Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Hurst Shifters
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
JCV

Drives: 2013 2SS (LS3)
2013 SS Rotors / Pads / Upgrade

Hey guys,

Been lurking around the forum for a while, so I figured I'd begin to share my experiences and questions.

I have the standard OEM Brembos (2SS) and OEM rotors. I hard drive the car (work from home) so there is only the occasional milk run and the monthly track day (Homestead Road Courses A/B, Palm Beach International Raceway, Sebring, and Daytona. That's pretty much it.

After an 800 mile break in, I took the car out to Homestead Motor Speedway and put it through its test program. Most importantly was suspension and braking, as that should be upgraded first before any significant improvements to engine output in my opinion.

The front OEM Brembo Pads lasted two days of medium to hard breaking (5 25 minute stints, 50 minute cool down - not on the same day). The rears did not take such a beating as to be expected. On the second day, the front rotors began to overheat and eventually warped slightly and the front pads were literally almost coming off the backing material at the shop. Rotors were corrected, new pads put in and no track activity since.

Some considerations before making any high appreciated recommendations:

-I do not drive the vehicle except for the occasional 1 mile milk run, and/or weekend casual driving.
-I do not mind swapping pad compounds a day prior to and after a track event.
-Although money is an object, I would consider 2-piece over 1 piece rotors if weight, ease of replacement, performance characteristics where undeniable.

So this is what a trusted source recommended:

2013 Chevrolet Camaro, SS; V8 – 6.2L (option #1)

Front – EBC BlueStuff 5000 Pad Set (DP51210NDX) - $178.66

Front – EBC Sport Dimpled & Slotted Rotors (GD7520) - $287.19

Rear – EBC BlueStuff 5000 Pad Set (DP51788NDX) - $102.75

Rear – EBC Sport Dimpled & Slotted Rotors (GD7519) - $511.80

Subtotal: $1,080.40 – 15% = Total: $918.34

2013 Chevrolet Camaro, SS; V8 – 6.2L (option #2)

Front – Hawk Blue 9012 Race Pads (HB453E.585) - $247.19

Front – DBA 5000 Series Slotted 2-Piece Rotor Set (DBA52604BLKS) - $836.00

Rear – Hawk Blue 9012 Race Pads (HB194E.570) - $182.42

Rear – DBA 4000 Series Slotted Rotor Set (DBA42605S) - $594.00

Total: $1,859.61

I welcome all thoughts and alternate setups/manufacturers. Was also looking at www.racingbrake.com but clearly not a household name.

Thanks again boys, and I'm really glad to be part of such a dedicated and educated group!

JC
JCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Racingbrake is really a fantastic company can not say enough good things about them. I recommend them to anyone that will listen and am a frequent customer of theirs. If you are looking at them for rotors or pads or calipers then they have a nice little package that contains it all including SS lines and dot4 fluid for a heafty discount.

Cobalt Friction is a VERY popular pad name amongst your fellow camaro 5 track enthusiasts. Have not read a single bad thing about their xr1/xr3 or xr2/xr4 setups on our heavy chevys. they are also located in florida if that helps you.

Really cant recommend ebc pads to be honest....i did not like them what so ever. Their pads actually split into 3 pieces, separated from backing plate and fell out of caliper on me....twice

two piece rotors are definitely worth it....especially since you do not have to buy the hat again and do track days...just make sure the 2 piece you get is actually lighter...there are some that are the same weight as oem
Old 11-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
JCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Racingbrake is really a fantastic company can not say enough good things about them. I recommend them to anyone that will listen and am a frequent customer of theirs. If you are looking at them for rotors or pads or calipers then they have a nice little package that contains it all including SS lines and dot4 fluid for a heafty discount.

Cobalt Friction is a VERY popular pad name amongst your fellow camaro 5 track enthusiasts. Have not read a single bad thing about their xr1/xr3 or xr2/xr4 setups on our heavy chevys. they are also located in florida if that helps you.

