Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Chevy Camaro vs... Comparison of Chevy Camaro versus its competition. *NO STREET RACING STORIES*

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #151
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Enjoy the mustang, but honestly, I could really care less if the passenger seat is not power adjustable. I won't be sitting in it ever, so I really don't care As for interior materials being 'cheap'... i still don't understand this one. Its a Camaro, a muscle car, not a luxury vehicle. If you are that worried about the quality of the interior, get a Caddy or something... Anywho, as I've stated before, the only real things that keep me from seriously considering the mustang are the engines (less power, less MPG), and the looks of the rear end (it kind bubbles outward, just looks weird to me). But if these things don't matter to you, than by all means, get what YOU want and not what everyone ELSE wants you to get
Thankfully we are not living in the 60's any more. Your argument does not hold water. If you care so much about what the exterior of the car looks like, it would only make sense that you would care about the interior as well. After all, you as the driver would be seeing it all the time. A muscle car can be comfortable and powerful. Maybe you would like to bring back ignition points, mechanical chokes, non-power drum brakes, non-power steering, 8 track tapes and sweaty-ass vinyl seats.

My question to you is this: have you driven a 2010 GT or is this just all talk?
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #152
Unfair
Banned
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Anywho, as I've stated before, the only real things that keep me from seriously considering the mustang are the engines (less power, less MPG)

You know owners of s197's are getting 24mpg on average with highs of 28mpg right? not that i am into them just correcting some information on your side.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #153
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unfair View Post
You know owners of s197's are getting 24mpg on average with highs of 28mpg right? not that i am into them just correcting some information on your side.
Thats cool and all, but the lack of power is still there. And if they are getting those kinda numbers, I'd like to see what the V6 Camaros are getting after a proper break in, I'm sure it would be higher than those (it would make sense at least, but who knows).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
Thankfully we are not living in the 60's any more. Your argument does not hold water. If you care so much about what the exterior of the car looks like, it would only make sense that you would care about the interior as well. After all, you as the driver would be seeing it all the time. A muscle car can be comfortable and powerful. Maybe you would like to bring back ignition points, mechanical chokes, non-power drum brakes, non-power steering, 8 track tapes and sweaty-ass vinyl seats.

My question to you is this: have you driven a 2010 GT or is this just all talk?
I never said that I don't care about the interior of the car. I said its a muscle car, therefore I don't expect the interior to be extravagant. And I have sat in the (1LT and 2LT) Camaro and it IS plenty comfortable. And I've already stated in quite a few other threads that I like the Camaro interior because it is very unique from all the other cars out there. And I never said anything about driving the 2010, I said the back end is ugly (imo) because it bubbles out. If they'd kept it fairly straight back there, it would look pretty good. And the OTHER reason I love the Camaro so much is because it is a more technologically advanced machine than the 2010 Mustang. DI, independent rear suspension, etc. Those are just facts, and I am not trying to burn you on your choice of car. I appreciate anything that is American, trust me
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #154
logan1080
 
logan1080's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 693
I recently drove my cousins 07' dark grey GT with the 5 speed, nice car, quick, really fun to drive. I like the mustangs but something tells me I just might like my SS better when it arrives.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #155
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Thats cool and all, but the lack of power is still there. And if they are getting those kinda numbers, I'd like to see what the V6 Camaros are getting after a proper break in, I'm sure it would be higher than those (it would make sense at least, but who knows).


I never said that I don't care about the interior of the car. I said its a muscle car, therefore I don't expect the interior to be extravagant. And I have sat in the (1LT and 2LT) Camaro and it IS plenty comfortable. And I've already stated in quite a few other threads that I like the Camaro interior because it is very unique from all the other cars out there. And I never said anything about driving the 2010, I said the back end is ugly (imo) because it bubbles out. If they'd kept it fairly straight back there, it would look pretty good. And the OTHER reason I love the Camaro so much is because it is a more technologically advanced machine than the 2010 Mustang. DI, independent rear suspension, etc. Those are just facts, and I am not trying to burn you on your choice of car. I appreciate anything that is American, trust me
I think the GM V6 is great, no argument with me on that. But "lack of power" is very subjective. The question has to be "how much power do you need"?. Remember the GT is lighter in weight also.

