Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Grabiak Performance Center
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
Excessive brake dust on rears only

I just noticed over the last couple of weeks that my rear wheels have excessive brake dust on them, a lot more then the fronts. I still have the stock pads on the front and rear, so I am concerned as to why the rears are so much worse with the dust recently. Could this be a sign that the rear pads need to be replaced?
Old 11-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCO2185 View Post
I just noticed over the last couple of weeks that my rear wheels have excessive brake dust on them, a lot more then the fronts. I still have the stock pads on the front and rear, so I am concerned as to why the rears are so much worse with the dust recently. Could this be a sign that the rear pads need to be replaced?
Well.....
If you have been doing some spirited driving, or if the weather has been crappy and the ABS, traction control and stabilitrac have been kicking in, it uses the back brakes to help control the car.

I have almost 30,000 on my car with 5 track days and 0ne autocross on my rear brakes and they still have over 50% of the pad life left.

Sometimes calipers hang up and cause the pads to be in constant contact with the rotor, but can't say I have heard that with the camaro though.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Just thinking/typing out loud on this one... Take your wheels off and do a visual inspection of the pad thickness.

It's easy enough to remove the pads (not the calipers) and compare the thickness left to right and front to back. If the front pads are not wearing more, something is not right.

intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Like someone else said, if you are getting on it allot and the T/C is kicking in it will eat up the rear pads.
2013 2SS, GM Strut Tower Brace, CAI Intake Black, VMAX TB, Elite Catch Can, Hotchkis Chassis Brace, Hurst Shifter, 3.91 1LE Complete Rear End, NPP, 1LE Track Pack,Factory Reproductions Style 41 ZL1 Fitment Wheels 10" on all 4 corners
Scott@Bjorn3D is online now   Reply With Quote