Really cant recommend ebc pads to be honest....i did not like them what so ever. Their pads actually split into 3 pieces, separated from backing plate and fell out of caliper on me....twice

two piece rotors are definitely worth it....especially since you do not have to buy the hat again and do track days...just make sure the 2 piece you get is actually lighter...there are some that are the same weight as oem
Blake,

Thank you for the feedback. I've been speaking with Alex and the owner at Racingbrake.com for a few days. They do seem to have a solid understanding and knowledge of what we need for the heavier cars, and Alex has been extremely generous with his time and feedback.

It's always a tough decision when making these types of upgrades. The truth is out there, it's just a matter of listening to individuals that have traveled similar roads and then make the best decision for your specific circumstances.

Thanks again,

JC
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 PM   #4
SPCBA
Blake

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCV View Post
Blake,

Thank you for the feedback. I've been speaking with Alex and the owner at Racingbrake.com for a few days. They do seem to have a solid understanding and knowledge of what we need for the heavier cars, and Alex has been extremely generous with his time and feedback.

It's always a tough decision when making these types of upgrades. The truth is out there, it's just a matter of listening to individuals that have traveled similar roads and then make the best decision for your specific circumstances.

Thanks again,

JC
I drive an auto on road courses. Drove it through the summer on california tracks. I went on a crusade of sorts to improve or stop massive and sudden brake fade...drove the racing brake setup on a track in desert in ca...117 ambient temp with the temp of the pavement in paddock area at 150+

Mr Linn at racing brake does nothing but brakes...that is their business. they are more known in porsche and nissan crowds. I am glad I randomly stopped by their place and played 20 questions.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
JCV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
I drive an auto on road courses. Drove it through the summer on california tracks. I went on a crusade of sorts to improve or stop massive and sudden brake fade...drove the racing brake setup on a track in desert in ca...117 ambient temp with the temp of the pavement in paddock area at 150+

Mr Linn at racing brake does nothing but brakes...that is their business. they are more known in porsche and nissan crowds. I am glad I randomly stopped by their place and played 20 questions.
Blake,

Driving an automatic on road courses puts your brakes through a significantly higher load than someone that is also mechanically braking (which is my case). You must have found the magic combination of rotor and pad material to be braking at those track temps - nice foot work!

I'll be at Palm Beach International Raceway in a few weeks and will be taking some temp readings with the set I go with. I don't return to Homestead Motor speedway until January so I won't be able to overlay braking telemetry to see how my changes have impacted over all time, rotor and pad temps, etc...

Once you compare apples to apples its a cake walk at that point.

But I can't rag on the OEM equipment too much. It kept me from running into an overzealous BMW that didn't think white flags didn't applied to him.

The link shows what happens when cold slicks meet heavy foot when exiting pit lane, which in this case leads you straight into cars turning into T1 about 130MPH (in my case).

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

He got it from me and the event directors pretty hard after that stint.

JC
Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Check out my signature, CTS-V upgrade for the front! I had racing brake rotors and Hawk HP+ pads on my 2010 SS and they were a good track/street setup. I still have the RB rotors but I was planning on doing the CTS-V upgrade for my 1LE with the same pads on the track and street but I need to put this on hold until spring (holidays, baby on the way, new house, among other things that diminish my car budget). I still want to do this, my fallback if I need to pinch my budget is Cobalt Friction pads for the track, stock pads for the street, stock rotors, & brake ducts.

I believe EBC pads would be similar to the Hawk HP+ pads but to get true track duty pads you need a separate set for the streets. As mentioned already Cobalt Friction makes a great pad for track duty but they are pricey like most track pads.

What events and dates are you running? I live in Wellington and was thinking about taking my new 1LE to PBIR and Homestead soon. I plan on doing an autoX in Homestead on December 1st.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.

Last edited by toehead93; 11-06-2013 at 02:24 PM.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, dba, ebc, racingbrake.com, rotors