If I had selected Camaro, I would have gone with the V6. But for the same price I went for the GT with the 8 cylinder. And I can tell you it sounds a LOT sweeter than the LT1 that I drove. So it's the same amount of power in a lighter car.

It's purely visual, but when you open the hood, the GT says "ENGINE" and the Camaro says "UGLY BLACK PLASTIC THINGIE". Must have been designed by the interior guys. Unfortunately if you take off the plastic shield, then it just screams "BIG MESS OF HOSES AND WIRES".

You sat in the Camaro, but you owe it to yourself to drive one. (mustang as well) At the risk of repeating myself... I rented one to find out how it was. And I drove two GT's as well. 30K+ Is too much to spend without the proper research.

Yes, it sure is unique, I'll give you that The part about the back of the Mustang being ugly is purely opinion. I actually like that it isn't flat, and I also like that it is somewhat unique compared to the rest of the Mustangs on the road.

More technologically advanced....Let's list out some items and see if the facts bear out your statement.

DI:
Camaro-yes Ford-no

IRS:
Camaro-yes Ford-no

Stability control:
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Nav system
Camaro-no Ford-yes

Voice activated system
Camaro-no Ford-yes

Ipod connections
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Window indexing
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

HID headlamps
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Rear view backup camera
Camaro-no Ford-yes

Tire pressure monitor
Camaro-yes Ford-yes

Ok I'm not seeing any big differences here. The only fact I would give is that the powertrain is a bit more advanced.

Don't get me wrong, I like both cars. I did a lot of research to find what suits me best.
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:08 AM   #156
Unfair
Banned
 
Drives: 2001 Camaro SS
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Thats cool and all, but the lack of power is still there. And if they are getting those kinda numbers, I'd like to see what the V6 Camaros are getting after a proper break in, I'm sure it would be higher than those (it would make sense at least, but who knows).



I never said that I don't care about the interior of the car. I said its a muscle car, therefore I don't expect the interior to be extravagant. And I have sat in the (1LT and 2LT) Camaro and it IS plenty comfortable. And I've already stated in quite a few other threads that I like the Camaro interior because it is very unique from all the other cars out there. And I never said anything about driving the 2010, I said the back end is ugly (imo) because it bubbles out. If they'd kept it fairly straight back there, it would look pretty good. And the OTHER reason I love the Camaro so much is because it is a more technologically advanced machine than the 2010 Mustang. DI, independent rear suspension, etc. Those are just facts, and I am not trying to burn you on your choice of car. I appreciate anything that is American, trust me
As far as technological advancments the 2010 camaro doesn't have touch screen navigation and a dvd player, thats pretty techie i would say. as much as the IRS is advanced the mustang does hold it's own on the track for what it is, just giving props where they are due as i think anyone should.
Unfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:19 AM   #157
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Ok, you guys bring up good points, I will concede that its really up to personal taste and both cars are equally awesome. As for test driving the mustang... if my Camaro weren't arriving next week (possibly) I would be interested, but my mind is kinda set on only one thing till it gets here lol (which does NOT help the wait!!)
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #158
garagelogic
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,687
Well, there is one other thing you guys are leaving out in this comparison. The Mustang is a known quantity and the Camaro is not.

With the same basic chassis having been in production/on the road since 2005, any defects or issues (quality control or mechanical) have likely been engineered out of the Mustang.

The Camaro is just now hitting the roads and we, the consumer, really don't know much about the short or longterm items that are going to be an issue. Some of those issues have already reared their ugly head, albeit is a relatively small number of cases, but they are occuring.

If you are someone who can get past the brand-loyalty issues that abound in the marketplace, this kind of information might play heavily into which car you spend your hard earned cash for.

