So they replaced the reservoir, they are going to paint over the area they told me they could do it orange but it might over spray onto the motor and look wierd so they suggested matte black. Is that just bull and them trying ro save money on the paint? Told them to do the black but now I'm second guessing :/ have until monday when I drop it off to decide.

orangecamaro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #13
Jc's1LE

Ok so I bought my wife a 2013 RS in July and take a guess her's is leaking worse then my 1LE was went to the dealer today they had to order a part and was told all the 13's leak even the ZL1
Old 11-03-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
bygoneli

Drives: 2013 1ss
I just had my 2013 1ss in for service and I brought this issue up and I was told by the mechanic that it is normal to relieve the pressure. I just wanted to get my car out of there and get to work. I know it is BS, because if fluid is coming out, moisture is going to get in. I just don't have the time to argue. If I can find my plumbers teflon tape I might just wrap it around the threads.
bygoneli is offline   Reply With Quote