Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

autoguy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Suspension / Brakes / Chassis All suspension, brakes and chassis discussions.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '08 Caddy DTS
New Camaro Owner Here / Suspension Question

I purchased my first Camaro yesterday. It is a 2012 SS Anniversary Edition with the 6M. The salesman said that the exhaust was aftermarket so I asked him what exhaust did it have. He said that it was still GM exhaust but they called it aftermarket. :/ Anyway, we had taken a 2012 SS auto home for a weekend prior and this one that we bought is louder. Also he mentioned that it had a Hurst shifter like it was an add on. Is it or do all of the manuals come with it?

The burning question is...While the automatic rode fairly well (for being a sports car), this Anniversary Edition rides like a freakin' lumber wagon. Is it plausible that if the previous owner upgraded the exhaust that he might have upgraded the suspension as well? Is there a way that I can tell?

If anyone has any insight into this exhaust, do you know what the HP is with the upgraded exhaust?
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
camaro1350

Drives: 2013 Camaro RS 1LT, 6M
Too many aftermarket exhaust out there for a camaro to tell you without pictures. Maybe if you post a picture of your exhaust we could tell you. Pictures always helps.

Vmax Ported Throttle Body, CAI, Solo HFC, Corsa Cat-Back, HP Tune, 3.91 gears, Eaton Tru-trac, HTC Dif. Cover, BMR Dif. Bushing, ADM Solid Sub Frame Bushings, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Toe Rods, Pfapt Lowering Springs, MPD1 Hood, Razzi Ground Effects, Side Vents, TSW Neuburgrings, Custom Katzkin Leather Seats, Tinted Windows, 286 whp
camaro1350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '10 2LT/RS,'14 Caddy CTS Coupe
CONGRATS on your ride and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's, dad's, wives', husband's, girlfriend's and boyfriend's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
DarkwingT

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Camaro
The Hurst shifter knob is an optional order. I actually just installed mine. I like it, but it's just an accessory. The oem knob is the same feeling and look. The Hurst just has (usually) red stitching and the H logo.
The oem is plain.

Hurst knob costs anywhere from $50-$85
DarkwingT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #5
SSweetride

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkwingT View Post
The Hurst shifter knob is an optional order. I actually just installed mine. I like it, but it's just an accessory. The oem knob is the same feeling and look. The Hurst just has (usually) red stitching and the H logo.
The oem is plain.

Hurst knob costs anywhere from $50-$85
The Factory Hurst option is a complete shifter, not just the knob. And it's an option, not all M6 cars have it. And my 2012 rides great, '12s got a revised suspension for better handling. So if it rides rough, it could have some work done to it.

To the OP, congrats on the new car. Anniversary cars are sweet.
SSweetride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1350 View Post
Too many aftermarket exhaust out there for a camaro to tell you without pictures. Maybe if you post a picture of your exhaust we could tell you. Pictures always helps.
^This

Give us some photos of the mufflers and suspension so we can help you out.

Also congrats on the new ride!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
DFWZ28

Drives: 2010 SS
Welcome...great choice....and if it's loud....be proud!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray1978 View Post
The salesman said that the exhaust was aftermarket so I asked him what exhaust did it have. He said that it was still GM exhaust but they called it aftermarket.
He probably meant that has the GM Performance Parts axle-back.

Quote:
Anyway, we had taken a 2012 SS auto home for a weekend prior and this one that we bought is louder.
The manuals have a louder exhaust than the automatic, to start with. But if it has aftermarket mufflers, GM or otherwise, it will be even louder

Quote:
Also he mentioned that it had a Hurst shifter like it was an add on. Is it or do all of the manuals come with it?
There's two Hurst shifters, but neither of them are standard. There's an optional factory installed version and there's an aftermarket version.

Quote:
The burning question is...While the automatic rode fairly well (for being a sports car), this Anniversary Edition rides like a freakin' lumber wagon.
The '12s do have an upgraded suspension, but I don't think it's noticeably stiffer.

Quote:
Is there a way that I can tell?
Have a look under it. Most of the aftermarket stuff is pretty easy to recognize and is often painted bright colors.

Quote:
If anyone has any insight into this exhaust, do you know what the HP is with the upgraded exhaust?
Any horsepower gains are going to be negligible. Most of the experts will tell you that almost all of the horsepower gains are from the cats forward and any changes from cats back is just for sound.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights w/Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, Gen5DIY LED Fog lamp Bulbs, Heritage Grille w/Retro SS Emblem, NLP Spoiler, Custom Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblem, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #9
jgray1978

Drives: '12 2SS/RS 45th vert, '08 Caddy DTS
Thanks everyone. I will try to get pics over the holidays.

Buying this car is a change of pace for me (No pun intended...well, maybe a little). I am 35 years old. I have owned 4 Cadillacs, currently owning a 2008 DTS of which the wife drives now(She's happy). It was time to to get another car and get rid of our Impala but nothing really grabbed me out on the car market. I went to the dealership to look at another Cadillac as well as a Challenger. They had this black 2012 SS2 Camaro on the showroom floor and it grabbed my attention. WE took it home for the weekend but brought it back on Monday. I decided that I wanted a manual as well as had noticed many issues with the car (Onstar malfunction, paint chips/scratches, etc). We ordered this anniversary edition from Colorado and love it. But having driven two 2012 Camaros I can certainly say that this one rides MUCH stiffer.

As for the shifter, I assume that it came from the factory like this. It does have the Hurst logo on the left and right side of the knob. It does have the red white and blue stitching as the seats do (Anniversary edition thing I think).

I do miss some of the features of my Caddys. Most notably would be the Rainsense wipers, auto bright headlight control, and CORNERING LIGHTS!!! If I can figure out a way to retrofit these features, I will.

Speaking of modifications...I am already looking at mods that I can perform. Currently on my list is LED sequential tail lights, replacing the DRL with fog lights(glass lens to run a brighter bulb), and replacing the halos with some red/white color change ones for headlamps and fogs.
jgray1978 is offline   Reply With Quote