Personally, I think both are equally impressive offerings.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #159
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
Ok, you guys bring up good points, I will concede that its really up to personal taste and both cars are equally awesome. As for test driving the mustang... if my Camaro weren't arriving next week (possibly) I would be interested, but my mind is kinda set on only one thing till it gets here lol (which does NOT help the wait!!)
It's not too late to come over to the dark side.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #160
Brokinarrow


 
Brokinarrow's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Indianola, IA
Posts: 5,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
It's not too late to come over to the dark side.
Noooo! Must... resist!!
__________________
Brokinarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #161
SK360
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 591
rofl @ a 38,000 dollar GT.

Used C6 Z06's can be had for that!
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:15 AM   #162
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
rofl @ a 38,000 dollar GT.

Used C6 Z06's can be had for that!
What state and what year ? Because I sure have not seen a Z06 go for that. Also where have you seen a 38k GT ?

Do people come here and just pull numbers out of the air to make their point of view seem correct ? FMV for mustangs been done. So if a dealer is telling you 38k, then I hope you laughed heartily, and walked out the door.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #163
benjj
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
What state and what year ? Because I sure have not seen a Z06 go for that. Also where have you seen a 38k GT ?

Do people come here and just pull numbers out of the air to make their point of view seem correct ? FMV for mustangs been done. So if a dealer is telling you 38k, then I hope you laughed heartily, and walked out the door.
the original poster, the guy that was choosing the mustang over the camaro, said $38,xxx for a loaded mustang. i doubt he would inflate the price as he is trying to defend his choosing. mustangs get pricey when u actually get options on them(leather, nav, etc.).

i think the gt's start at 27kish but that is for a very BASIC mustang. i tried building a 2010 mustang as well and came to about the same number as the op. granted it was a loaded '10 mustang, i still would prefer getting an 05-09 before the '10 just bcuz the styling on the '10, to me, is a full step back and down compared to the previous model
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #164
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjj View Post
the original poster, the guy that was choosing the mustang over the camaro, said $38,xxx for a loaded mustang. i doubt he would inflate the price as he is trying to defend his choosing. mustangs get pricey when u actually get options on them(leather, nav, etc.).

i think the gt's start at 27kish but that is for a very BASIC mustang. i tried building a 2010 mustang as well and came to about the same number as the op. granted it was a loaded '10 mustang, i still would prefer getting an 05-09 before the '10 just bcuz the styling on the '10, to me, is a full step back and down compared to the previous model
@38k you must have click on every option known to mankind..

I guess...I have just never seen one that high...In truth a Base GT is still the same car, meh leather seats ect is not there, but you can get everything else. Wow I guess I need to price out a new stang. I must be behind the times. 38k ?? Wow. I still cannot digest that...
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #165
benjj
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: May 2009
Location: arizona
Posts: 191
i agree the op must have clicked everything possible, but personally i ended up around 36k and that was with gt premium, manual trans, 3.73 gears, HID lights, comfort package, and electronics package...i added the last two options bcuz a lot of ppl who choose the mustang bring those up in their comparison as the camaro doesnt offer them, so i figured it only fair that the price be compared with them added. also none of the appearance pieces were put on as they are one's personal taste whether or not they want them on but that would only increase the price further(some of the pieces actually make the car a little more driveable looks wise for me).
benjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #166
KarFan
 
KarFan's Avatar
 
Drives: CARS
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 461
The 2010 Mustang GT follows Ford's plan to keep the base price low and let buyers pick their options at a premium. The Camaro follows what Chevy/GM seem to like and that is price vehicles based on their packages. Hense LS, 1LT, 2LT, 1SS, 2SS. It's a different pricing model and despite the base GT's prce advantage over a 1SS once buyers opt for what really are essentials on the Mustang the price evens quickly.
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #167
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
I agree that the two cars have about the same MSRP for the same options, within reason. The difference is that dealers want MSRP+ for Camaro, but you can get a rebate on Mustang.

