Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Emblempros
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
Brake/Clutch Fluid leak

Dos any one have a leak on top of the Brake/Clutch Fluid reservoir like me,
This is from day one, Got the car home and drove it till a saw it on the reservoir at that time i cleaned it up and figured that in the pdi the guy over filed the reservoir, So no big deal a week later it was on the reservoir once more so this time i looked to see that it was over max in the reservoir,I cleaned it up once more and drove some 1200 mi and pick up the car from k&n on Thursday i see that the reservoir has Brake/Clutch Fluid om it one more time, This is getting old So i go to the Serves Consultant for the dealer yesterday and he orders s new cap for the reservoir we will start at this point and i will let you now how we fix it.
Attached Images
     
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
camarotoofast
VIN #586 is Home
 
camarotoofast's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 Z28 Camaro 69 camaro 81 cam
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 87
Send a message via Yahoo to camarotoofast
Yup mine looks like that.The dealer tried a few other caps but they were lose fitting so they order a new one but it still leaks a little around the top, not as bad as the 1st cap. Just have too keep an eye on it
__________________
VIN # 586 is home
1ss,blk/blk,poilsh rims,B.A.upgrade,a6,stainless works catback.vararam more-to-come
camarotoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
So maybe we need to have the dealer order a new reservoir and cap and see if that fixes the problem.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
PsyDoc
 
Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southeast
Posts: 249
Is the fluid in the reservoir clear? In one of the photos, it looks like there are contaminants in the fluid. If there is indeed "specs" of what looks like dirt in it, then have a look at the following post: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=clutch+dust
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
camarotoofast
VIN #586 is Home
 
camarotoofast's Avatar
 
Drives: 00 Z28 Camaro 69 camaro 81 cam
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston Tx
Posts: 87
Send a message via Yahoo to camarotoofast
I would say its more the reservoir because the cap didnt fix the problem 100% but it did help. Just to let you know mine is a A6 and i have 1,700 miles on her and my fluid isn't that dark i guess its the brake/Clutch combo in the M6 that makes it heat up more.
__________________
VIN # 586 is home
1ss,blk/blk,poilsh rims,B.A.upgrade,a6,stainless works catback.vararam more-to-come
camarotoofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDoc View Post
Is the fluid in the reservoir clear? In one of the photos, it looks like there are contaminants in the fluid. If there is indeed "specs" of what looks like dirt in it, then have a look at the following post: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=clutch+dust
Thank you i also put up a link about this some time ago to http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29751
And go to http://rangeracceleration.com he is the guy on the youtube Link that LDGn63 put up,

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarotoofast View Post
I would say its more the reservoir because the cap didnt fix the problem 100% but it did help. Just to let you know mine is a A6 and i have 1,700 miles on her and my fluid isn't that dark i guess its the brake/Clutch combo in the M6 that makes it heat up more.
I will let the guys at the dealer now to order me a new reservoir on Monday.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!
 
CGM2SSRS's Avatar
 
Drives: Raptor
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Notinsuspensionthread
Posts: 944
Thanks for the info/links!!! Great stuff!

Last edited by CGM2SSRS; 07-12-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: there is a maintenance thread
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
So i fond out that this can not be fixed by a new cap and reservoir this is a gm defect, But i will Have a fix for this this week, I ordered the right parts to save more than $1000,00 or more in the next 2-4 years and it will only cost $22.00
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
markssylver
 
markssylver's Avatar
 
Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: md
Posts: 333
whaat did you order ? a seperate resevoir for the clutch fluid
__________________
10.56@134mph
ADM BUILT AND TUNED CGM 2SS RS
ADM/LPE 417 with ported heads/inconel vavles gt11 cam
ADM ported maggie with 14 rib rear 10 rib front pulleys
ADM fuel system and race air intake
ADM/LPE ZR1 clutch /pedalreturn spring
ADM billet aluminum valve covers /RPM LEVEL 6 TR6060
LPE HD 241mm diff with 3:45 gears HD axles and d/s
ADM widened wheels with 315nitto nt05s Bogart 17 dragwheels CTS-V front 6 piston brakes
Pedders HD subframe/differential bushings alignment kit 27/32mm sways Supercar coilovers
683RWHP/650RWTQ
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:20 AM   #10
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351
 
Embalmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Canton, Michigan
Posts: 607
Hmm I have this same problem.

