Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cam Motion
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #69
Fraxum

Drives: 2003 Jetta. At least it's red.
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Okay so this whole thread is a bust. No one will be taking their Z/28 with the delicate diff and axles to the drag strip for testing. We may never know how fast the Z/28 is there.

I just hope some Z/28 owners will upgrade to the SS diff and axles so we can find out.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #70

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Okay so this whole thread is a bust. No one will be taking their Z/28 with the delicate diff and axles to the drag strip for testing. We may never know how fast the Z/28 is there.

I just hope some Z/28 owners will upgrade to the SS diff and axles so we can find out.
Don't think it's a complete bust yet....For sure the rear end of the Z/28 is primarily/optimally made for the road courses....How will it do in the 1/4 mile?....I'm sure it can and will be done, but if it can't take a beating that way, don't think it will be something that's touted as part of the whole package...

From reading some of the above if I was a die hard drag racer, why not change out the rear end with a ZL-1s, and be good to go for both strip and track?...

Might be worth the hassle to get the best of both worlds...
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #71
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Strickler's Old Reliable was purchased by Camaro expert and drag racer Jerry MacNeish in '93 and fully restored, Jerry raced it in '94 in NHRA Stock Eliminator and won two Division Points Meets and many class wins. In his own '67 Z/28 that he built, MacNeish set the D/Stock Eliminator record of 10.45 at 126.221 in 2010.
Clyde
Attached Images

wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #72
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Drives: 2016 Z06?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Strickler's Old Reliable was purchased by Camaro expert and drag racer Jerry MacNeish in '93 and fully restored, Jerry raced it in '94 in NHRA Stock Eliminator and won two Division Points Meets and many class wins. In his own '67 Z/28 that he built, MacNeish set the D/Stock Eliminator record of 10.45 at 126.221 in 2010.
Clyde
That's cool!
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #73
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm awful curious how the consensus has become that the Z/28 driveline components are....."delicate"?

Just because they didn't use the Abram's differential from the ZL1 doesn't mean it'll shatter if you take it too close to a drag strip.....

Mr. Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #74
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I'm awful curious how the consensus has become that the Z/28 driveline components are....."delicate"?

Just because they didn't use the Abram's differential from the ZL1 doesn't mean it'll shatter if you take it too close to a drag strip.....
Agree 1000%. Dont worry guys, it will be able to take it.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #75
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:

A sound bite for the competition to seize upon...

GM has stated the Z/28's primary purpose is NOT drag racing, and I doubt their "track warranty" will cover banzai launches on super-sticky 10.5" slicks. Other than that, in the immortal words of Darrell Waltrip, "Have at 'er, boys!"
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #76
Fraxum

My "delicate" post was tongue in cheek. If GM has learned anything from the past they will not be building heavy hi powered cars with easily breakable drive line components. Z/28 included.

Do we know when Chevy will start building Z/28s? I suppose it will have to be after freezing winter temps. But tires cracking in cold weather seems a little crazy. I'll bet that can be fixed and may not be the case with the Z/28 tres.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #77
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
My "delicate" post was tongue in cheek. If GM has learned anything from the past they will not be building hi powered cars with easily breakable drive line components. Z28 included.

Do we know when Chevy will start building Z/28s? I suppose it will have to be after freezing winter temps. But tires cracking in cold weather seems a little crazy. I'll bet that can be fixed.
Oh - I wasn't "calling you out", individually...just so you know. Your post was just the only one that just came out and said what others were dancing around. The entire thread started to hover around this idea that somehow the Z/28 is fragile, or delicate. To me - that thought is ridiculous.

Old 11-17-2013, 02:13 AM   #78
macalot

Drives: 1969 + 2015 Z/28s F250 SD
Quote:
Clyde
Reminds me of a ride I had in a 63 street racer vette back in the day, with a stroker small block and straight axle up front. I was 17 and looking to buy it, $2500 back in 1971… but didn't. I swear i looked at the sky and clouds wayyyyyy too long in first and second gear! Man those were the days, when you could actually get away with driving somewhat crazy at times!
I know, I know, those of us that lived during those times should all be dead, but here we are… albeit a lot smarter
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #79
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

Quote:
My "delicate" post was tongue in cheek. If GM has learned anything from the past they will not be building heavy hi powered cars with easily breakable drive line components. Z/28 included.

Do we know when Chevy will start building Z/28s? I suppose it will have to be after freezing winter temps. But tires cracking in cold weather seems a little crazy. I'll bet that can be fixed and may not be the case with the Z/28 tres.
Quote:
Oh - I wasn't "calling you out", individually...just so you know. Your post was just the only one that just came out and said what others were dancing around. The entire thread started to hover around this idea that somehow the Z/28 is fragile, or delicate. To me - that thought is ridiculous.
If you look into this thread and a few others you'll see it came from some in the ZL1 crowd protecting their investments. It's a shame because the ZL1 can stand on its own merit without degrading the Z/28 or the 1LE for that matter.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #80
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
If you look into this thread and a few others you'll see it came from some in the ZL1 crowd protecting their investments. It's a shame because the ZL1 can stand on its own merit without degrading the Z/28 or the 1LE for that matter.
And we've seen that often on these forums, many of the anti ZL1 threads were started by SS owners that seemed to be upset that they were no longer the "top dog". Given the wide range and diversity within the whole Camaro lineup, you'd think there would be plenty of territory for everybody without being negative towards the others.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #81
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
And we've seen that often on these forums, many of the anti ZL1 threads were started by SS owners that seemed to be upset that they were no longer the "top dog". Given the wide range and diversity within the whole Camaro lineup, you'd think there would be plenty of territory for everybody without being negative towards the others.
Clyde
If that is the case....I think it's best to ignore the attempted in-fighting....to keep it "attempted". No need to fuel that fire - because you're absolutely right: There's a Camaro for everybody, and they're all EXCELLENT automobiles!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM   #82
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
So true, there is room for all of them. It is amazing to me that Chevy is building all three. This, the new Corvette, and the new Cadillacs shows GM is serious about building HP cars. I am not a fan boy, but this really is a new GM.

Of all of these the Z/28 is the most exciting to me except for the COPO. If this Camaro was street legal it would be my dream Camaro. Of course I would get it with the 427.

If I could afford a Z/28 I would get one. I like that everything you don't need is left off. But I would get mine with A/C and the BA if possible. In black. And the first thing I would do is get drag radials and see what it will do at the drag strip. If anyone wants to fund this project, PM me.

I like all three HP Camaros, but:

The ZL1 is too heavy and expensive.
The Z/28 is just too expensive.
The 1LE is almost just right, a little expensive and a little too heavy.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #83
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...it's a dedicated road race car, pondering what it will do in the 1320' versus a wide open road is apples to oranges. Why even ask? I's not made for that, and why would anyone even do that....silly horse pucky.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #84
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...it's a dedicated road race car, pondering what it will do in the 1320' versus a wide open road is apples to oranges. Why even ask? I's not made for that, and why would anyone even do that....silly horse pucky.

because people like to brag about what some magazine writer was able to run in a car

I hear the stuff all the time - well this car went 12.1s. That is great saw 5 of those same exact cars at my local track running 12.60s

Don't get me wrong - you put slicks/skinnies and lose the splitters and seats and put a hoosier drag radial on - this car will run deep in the 11s imo.

But nothing justifies doing it other than you had to have the z/28 badge on your drag car (and there are plenty at drag strips so this is very much a possibility)
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #85
2cnd chance
It Will Be Mine

It will be done, however it's like drinking a fine champagne from a beer mug.