BTW one other thing I like about the GT is that there is no penalty for choosing the automatic, same engine & exhaust as the manual. You just can't get the track packs or different axle ratios. (don't ask me why)
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #168
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
BTW one other thing I like about the GT is that there is no penalty for choosing the automatic, same engine & exhaust as the manual. You just can't get the track packs or different axle ratios. (don't ask me why)
Would probably need a different stall converter with those options which would bump the price out more. So, no option.
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:34 AM   #169
SK360
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
What state and what year ? Because I sure have not seen a Z06 go for that. Also where have you seen a 38k GT ?

Do people come here and just pull numbers out of the air to make their point of view seem correct ? FMV for mustangs been done. So if a dealer is telling you 38k, then I hope you laughed heartily, and walked out the door.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...5%3A7%7C39%3A1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLORI...5%3A7%7C39%3A1

Close enough... I have seen them in the 38-40 range on Ebay and Autotrader before.
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #170
Teleplayer
 
Drives: 92 Bonnie SSEI - 2010 GT Soon
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Would probably need a different stall converter with those options which would bump the price out more. So, no option.
Hmm, I always thought the stall speed just affected when the converter starts to "lock up" so to speak. I don't see why you would need a different stall speed with a different axle ratio. If someone knows why, please let me know...........
__________________

1992 SSEI Supercharged 177k miles. 2010 GT coming soon.
Teleplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #171
Ninjak
Banned
 
Drives: 08 GT Mustang | 65 GT Notchbac
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Miami Florida
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
Hmm, I always thought the stall speed just affected when the converter starts to "lock up" so to speak. I don't see why you would need a different stall speed with a different axle ratio. If someone knows why, please let me know...........
Just a wild guess on my part...I have no ideal why......higher gear ratio may screw with something...has to be a reason..
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #172
Q-ship
 
Drives: 1968 Chevelle, 1971 Monte
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Peoples Socialist Republic of California
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleplayer View Post
...BTW one other thing I like about the GT is that there is no penalty for choosing the automatic, same engine & exhaust as the manual. You just can't get the track packs or different axle ratios. (don't ask me why)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
Just a wild guess on my part...I have no ideal why......higher gear ratio may screw with something...has to be a reason..
It is an emission and EPA rating thing, it would require retesting of it in that option combination.........I know it is stupid but that is why. That is same reason that you don't have 10 differnent engines, 5 transmissions, 2 rear axles, and 5 gear ratios to choose like the 69 Camaro had (ah those were the days).
Q-ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #173
Z/28orSs
 
Z/28orSs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 ss
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nj
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotsman View Post
Every time I sit in a 5thgen I feel like a 12 year old version of me checking out a '97 F-body SS. Love it.
hahah +1
__________________
Z/28orSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 AM   #174
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper
 
djsnoflake's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada
Posts: 2,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Well, there is one other thing you guys are leaving out in this comparison. The Mustang is a known quantity and the Camaro is not.

With the same basic chassis having been in production/on the road since 2005, any defects or issues (quality control or mechanical) have likely been engineered out of the Mustang.

The Camaro is just now hitting the roads and we, the consumer, really don't know much about the short or longterm items that are going to be an issue. Some of those issues have already reared their ugly head, albeit is a relatively small number of cases, but they are occuring.

If you are someone who can get past the brand-loyalty issues that abound in the marketplace, this kind of information might play heavily into which car you spend your hard earned cash for.

Personally, I think both are equally impressive offerings.

As hard as I try not to, I like you more and more with every post!

__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dear GM - Please don't forget about the small town guys JMAN311 Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions 27 02-07-2009 08:15 PM
You guys think this will stand the test of time? ucla1ove3 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 1 01-21-2009 11:37 PM
YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME.. You are costing me $$$$!! Matrix Off-topic Discussions 18 01-04-2009 02:09 AM
Hoping you guys can help! 69 Camaro 09 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 5 09-21-2008 12:57 AM
you guys look smart. brotherben 4th Generation Camaros 17 09-07-2008 09:33 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.