What did you mean by "I ordered the right parts to save more than $1000,00 or more in the next 2-4 years"?
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
whaat did you order ? a seperate resevoir for the clutch fluid
Yes i did order seperate resevoir for the Clutch and will post some more info on Friday after i get the parts and i will upgrade to DOT4 on the Clutch side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
Hmm I have this same problem.

What did you mean by "I ordered the right parts to save more than $1000,00 or more in the next 2-4 years"?
Think of your brake fluid in that resevoir and now think of you anti lock brakes in that car how long till we have a problem in the anti lock brakes. so i ordered a seperate resevoir for the Clutch and will post some more info on Friday after i get the parts and i will upgrade to DOT4 on the Clutch side.
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #12
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
So today i start the redesign on the Clutch Fluid reservoir to fix the mix of brake and Clutch Fluid, I am not to happy to see this in our camaro's and not on any C6 out there or G8's, So i want down to my GM parts Dealer and did some home work, We looked at C6 and G8 put the problem with them is that you can not buy the reservoir by its self only with the Clutch master cylinder, So he is also a FORD dealer and we found a Clutch Fluid reservoir from a F-150 or F-250 that had the mounting hardware to mount on the car but it WAS A FORD (And it was also $65 that is to mach on that part) And this is a Camaro, Than i said how a about a GTO so he looks it up and it has the reservoir by its self so he looks up the $ for the part and it only list's for $19.33 for one and i get a better price, Lats say lower than $15.00 for me, And because this is a GTO the part is a Holden LTD part and maid in Germany, This will fix two things.

#1 No more mixing of brake and Clutch Fluid, And i will go to Dot 4 on the Clutch Fluid.

#2 no way to contaminant you brake Fluid from you Clutch Fluid, And than you do not have to pay to rebuild you ABS in 3-5 years If you drive it as a DD

So her is a pic of the reservoir
Attached Images
  
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />

Last edited by 2SSRS@Gen5diy; 07-24-2009 at 06:11 PM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #13
camarorick

 
camarorick's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: .
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
So today i start the redesign on the Clutch Fluid reservoir to fix the mix of brake and Clutch Fluid, I am not to happy to see this in our camaro's and not on any C6 out there or G8's, So i want down to my GM parts Dealer and did some home work, We looked at C6 and G8 put the problem with them is that you can not buy the reservoir by its self only with the Clutch master cylinder, So he is also a FORD dealer and we found a Clutch Fluid reservoir from a F-150 or F-250 that had the mounting hardware to mount on the car but it WAS A FORD (And it was also $65 that is to mach on that part) And this is a Camaro, Than i said how a about a GTO so he looks it up and it has the reservoir by its self so he looks up the $ for the part and it only list's for $19.33 for one and i get a better price, Lats say lower than $15.00 for me, And because this is a GTO the part is a Holden LTD part and maid in Germany, This will fix two things.

#1 No more mixing of brake and Clutch Fluid, And i will go to Dot 4 on the Clutch Fluid.

#2 no way to contaminant you brake Fluid from you Clutch Fluid, And than you do not have to pay to rebuild you ABS in 3-5 years If you drive it as a DD

So her is a pic of the reservoir
This is an excellent idea Please keep us posted with your progress ( lots of photos )...
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 PM   #14
2SSRS@Gen5diy

 
2SSRS@Gen5diy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS IOM ,2014 Z/28, 66 Nova
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: By the lake in AZ
Posts: 13,600
So i did it in less than 1 1/2 hour had to get a hose clamp and a rubber plug for the brake master cylinder and 2 self tapping metal screws for the new reservoir.
Attached Images
      
__________________
<img src=images/smilies/thumbdown.gif border=0 alt= title=Thumbdown class=inlineimg />
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch fluid contamination problems on Vette fixed for Camaro??? LDGn63 V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) 11 05-28-2012 09:17 PM
Can't Decide - Auto or Manual attymf Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 209 01-04-2010 10:14 PM
Passenger Side Air Leak or Side Mirror? Icntdrv55 Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls 7 10-21-2009 09:22 PM
GM looking into Volt pictures leak Mr. Wyndham General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 09-09-2008 11:10 PM
Mystery fluid 96CAMaro 4th Generation Camaros 6 07-30-2008 06:03 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.