Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Forced Induction - V6 V6 Supercharger, turbo, nitrous discussions

Old 12-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
starscream88

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS Transformers Edition
Send a message via Skype™ to starscream88
Question Compatible mods with IPF supercharger

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I've not found a clear answer to this yet.

I am strongly considering installing the IPF supercharger and as of right now my only real mods are an intake and axle-back exhaust. Obviously the intake has to go, but my question is will other mods like LT headers, ported TB, Ice-olater work with this system? These are all mods I have considered, but I don't want to invest in them if I will just have to take them off for the SC.

Also, is there an exhaust setup that is best for the SC? In terms of axleback vs. catback? Thanks!
starscream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: Supercharged V6
Long tube headers will definitely help your car breathe better but i recommend going cat less if you can. SC + high flow cats can be disastrous.

Best bet for headers with no cats is the OBX LT's

I took my Black ice-o-later and plenum spacer because thats what the Owner of IPF suggested. Some have had tuning issues with the spacers on so I just left them off. A good mod thats a good bang for the buck is the Vmax Ported throttle body.

I think you'll be fine with your axle back, but moving to a LS3 cat-back wouldn't hurt and if you do get Headers, you might want a magnaflow resonated x pipe to combat the rasp.

Be nice to see another Transformers Ed. with the IPF kit.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
starscream88

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually first heard of the IPF from your build thread, I had no idea the LLT had a supercharger available to it! I've been out of the car scene for a bit (grad school is a pain), but now that I'm out with a job again I thought it was way past time to jump back in.

So you would choose OBX over BBK? I seem to remember some rust issues with them, but that was a few years back.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream88 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! I actually first heard of the IPF from your build thread, I had no idea the LLT had a supercharger available to it! I've been out of the car scene for a bit (grad school is a pain), but now that I'm out with a job again I thought it was way past time to jump back in.

So you would choose OBX over BBK? I seem to remember some rust issues with them, but that was a few years back.
Cool to know

I wouldn't choose OBX over my BBK's but, if you do get BBK's I would highly suggest going cat less. BBK doesn't offer off road collectors (catless pipes) for us. Which means you would either have to gut yours, or go to a shop and get straight pipes, and then sell yours.

OBX has catless pipes from the Start, that's why I mentioned it

Having said that I love my BBK's, and I've also heard nothing but good reviews for the OBX's on our cars.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Ported throttle body, obx headers, solo hi flo cats, solo cat back with integrated x pipe and tunable j-pipes. The solo hi flo cats should be fine.
And most important a good catch can setup. I have a single saikou Michi catch can but am going to a dual can setup for improved protection. These guys make these cans specifically for SC application.
http://www.saikoumichi.com
Take a look at Sycraft and a few others to get a good idea of the routing of these systems. IPF evac system is good but you can do better. The rest of the setup is really great !
Old 12-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
I agree that Solo HFC's should be fine, but paired with the JBA short tube headers on my LLT the Solo's melted and collapsed within 30 miles of the IPF install- both sides!

I've since re-installed the stock cats without issue and without any seat-of-the-pants loss of power. I'm unaware of anyone having an issue with IPF S/C and retaining stock cats as an option to going catless.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
SC + high flow cats can be disastrous.
How so? Just wanting to know since I might go FI next year and I'm about to get my BBK w/high flow cats installed
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Ventmaster

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS 1LT M6
Many of the HFC's included with LT headers for an additional $100 or so fall into the "get what you pay for" category and cannot withstand the additional heat and increased flows you get with FI.

It can result in them "telescoping" and collapsing. Even higher quality high flows can fail if exposed to a poor tune.

If running FI and your exhaust system is suddenly closed, the back pressure can build high enuff to float exhaust valves and allow combustion temps to be exposed to parts of the engine not designed for it.

Significant damage results.
Airaid CAI, Rx ported TB, Mace ported IM, JBA shorty headers, Richmond 3.73, Borla touring axleback, Hurst short throw, NH-SS fix, IDEALG clutch m/c, SS struts/springs, Spohn trailing arms, Pfadt Racing sways, Pedders radius arm & rear subframe bushing inserts, 2LT gauge pkg.TSW Nurburgs. IPF S/C
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Aequitas & Veritas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
So if I decide to go FI down the road would it be better to go catless now or just go catless then or gut mine when the time comes?
Aequitas & Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Many of the HFC's included with LT headers for an additional $100 or so fall into the "get what you pay for" category and cannot withstand the additional heat and increased flows you get with FI.

It can result in them "telescoping" and collapsing. Even higher quality high flows can fail if exposed to a poor tune.

If running FI and your exhaust system is suddenly closed, the back pressure can build high enuff to float exhaust valves and allow combustion temps to be exposed to parts of the engine not designed for it.

Significant damage results.
when I bought my kit another IPF'er blew his engine because of this...

I gutted my cats, and it is quite a bit of work but once you get the hang of it, it gets easier.

That said, I would go catless now. Jmo
Old 12-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
starscream88

Hmm def sounds like I will be going for the OBX then, a lot less work for the same effect.

But my other question, is there any benefit to a cat-back system to the axle-back in regard to the supercharger? I have no experience with SC, but in turbo cars I have worked on in the past, I know the exhaust is very important to the setup.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2012 Camaro LS "Hot Blown Six"
Solo cats, Solo exhaust and a revised evap system, ported throttle body. but I am a LFX... suspension should be on the short list to put the power down smoothly

2012 LS M6,ZL1Brakes, OEM Foglights (BCM Flashed for Fogs),4 Pack Guages, Factory Reproduction Wheels,Nitto NT05 tires 275/315 stagger, Leather OEM Steering Wheel,Hurst Shifter, GM Hurst Leather Shifter knob,OEM Leather Console top,Carbon Fiber Stripe Package,Emblems with Carbon overlays, ZL1 Grill,LSR Stage 4 susp,1LE Strut Brace, SOLO Cats and Exhaust, 1LE Struts/shocks, IPF Supercharger-Redline Motorsports, FSP Tuning
sycraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
Lil' Nasty
Emerald Coast Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream88 View Post
Hmm def sounds like I will be going for the OBX then, a lot less work for the same effect.

But my other question, is there any benefit to a cat-back system to the axle-back in regard to the supercharger? I have no experience with SC, but in turbo cars I have worked on in the past, I know the exhaust is very important to the setup.
Exhausts add very little power on our cars. Not enough to justify the switch to a cat-back. I would invest (if you really want too) in a LS3 cat back exhaust and weld it to your axle back.

Tags
engine, exhaust, ipf supercharger kit v6 boost, modification